The Student Room Group

Are exam mistakes shaking your confidence?

Poll

Have this year’s exam errors made you lose faith in the system?

It seems that this year there are a lot of mistakes in exams, from OCR calling Tybalt a Montague in GCSE English, AQA wrongly labeling chapters and a nonsensical question in a Psychology exam!

Have you ever been in an exam where a question was completely wrong? What happened? Invigilators tell you to cross it out? Did it knock your confidence?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just the one mentioned, AQA and the chapters for 'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde" question.
Yes! it was the 2015 gcse chemistry paper question which wasn't incorrect, just gave us the answer...
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jun/09/students-take-to-twitter-to-applaud-error-in-gsce-chemistry-exam
Did you just do the chemistry a level? Our invigilators made us cross out the question! what was that about??
Reply 4
I JUST WAS GOING TO MAKE A THREAD ABOUT THIS, OCR ARE ****.

One mistake in my macroeconomics exam today and one in my psychology one last week. The economics one made me bug out and meant I rushed my essays. OCR need to stop doing this especially when we are doing these exams under such pressure.
Reply 5
Original post by urawizardmolly
Did you just do the chemistry a level? Our invigilators made us cross out the question! what was that about??

What board?
There was a typo in one of my GCSE science exams last year (can't remember which) but that's all I believe...
Original post by Rtdsv
I JUST WAS GOING TO MAKE A THREAD ABOUT THIS, OCR ARE ****.

One mistake in my macroeconomics exam today and one in my psychology one last week. The economics one made me bug out and meant I rushed my essays. OCR need to stop doing this especially when we are doing these exams under such pressure.

There wasn't a mistake in OCR economics.
I'm assuming you're talking about the question that said that falling oil prices would lead to inflation. The answer is about imports/exports and the exchange rate.
The essays were all very easy and the exam wasn't time pressured.

Psychology I can understand, but in this macroeconomics exam, there is no excuse.
Reply 8
Original post by Theblacktsar
There wasn't a mistake in OCR economics.
I'm assuming you're talking about the question that said that falling oil prices would lead to inflation. The answer is about imports/exports and the exchange rate.
The essays were all very easy and the exam wasn't time pressured.

Psychology I can understand, but in this macroeconomics exam, there is no excuse.

I'm talking about the lorenz curve.
Reply 9
Yeah, it was too hard.
:headfire:
There was an error in the A Level Chemistry paper yesterday afternoon (don't know what exam board). I was sitting Law at the same time and the invigilator was telling the Chem people before the exam to cross out a question, as the exam board had told them it was a mistake.

Edit: I believe @urawizardmolly has already mentioned this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Error in my OCR D1 exam. We had an erratum notice at the beginning tho, and it was a super small thing
(edited 6 years ago)
I need a hug guys I missed out the last page in the GCSE OCR Chem exam today, I wamt to cry blood!
AQA Chemistry A-level paper 1 yesterday had a mistake which really threw me, particularly because my school didnt find the message until I'd started the exam (It's just me and I was in a room with people doing a law exam) so they actually had to take me into another room to explain stuff to me. Barely finished the paper in time and I know i made some stupid mistakes as a result of it.
2016 AS Physics paper 2 and AS Biology paper 2 had mistakes in it.

In Physics paper 2, the multiple question 9 had 2 answers out of 4 so we were not allowed to answer it.
In Biology paper 2, a diagram had "ATP + Pi = ATP".
OMDZ, the OCR A GCE Biology paper on biological processes had me lose fath as there were only 3/4 questions in the whole paper that actually tested knowledge of quite specific and obscure concepts in the whole syllabus (which is REALLY DEEP with content) and the rest was HSW or practical stuff that we had to be able to digest and respond to on the spot. It was honestly a wreck of an exam, especially when we told to assess a firms claim on plant hormones with vague graphs and use standard deviation and the volume of a sphere without a data sheet.
Reply 18
Original post by Popsiclez
I need a hug guys I missed out the last page in the GCSE OCR Chem exam today, I wamt to cry blood!

Was it the 6 mark question??
Reply 19
Only at university. Seems to be par for the course..

Quick Reply

Latest