The Student Room Group

Spanish Edexcel A2 22nd of June

Does anyone have any predictions for the discursive essay title in the Edexcel A-level paper this Thursday.:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by winwantsastars
Does anyone have any predictions for the discursive essay title in the Edexcel A-level paper this Thursday.:s-smilie:

No idea what the discursive essays could be tbh :frown:

Are you doing a book/film for the second essay, or have you studied something else?
Niether I just hope it's nothing difficult, I'm doing film,
I have this exam tomorrow! I'm really not prepared, I'm hoping the discursive essay is good
Reply 4
Original post by kp0pfan21
I have this exam tomorrow! I'm really not prepared, I'm hoping the discursive essay is good

Loool me too. ..i hope its nothing too difficult
Reply 5
Hey guys!! How did you find the translation and the exam in general??
Hey! I thought translation was harder than previous years, discursive wasn't too bad an the RBE (I did a film) was a bit awkward..
The translation was okay but I realised I made some mistakes after I left the exam hall 😂 The literature question was a bit hard to answer & I only had one quote I remember for that kind of question.
Here's some stuff I remember putting for the translation!!! Pls, pls share what you put/what you think of these points. :smile:

1. billetes for tickets - is that wrong bc should be "entradas" for a performance-type ticket? damn maybe "billete" is only for airplanes etc.... damn

2. "festival" for festival - felt simplistic but figured it was okay?

3. The boyfriend part: I thought carefully and put it ALL in preterite, not imperfect. HOPEFULLY not a big mistake. Pls tell me what you put! I put: “lo que a él le gusto lo más fue la variedad de temas que se presentaron”. He did enjoy them over a period of time so *maybe* imperfect is correct, but I felt like she was talking about what he "liked" and what "happened" in a preterite sense. Like "me gustó la comida".

3. Something like "aunque se estan convirtiendo en cada vez mas populares". Is "convertir" correct here, and am I right in thinking it needs "en"? Also, I figured no subjunctive because felt like they were trying to trick you into treating "aunque" like "even if", when in this context it means "although" (hence is certain= indicative)

4. "Si hubiera tenido mas tiempo, habría hablado con más actores"

5. “Cuando vuelva el próximo ano” I figured it had to be subjunctive for the future, even though it seems fairly certain that he’s returning. What do you think? Should it be “vuelvo”?

6. I said así for “I don’t think there are other festivals like this”. Debated between putting “como esto” and “así” because I didn’t know if “así” could work like that. Thoughts? "como esto" would have seemed wrong and clumsy

5. "espero poder ..... " trying to trick us into using subjunctive instead of infinitive, but needs to be infinitive

My mistakes: i put "dramática" not "drama", wtf. Prob lots more after you all tell me what you put lol
Original post by thursdaygirl
Here's some stuff I remember putting for the translation!!! Pls, pls share what you put/what you think of these points. :smile:

1. billetes for tickets - is that wrong bc should be "entradas" for a performance-type ticket? damn maybe "billete" is only for airplanes etc.... damn

3. The boyfriend part: I thought carefully and put it ALL in preterite, not imperfect. HOPEFULLY not a big mistake. Pls tell me what you put! I put: “lo que a él le gusto lo más fue la variedad de temas que se presentaron”. He did enjoy them over a period of time so *maybe* imperfect is correct, but I felt like she was talking about what he "liked" and what "happened" in a preterite sense. Like "me gustó la comida".

3. Something like "aunque se estan convirtiendo en cada vez mas populares". Is "convertir" correct here, and am I right in thinking it needs "en"? Also, I figured no subjunctive because felt like they were trying to trick you into treating "aunque" like "even if", when in this context it means "although" (hence is certain= indicative)

5. “Cuando vuelva el próximo ano” I figured it had to be subjunctive for the future, even though it seems fairly certain that he’s returning. What do you think? Should it be “vuelvo”?

6. I said así for “I don’t think there are other festivals like this”. Debated between putting “como esto” and “así” because I didn’t know if “así” could work like that. Thoughts? "como esto" would have seemed wrong and clumsy

5. "espero poder ..... " trying to trick us into using subjunctive instead of infinitive, but needs to be infinitive

My mistakes: i put "dramática" not "drama", wtf. Prob lots more after you all tell me what you put lol

I put "billetes" too

I put "fiesta", but I think festival is right - hopefully they may be generous

I then put "lo que a él le gustaba mejor fue la variedad de temas que fueron presentados"

Then I put "aunque se estan hiciendo cada vez mas populares"

"Si hubiera tenido mas tiempo, huberia hablado con unos de los actores"

"Cuando vuelva el ano que viene"

"No creo que hay otras fiestas como ésta"

"At the end I put "espero que pueda ..."
Reply 10
does anyone remember what the question for Hispanohablante was? for the RBE essay
Reply 11
Original post by syedem
does anyone remember what the question for Hispanohablante was? for the RBE essay

Don't remember exactly but it asked about a recent problem in spanish speaking society and to analyse the causes of it I think:s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by lolaona
Don't remember exactly but it asked about a recent problem in spanish speaking society and to analyse the causes of it I think:s-smilie:

yup thats pretty much it thank you!
Original post by thursdaygirl

Original post by Frenchspanish101
I put "billetes" too

I put "fiesta", but I think festival is right - hopefully they may be generous

I then put "lo que a él le gustaba mejor fue la variedad de temas que fueron presentados"

Then I put "aunque se estan hiciendo cada vez mas populares"

"Si hubiera tenido mas tiempo, huberia hablado con unos de los actores"

"Cuando vuelva el ano que viene"

"No creo que hay otras fiestas como ésta"

"At the end I put "espero que pueda ..."

I didn't do the exam, but as a native speaker maybe I can make some comments?

1) I don't know how strict the mark scheme is, but in normal everyday speech it wouldn't sound wrong or incorrect to use "billete" for a performance even though "entrada" would be more commonly used.

2) Yes the Spanish word for "festival" is the same.

3) I don't know the context of the sentence, but almost certain that preterite is the correct tense to use. Can't really think of an example right now in the sentence structure where it sounds correct to say "presentaban".

4) The sentence "aunque se están convirtiendo en cada vez mas populares" is grammatically incorrect although native speakers would still understand you. The most common way to phrase it would be "aunque se están haciendo cada vez más populares".

4) This sentence sounds fine to me.

5) You are correct, subjunctive is a necessity in this case, it has to be "vuelva". Again, I don't know how strict they are, because even though "el próximo año" is technically correct, never in all my life have I heard a Spaniard phrase it like that. They always say "el año que viene".

6) "Así" would work and indeed "como esto" sounds clumsy because the best way to say it would be "como este". "Esto" is "this" and "este/a" is "this one".
Reply 14
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

1) I don't know how strict the mark scheme is, but in normal everyday speech it wouldn't sound wrong or incorrect to use "billete" for a performance even though "entrada" would be more commonly used.

3) I don't know the context of the sentence, but almost certain that preterite is the correct tense to use. Can't really think of an example right now in the sentence structure where it sounds correct to say "presentaban".

4) The sentence "aunque se están convirtiendo en cada vez mas populares" is grammatically incorrect although native speakers would still understand you. The most common way to phrase it would be "aunque se están haciendo cada vez más populares".

5) You are correct, subjunctive is a necessity in this case, it has to be "vuelva". Again, I don't know how strict they are, because even though "el próximo año" is technically correct, never in all my life have I heard a Spaniard phrase it like that. They always say "el año que viene".

6) "Así" would work and indeed "como esto" sounds clumsy because the best way to say it would be "como este". "Esto" is "this" and "este/a" is "this one".

Totally agree, native speaker here too! How were the other questions? The discursive essay? How did you find it in general? Easier than last years?

Thanks sooo much!! So useful. I suspected "convertir" was wrong, oops. I prob have about 7/10 in the translation but the essays were strong (hopefully) so I'm not too worried.
Reply 16
:u:Did anybody do requiem por un campesino espanol??? How was the question??
could you say estaban presentados?
Original post by Potit
Totally agree, native speaker here too! How were the other questions? The discursive essay? How did you find it in general? Easier than last years?

Are you asking me those questions or the OP?
Reply 19
Original post by zoemlambert
could you say estaban presentados?

Are you asking me those questions or the OP?

01. If it was 'the variety of themes that were being presented' it would be la variedad de temas que fueron presentados or perhaps que estaban siendo presentados, but that might be a bit too far, whilst the most straighforward thing would be que se presentaban / que se presentaron.... hope this helps

02. Im asking everyone in general who took the exam!! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending