The Student Room Group

Spanish a2 (aqa) 2017

My cultural topics are Volver and Peru and I don't even know how to revise

has anyone done the 2016 paper? or know the date of the exam this year?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! Our cultural topics are La Casa de Bernarda Alba and Volver.

I think someone told me the paper was on 22nd June (which seems really late..)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing La Casa de Bernada Alba and Volver

I did the 2016 paper the other day and it was hard☹️ especially the listening, the essays were okay I did one about are themes in LCdBA relevant for young people

The exam is on the 22nd - it says it on the confirmed timetable on aqa's website
Reply 3
Original post by laurenjaderiley

I did the 2016 paper the other day and it was hard☹️ especially the listening, the essays were okay I did one about are themes in LCdBA relevant for young people

The exam is on the 22nd - it says it on the confirmed timetable on aqa's website

Ahhh I've not done the actual paper but I did an essay from it...how was it for you? I did the one about if the play is a tragedy and/or a romance

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the 2016 paper for my mocks.
I thought it was a fairly nice paper (reading and listening wise). Although there were certain questions where the answer is implied rather than explicitly mentioned so you end up having to decide between two answers because they are both very plausible, but of course only one is correct (ARGH, HATE when they do that :angry:)

The translations I found fairly hard. I flopped so much and lost quite a few marks here because of how specific you need to be.

Everyone else is correct about the date. I received my summer timetable for my exams and the AQA A2 paper is on 22/06 at 09:00, 150min in length.

I find it fairly hard to revise for Spanish. Perhaps, if you wanted to and any other people, we could practice together? over Skype or something like that? Practice speaking and maybe going through some papers, helping each other. Might be a really good way to learn.

I'm doing different topics though. 'El coronel no tiene quien le escriba' and 'Todo sobre mi madre'
Reply 5
We're doing Quino and Ocho Apellidos Vascos, anyone else?
Reply 6
Original post by JaredzzC
I did the 2016 paper for my mocks.
I thought it was a fairly nice paper (reading and listening wise). Although there were certain questions where the answer is implied rather than explicitly mentioned so you end up having to decide between two answers because they are both very plausible, but of course only one is correct (ARGH, HATE when they do that :angry:)

The translations I found fairly hard. I flopped so much and lost quite a few marks here because of how specific you need to be.

Everyone else is correct about the date. I received my summer timetable for my exams and the AQA A2 paper is on 22/06 at 09:00, 150min in length.

I find it fairly hard to revise for Spanish. Perhaps, if you wanted to and any other people, we could practice together? over Skype or something like that? Practice speaking and maybe going through some papers, helping each other. Might be a really good way to learn.

I'm doing different topics though. 'El coronel no tiene quien le escriba' and 'Todo sobre mi madre'

OMG the translations are always so difficult for me. Like you said, it's annoying how precise you have to be with them. I just keep thinking about all the stuff I have to revise for the exam this year and it's so overwhelming. I would love to revise over skype since Im the only person in my class and I don't really get to have discussion or debates with classmates ahah. Also, we're both studying Almodovar so we could discuss that and his work :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by laurenjaderiley

HEY! I was wondering since we're both doing Volver we could discuss and compare notes and stuff if you wanted to? My teachers kind of useless and I really would like the help because it is interesting and I have quite a bit to say about it :smile:
Im doing La Casa de Bernada Alba and my other topic is on Catalunia. I struggle most with the work on Catalunia as there is a lot on politics and independence which i am not at all confident with! Is anyone else doing this topic?

I really like La Casa de Bernada Alba and feel like I understand the play and all the symbols and Lorcas infulences well, however i just get consistantly low marks on my essays as i struggle with essay stucture etc. Anyone got any tips?

Oh, and for the translations and stuff my school pay for this website called Vocab Express, it can be very tedious and take a long time but if you just do it it helped me LOADs in my mocks.
Original post by sixthform98
SOOO, I'm in my last year of Spanish and I'm the only one in my class :unimpressed::unimpressed:
I love Spanish and learning it and just speaking it but I HATE the exams! The essays are the worst.

My cultural topics are Volver and Peru and I don't even know how to revise

I haven't actually seen any discussions for this specific exam so hopefully everyone doing A2 Spanish and even AS if you want can chat on here :smile:

BTW, has anyone done the 2016 paper? or know the date of the exam this year?

I'm one of 2 people in my class!! counldnt agree more i absolutely love the language and learning to speak it but the exams are just horrific and i cant seem to do well on my essays. The speaking is the worst for me im absolutely dreading that!

I did the 2016 paper for my mock last week and though it had gone well but then came back with an E. The paper was fine but lost a lot of marks on the essay I also found the listening a lot harder than the reading which is usualy the other way arounf for me!!
Original post by amyfoster
Im doing La Casa de Bernada Alba and my other topic is on Catalunia. I struggle most with the work on Catalunia as there is a lot on politics and independence which i am not at all confident with! Is anyone else doing this topic?

I really like La Casa de Bernada Alba and feel like I understand the play and all the symbols and Lorcas infulences well, however i just get consistantly low marks on my essays as i struggle with essay stucture etc. Anyone got any tips?

Oh, and for the translations and stuff my school pay for this website called Vocab Express, it can be very tedious and take a long time but if you just do it it helped me LOADs in my mocks.

The region topics are the worst. I am doing it in french and spanish and I just hate how broad it is. I can never write a decent essay for them.

However my teachers always keep telling me PEE paragraphs for essay. I know it sounds basic and you've been told it loads probably but if you just think about your main point, include some examples to back it up and then analysis which could be your opinion or like why the author did this or whatever and ALWAYS LINK BACK to the question just to remind yourself what your main point of this essay is. In languages I like being really risky and trying to do so much and make it fancy but for A2 I've learnt to tone it down as in I stick to phrases I know are correct and an essay sounds better if it is acurrate overall rather than fancy structures every sentence. My teacher always tells me you don't want our essay to be like eating honey with sugar - basically too much. I would also stick to points and research that is a bit different to just the basic stuff everyone is taught. Wow the examiner, like make them think 'oh yeeh, I didn't notice that'. Also for each of my cultural topics I learn off by heart an introduction that can be adapted to any essay title just so I don't waste time rambling on and it overall makes it seem like you have a structure going on to the examiner. On the downside I am rubbish at conclusions because i get so lazy towards the end haha

I feel like im probably just repeating what your teachers must say to you all the time sorry haha
The region topics are the worst. I am doing it in french and spanish and I just hate how broad it is. I can never write a decent essay for them.

However my teachers always keep telling me PEE paragraphs for essay. I know it sounds basic and you've been told it loads probably but if you just think about your main point, include some examples to back it up and then analysis which could be your opinion or like why the author did this or whatever and ALWAYS LINK BACK to the question just to remind yourself what your main point of this essay is. In languages I like being really risky and trying to do so much and make it fancy but for A2 I've learnt to tone it down as in I stick to phrases I know are correct and an essay sounds better if it is acurrate overall rather than fancy structures every sentence. My teacher always tells me you don't want our essay to be like eating honey with sugar - basically too much. I would also stick to points and research that is a bit different to just the basic stuff everyone is taught. Wow the examiner, like make them think 'oh yeeh, I didn't notice that'. Also for each of my cultural topics I learn off by heart an introduction that can be adapted to any essay title just so I don't waste time rambling on and it overall makes it seem like you have a structure going on to the examiner. On the downside I am rubbish at conclusions because i get so lazy towards the end haha

I feel like im probably just repeating what your teachers must say to you all the time sorry haha

No thats really helpful thankyou!! My teacher always says that my points are good but my essays just dont flow and jump around all over the place, so a structure like that is exactly what i need to focus on. Thankyou!
Original post by sim_k
Ahhh I've not done the actual paper but I did an essay from it...how was it for you? I did the one about if the play is a tragedy and/or a romance

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got it back and got a C, with 29/40 on the essay which is better than i thought - the exam was okay it was just the first listening question which is identify who the sentence is about or if its about neither which was hard and then the translations, other than that it was relitively okay to be honest
HEY! I was wondering since we're both doing Volver we could discuss and compare notes and stuff if you wanted to? My teachers kind of useless and I really would like the help because it is interesting and I have quite a bit to say about it :smile:

I would but my teachers are the same! I used grade savers summary and analysis of LCDBA for my mock, and i've pretty much decided that im not going to do Volver as an essay in the exam because i just feel like i can't write enough and for LCDBA i have loads i can write on pretty much any essay. If my teachers give us more notes and stuff tho then i might reconsider but they literally have given us a zig-zag booklet for Volver which is useless :frown: so we can do cos i'd love some notes on it! I just might not have loads to say in return!

I've had to make a new account because my old one got banned for 'advertising'? because i tried to put the link to a useful website for La Casa de Bernada Alba revision haha, so i'll reply on this account from now on
We could perhaps make a group chat on Skype for all of us doing AQA A2 Spanish? How does that sound to everyone?

I understand that some of us are doing different topics, but if it's the same author then there is still room for discussion, and even if it's not about the texts then we can help each other with reading/listening/translations etc : ) I think it would be a really good study tool to help us prepare for the exams because apart from during lessons then it's not always the easiest to revise/practise languages.
(edited 7 years ago)
We could perhaps make a group chat on Skype for all of us doing AQA A2 Spanish? How does that sound to everyone?

I understand that some of us are doing different topics, but if it's the same author then there is still room for discussion, and even if it's not about the texts then we can help each other with reading/listening/translations etc : ) I think it would be a really good study tool to help us prepare for the exams because apart from during lessons then it's not always the easiest to revise/practise languages.

This sounds like a great idea, it would really help. I'm doing Andalucia and Maria llena eres de gracia for the cultural topics. I am so nervous for the speaking exam more than anything!
Hi everyone, so glad to see a AQA Spanish group! my cultural topics are Cuba (is anyone else doing Cuba?) and Machuca (a chilean film). I can't believe how much harder A2 is than AS, but hopefully we will all be fine after a couple of months of hard work! BTW a skype group sounds great!! xxx

is this happening then?
Sorry, I have been fairly inactive on TSR recently and quite busy lately which is why I haven't given much attention to the thread but I would still love this to go ahead.

I had received very few replies so I wasn't aware if people were still up for the idea, but it can be extremely hard to try and practice the speaking so I'm sure this will benefit us, even if only a few people join.

I will send you all details tomorrow about it! Thanks for your patience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending