The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

I need advice

Here is the thing, I have not done anything really in the first year of uni because I was trying so hard to keep up by teaching myself, I skipped the exams now it's been a month since the exams finished, no warning or any other instruction on whether I'm getting kicked out or need to resit. I don't know what's going on, I asked what module I'm doing next year and I've been told that module seletion was made already(that's true, but I brought up the question to see if there is anything unusual going on), except that nothing else, no warning about missing the studies and exams.
So what is going on? FYI it's kinda **** subject because I entered through clearing I failed my main subject for imperial now I'm doing a whole new subject just for that degree. And plus I've been told that first year result doesn't count but still I would like to know if anything else is going on
Original post by VlAd x
Here is the thing, I have not done anything really in the first year of uni because I was trying so hard to keep up by teaching myself, I skipped the exams now it's been a month since the exams finished, no warning or any other instruction on whether I'm getting kicked out or need to resit. I don't know what's going on, I asked what module I'm doing next year and I've been told that module seletion was made already(that's true, but I brought up the question to see if there is anything unusual going on), except that nothing else, no warning about missing the studies and exams.
So what is going on? FYI it's kinda **** subject because I entered through clearing I failed my main subject for imperial now I'm doing a whole new subject just for that degree. And plus I've been told that first year result doesn't count but still I would like to know if anything else is going on

So my understanding is you are hiding and on a degree course you dont wish to be on?

At some stage you are going to have to talk to someone? made any friends? What about your tutor?
Have you checked your e-mails?
Do you want the course or not?

Why didnt you just resit?

Whilst you are out of contact be sure that the departmental admin have noticed you havent sat the exams. Eventually they will contact you and if you don't show or explain then they will terminate. What else would you expect?

If it were me I would find a degree I wanted and put this one down to a £15,000-£20,000 mistake. I cant see how they can let you proceed if you didn't do the exams.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
So my understanding is you are hiding and on a degree course you dont wish to be on?

At some stage you are going to have to talk to someone? made any friends? What about your tutor?
Have you checked your e-mails?
Do you want the course or not?

Why didnt you just resit?

Whilst you are out of contact be sure that the departmental admin have noticed you havent sat the exams. Eventually they will contact you and if you don't show or explain then they will terminate. What else would you expect?

If it were me I would find a degree I wanted and put this one down to a £15,000-£20,000 mistake. I cant see how they can let you proceed if you didn't do the exams.

I don't know how they are gonna let me proceed because they said nothing about my absence not even the exam absence, the thing is I actually don't wanna keep doing education because my parents forced me too much, but I have to do it because obviously they are still forcing me, there isn't anything I am insterested in anymore, I chose math only because I was good at it, physics was just a plan b. If u ask me, I would say whichever is available as long as I get a degree in a good uni. For now I think I have to work hard in summer holidays and try to keep up next year, from what I hear only third year a2 exams matter. Maybe this department is so bad that they just let u keep going, because I literally received nothing else in my mail box except for fee requests.
Original post by VlAd x

As far as I am aware..

You can not progress onto the next stage of study without the required amount of credits (usually 120) so regardless of grades or 1st year modules not counting, if you have not got 120 credits you'll have to retake the modules. Having said that, lecturers can also choose to kick you off the course if they feel you're not a strong enough student/not showing any engagement.

As far as not being offered a retake - you should have been. It is most universities policy that they have to offer you a retake so I would query that with your programme leader.
Original post by VlAd x

Hi there

I'd recommend speaking with your personal tutor about your concerns, if you aren't sure about the course you are on then it's definitely better to speak up about it sooner rather than later.

Good luck getting things sorted out.

Emma A
Reply 5
Original post by amy_kings
As far as I am aware..

You can not progress onto the next stage of study without the required amount of credits (usually 120) so regardless of grades or 1st year modules not counting, if you have not got 120 credits you'll have to retake the modules. Having said that, lecturers can also choose to kick you off the course if they feel you're not a strong enough student/not showing any engagement.

As far as not being offered a retake - you should have been. It is most universities policy that they have to offer you a retake so I would query that with your programme leader.

Yes I know all that, but the thing is this department doesn't seem serious at all, they have not said anything about retake or kicking me out, there is even a 50 year old man listening in the class as well
Original post by VlAd x
I don't know how they are gonna let me proceed because they said nothing about my absence not even the exam absence, the thing is I actually don't wanna keep doing education because my parents forced me too much, but I have to do it because obviously they are still forcing me, there isn't anything I am insterested in anymore, I chose math only because I was good at it, physics was just a plan b. If u ask me, I would say whichever is available as long as I get a degree in a good uni. For now I think I have to work hard in summer holidays and try to keep up next year, from what I hear only third year a2 exams matter. Maybe this department is so bad that they just let u keep going, because I literally received nothing else in my mail box except for fee requests.

I dint think they will ot can. the answer will be in the exam rules., but you are normally required to pass your modules. My point was the admin is a bit slow and they just havent got round to expelling you yet.

So you dont want education but you will carry on witth degree because of your parents? You do realise it will get harder? they will ask you to sit the exams in the summer or they wont let you progress.

You will receive something eventually, but tbh you have been avoiding finding out, so you have yourself to blame for that.

It all sounds like a waste. You only get one uni education and you could save your funding till you are ready to do a course you want. Carrying on for parents seems very risky and miserable.
Original post by VlAd x
Yes I know all that, but the thing is this department doesn't seem serious at all, they have not said anything about retake or kicking me out, there is even a 50 year old man listening in the class as well

Sometimes you have to help yourself. Focus on your part and not whether the department has noticed. They will care when they dont get the money next term. Its only a matter of time.
Am right in assuming you're studying maths? They will email you about resits when the period 2 results come out. You can also contact them now and ask them what's going to happen. Also, if there was any other reason other than hating the course/not having studied for it that made you miss the exams, there's a procedure for retrospective withdrawal from the exams.
Original post by VlAd x
...there is even a 50 year old man listening in the class as well
Also, I'm curious. What do you mean by this part?
Original post by NoNickname
Also, I'm curious. What do you mean by this part?

Exactly, what he says.
There is a mature student attending the university.

You're never too old to do some maths.
Original post by kavindajd
Exactly, what he says.
There is a mature student attending the university.

You're never too old to do some maths.
In that case, the OP is just a dick!

Quick Reply

Latest