The Student Room Group

Newcastle vs university of Liverpool

Which overall reputation is better for uni? Which is more respected by employers? Broadly speaking not specifically?
Reply 1
Original post by Yazan10
Which overall reputation is better for uni? Which is more respected by employers? Broadly speaking not specifically?

According to the QS rankings, Newcastle has an employer reputation of 66.4, whereas Liverpool has just 47.5.

On the Complete University Guide, Newcastle scores 82.5 for graduate prospects, whereas Liverpool is at 76.5.

According to Which? Uni, Newcastle has a £22k average graduate salary, whereas Liverpool is £21.7k

I could go on, but it looks like Newcastle is scoring higher in every category.
Reply 2
Original post by Amefish

According to the QS rankings, Newcastle has an employer reputation of 66.4, whereas Liverpool has just 47.5.

On the Complete University Guide, Newcastle scores 82.5 for graduate prospects, whereas Liverpool is at 76.5.

According to Which? Uni, Newcastle has a £22k average graduate salary, whereas Liverpool is £21.7k

What about queen Mary, London?
Reply 3
Original post by Yazan10
What about queen Mary, London?

49.7 employer reputation, 77.9 for graduate prospects and £23k average graduate salary
Reply 4
Original post by Amefish

I don't know where u we're looking, but seems according to qs world employer ranking Liverpool was 2 places above Newcastle
Reply 5
Original post by Yazan10
I don't know where u we're looking, but seems according to qatar world employer ranking Liverpool was 2 places above Newcastle

I linked the sources I used
Reply 6
Original post by Amefish
I linked the sources I used

Thanks, so do you think it will matter where I go queen Mary, Newcastle or Liverpool or are the differences negligible for mechanical engineering because for mechanical engineering Newcastle is ranked the lowest according to qs world uni ranking at 300+ whereas Liverpool and queen Mary in the 100s
Reply 7
Original post by Yazan10
Thanks, so do you think it will matter where I go queen Mary, Newcastle or Liverpool or are the differences negligible for mechanical engineering because for mechanical engineering Newcastle is ranked the lowest according to qs world uni ranking at 300+ whereas Liverpool and queen Mary in the 100s

I can't really say for sure, I would say just go to whichever uni you like the best. Go visit them all and get a feel for the place and the lecturers :smile: I don't think it will really impact your career prospects if you go to Newcastle compared to Liverpool or QM
I'd say you should definitely go visit them. However, when you look up about a uni, look at the course and not the uni as a whole. I have a sister currently at Liverpool and another one joining this September. My sister loves it and it is a brilliant city!
Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by a_stressed_mess
I'd say you should definitely go visit them. However, when you look up about a uni, look at the course and not the uni as a whole. I have a sister currently at Liverpool and another one joining this September. My sister loves it and it is a brilliant city!
Good luck!

The thing is, I am an international student so it's pretty hard to visit as I need to apply for a visa. True, I definitely agree with u however, it seems that Liverpool is better than Newcastle in international rankings but with the national rankings Newcastle is much higher so I don't know which to choose. Like I wanna go to the most prestigious uni I could go to and I have unconditional offers from queen Mary, Newcastle and Liverpool so pretty hard decisions right there course content wise pretty similar and I don't care about it that much compared to the whole prestige of the uni. Liverpool is always known as the worst uni in russel group and that's really making me confused whether I would be disadvantaged in going there because of that
Original post by Yazan10
The thing is, I am an international student so it's pretty hard to visit as I need to apply for a visa. True, I definitely agree with u however, it seems that Liverpool is better than Newcastle in international rankings but with the national rankings Newcastle is much higher so I don't know which to choose. Like I wanna go to the most prestigious uni I could go to and I have unconditional offers from queen Mary, Newcastle and Liverpool so pretty hard decisions right there course content wise pretty similar and I don't care about it that much compared to the whole prestige of the uni. Liverpool is always known as the worst uni in russel group and that's really making me confused whether I would be disadvantaged in going there because of that

Well done for getting those offers! Of course my response is going to be biased because I know how brilliant Liverpool is and honestly don't understand some of the bad rep it gets. It is a very supportive university in a very kind and supportive city. (Cough cough also Liverpool has had 9 Nobel Prizes, the same amount as Newcastle (2) and Queen Mary (7) put together cough).
I hope you choose the one right for you!
Im in my third year at Newcastle an absolutely love the place! Its a really good university and I would argue the best university city in the country. Ironically it wasn't my first choice, but I think its amazing now.

If you have any questions about the place feel free to PM me!

I dont think the differences between any of the Unis makes much difference at undergraduate level, as long as you get decent grades.

Regarding the cities I'd personally hate to go to London for my undergraduate degree, but that's just me. Its far to expensive. Liverpool is pretty good, but its nowhere near as good a city for students as Newcastle.

I'd say you need to go through the modules and see which course you like the most. I didn't do that at all, but its actually really important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending