The Student Room Group

International Baccalaureate Results Day 5th July 2017 Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KraitBait
Hi I have a quick question!If my IB final grades are like 1-2 points away from what was predicted, should I phone the university and do I convince them then and there? I'm an international student, so I'm hoping that the university won't be as strict.

You can call them (in fact you probably should call them) but take your time to think about what to say before calling the university- so a day or two or an hour or two. Hopefully it doesn't come to that! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by wolfmoon88
You can call them (in fact you probably should call them) but take your time to think about what to say before calling the university- so a day or two or an hour or two. Hopefully it doesn't come to that! Best of luck :smile:

I will organize my thoughts and such so I will be prepared for any question! If Track says I'm rejected, does that mean I can no longer ring them and try to convince them? In other words, is Track the final decision they made? Also, have you heard of various cases in which the university accepted students despite missing IB points by 1 or 2? Thank you!
I will organize my thoughts and such so I will be prepared for any question! If Track says I'm rejected, does that mean I can no longer ring them and try to convince them? In other words, is Track the final decision they made? Also, have you heard of various cases in which the university accepted students despite missing IB points by 1 or 2? Thank you!

:sorry:, what track says is finall in the vast majority of cases

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by tchaikovskyed
Omg how did you do? I think you should ask your coordinator about re-marks ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

+ 7 points from the score which I applied with in January
but I was 1 mark away from 6 in Bio and 2 marks away from 6 in Math
3 marks away from 7 in Japanese
but i didnt get the score i needed

so im asking for remarks
Original post by Reizzy

so im asking for remarks

question.
if you ask for a remark, is the remark score your final score even if the original score was higher? like would the lower remark score replace the original score?
Reply 65
Original post by kqsruno
question.
if you ask for a remark, is the remark score your final score even if the original score was higher? like would the lower remark score replace the original score?

the grade is only changed with consent :smile:
Original post by Reizzy
the grade is only changed with consent :smile:

Bless. Thanks buddy. Hope your remarks go well and uni works out for you. :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by kqsruno
Bless. Thanks buddy. Hope your remarks go well and uni works out for you. :smile:

thanks mate : )
Hi I have a quick question!If my IB final grades are like 1-2 points away from what was predicted, should I phone the university and do I convince them then and there? I'm an international student, so I'm hoping that the university won't be as strict.

Get your results.

Make sure your university has your results.

Then follow the flowchart

results day flowchart

Original post by Reizzy

so im asking for remarks

Oh, so they give you the marks and how much you missed it by... How are you asking for remarks, where do you "sign up"? It requires payment right? And they don't change the grade without your permission right?
Original post by kqsruno

I simply had to intervene - @Reizzy is simply wrong.

When you remark, the grade change (if any) will be reflected in your final grade. That is to say if it goes up, it will stay up. And if it goes down, it will stay down. There is no discretion given to the student. The remark will completely replace the original grades, regardless of whether you want it to or not.

Following the remark, any change in grade will immediately be applied on IBIS and you can view it there too.

All the best for your results!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by lasjmcbr

When you remark, the grade change (if any) will be reflected in your final grade. That is to say if it goes up, it will stay up. And if it goes down, it will stay down. There is no discretion given to the student. The remark will completely replace the original grades, regardless of whether you want it to or not.

Following the remark, any change in grade will immediately be applied on IBIS and you can view it there too.

I actually asked my coordinator. She said the original grade can be reinstated if the remark is lower than the original.
Reply 72
Oh, so they give you the marks and how much you missed it by... How are you asking for remarks, where do you "sign up"? It requires payment right? And they don't change the grade without your permission right?

ya it shows how much marks you missed

Remarks has to be requested through coordinator. So if your coordinator is unreachable during the summer break, you might be screwed...

Remarks cost 69 pounds/paper. if the grade changes then you dont have to pay.
but remarks of IAs are much more expensive, about 300 USD.
Original post by lasjmcbr

awe man.. well guess not everything in the world can be rainbows and butterflies. Thanks for the info tho. :smile:
Original post by Reizzy
I actually asked my coordinator. She said the original grade can be reinstated if the remark is lower than the original.

I think your coordinator must be mistaken (or she misinterpreted the document).

This is taken from the IB Handbook for M17 exams:

"A candidate’s grade may be lowered or raised as a consequence of a category 1 re-mark. Consequently, coordinators must obtain the written consent of a candidate or the candidate’s legal guardian(s) before requesting this service. If a school neglects to obtain this consent and a grade is lowered, the original grade will not be reinstated."

The consent your coordinator talks about is not regarding the grade change, but a remark. Schools will almost always make students sign a form before proceeding with a remark.

While I can agree the wording leaves it slightly ambiguous, I do not believe that because a student consented to the remark, original grades can be reinstated. The wording in the rules obviously state the need for a candidate's consent because of the risk of the grade being lowered. So in short: if the grades are lowered, tough luck, even if you didn't know the school sent it for remarking.
Hey so if I got this right UCAS will probably not update today? If nothing happens on UCAS that could mean anything, either positive or negative?
Original post by timb1999
Hey so if I got this right UCAS will probably not update today? If nothing happens on UCAS that could mean anything, either positive or negative?

Yep, probably not. So don't look too much into that or expect too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by timb1999

yeah most likely no updates yet because uni admissions offices closed for the day already, so the admissions tutors havent gotten a chance to see scores yet. so no decisions updates tonight for most people.
(edited 6 years ago)
Does anyone know what time they are released at on July 6th? Im asking from the US Pacific Coast.
Original post by Camy Rosen
Does anyone know what time they are released at on July 6th? Im asking from the US Pacific Coast.

12 pm GMT so 5 am PST

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending