The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Advice for applying for internships for second year ?

I'm doing a maths degree and I got 51% in my first year which clearly isn't great. I am really interested in doing some form of internship of work experience next summer in something like finance related like I'm not entirely sure but I just want to get my foot in the door somewhere but it seems everywhere is gonna be demanding I am predicted a 2:1 and I don't think my poor mark in first year is gonna convince them I'm capable of a 2:1...

is there even any point applying for internships.

the only work experience I have is working in catering and a supermarket.
Original post by fefssdf
I'm doing a maths degree and I got 51% in my first year which clearly isn't great. I am really interested in doing some form of internship of work experience next summer in something like finance related like I'm not entirely sure but I just want to get my foot in the door somewhere but it seems everywhere is gonna be demanding I am predicted a 2:1 and I don't think my poor mark in first year is gonna convince them I'm capable of a 2:1...

is there even any point applying for internships.

the only work experience I have is working in catering and a supermarket.

You'll be able to get an internship at an accountants no problem! I work at an accountants currently, and we have some uni students in on internships that didn't attain 2:1s.

My advice would be to apply to smaller accountants, rather than bigger ones as the smaller accountants are a lot more accommodating.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by riz.layton
You'll be able to get an internship at an accountants no problem! I work at an accountants currently, and we have some uni students in on internships that didn't attain 2:1s.

My advice would be to apply to smaller accountants, rather than bigger ones as the smaller accountants are a lot more accommodating.

thanks for the advice ; do you know of names of any accountancy firms cause I'm utterly clueless
Original post by fefssdf
thanks for the advice ; do you know of names of any accountancy firms cause I'm utterly clueless

I can't help with that in afraid- I suppose it depends on the area you're hoping to do an internship in?
Reply 4
Original post by riz.layton
I can't help with that in afraid- I suppose it depends on the area you're hoping to do an internship in?

londonn
Original post by fefssdf
londonn

Try the Big 4? Deloitte and EY have set 2.2s as their minimum requirements for some service lines.
Reply 6
Original post by Skill Twix
Try the Big 4? Deloitte and EY have set 2.2s as their minimum requirements for some service lines.

Ok thanks ; I didn't realise that. Also when would you reccomend applying and also what sort of thing do you put on your CV cause all my work experience is just like customer service stuff so not actually relevant to finance
Original post by fefssdf
Ok thanks ; I didn't realise that. Also when would you reccomend applying and also what sort of thing do you put on your CV cause all my work experience is just like customer service stuff so not actually relevant to finance

Apply as early as possible. I don't know when most places open though. In the meantime, why not practice some numerical and verbal reasoning tests?

I would say put something on your CV that shows your interest in finance. Try joining the finance society at your uni. Be an active member of the finance society. Do some volunteering too.

@Princepieman can recommend you on how to improve your CV.

That's actually good. Shows that you have decent communication skills as it is a customer facing role.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending