The Student Room Group

What can you become with BTEC Diploma in Applied Science

I am predicted to acheive DDD.But I have no idea what course I can study at university.

Can I do phamarcy or Dentistry or optometery?

manchester uni ucas say's i can get in to optomtery but im not so sure

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You become someone with a BTEC.
Reply 2
Well the University of Manchester (as an example) states that to study their MPharm Pharmacy (4 years) course, and your using a BTEC qualification to apply, you'll need:

University of Manchester
Successful completion of a BTEC National Diploma (18 units) at grades DDD in a science-based subject. Must be presented with A-level Chemistry at grade B or above.

Alternatively, successful completion of a BTEC National Certificate (12 units) at grades DDD in a science-based subject. Must be presented with A-level Chemistry at grade B or above and either Biology or Mathematics at grade B or above.

Hope that gives you some idea.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by chrislpp
You become someone that's unemployed with a BTEC.

Wtf is the matter with you?
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
Wtf is the matter with you?

He just trolling - Im going to Uni with PPP on the same course. God I hated that stupid course, I had a ****ty 50% attendence for the second year.

People in my class who actually are going into science for their degree's are doing all sorts! I think some are going into med, some into chemistry, biology, zoology etc

There's lots of oppotunities especially with DDD :biggrin:
Reply 5
I've got an offer to do Marine Biology with an MMM in Applied Science. Other people got offers for stuff such as biochemistry, pharmacology, etc.

I think Liverpool accepts DDD for some courses, so you're not limited to 'non-prestigious' unis.

I don't think you could get into popular courses such as dentistry, medicine, etc though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
You could become a lab technician. As far as I know, the BTEC is the technical certificate for the apprenticeship framework.

So, you could work in a research lab. If you want a degree you could do a degree with the OU alongside. That way you would earn while you study, pay lower tuition fees (or none if your employer sponsors you) and come out with a degree, no debt and three years work experience at the end. = win win win win.
Reply 7
Original post by No Man
I've got an offer to do Marine Biology with an MMM in Applied Science. Other people got offers for stuff such as biochemistry, pharmacology, etc.

I think Liverpool accepts DDD for some courses, so you're not limited to 'non-prestigious' unis.

I don't think you could get into popular courses such as dentistry, medicine, etc though.

Can i do pharmacology with btec science?
Original post by Sayfi
Can i do pharmacology with btec science?

Thread is 4 years old...

ucas course search is your friend here...

e.g. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2015/pharmacology/bsc-pharmacology/

BTEC DDD in Science including Distinction in science units, plus A-level Chemistry at grade B
Can I do hygenist after btec?
Reply 10
Can I go into space sciences/astronomy with a Btec applied science diploma?
Reply 11
Original post by Alicya
Can I go into space sciences/astronomy with a Btec applied science diploma?

Kent do on a case by case basis, might be worth emailing them

https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/67/astronomy-space-science-and-astrophysics-bsc#entry
Reply 12
hi, i am going to start college in september and i was wondering will choosing btec applied science get me into fields such as astronomy/space sciences? do certain universities take this? this is will be considered as 3 a levels and i heard it takes you into fields such as pharmacy and dentistry but im really into the world of space haha so would it be worth taking?
Original post by devon x
hi, i am going to start college in september and i was wondering will choosing btec applied science get me into fields such as astronomy/space sciences? do certain universities take this? this is will be considered as 3 a levels and i heard it takes you into fields such as pharmacy and dentistry but im really into the world of space haha so would it be worth taking?

You can get to do space stuff you are going to be limited to the "worse" universitys. I think Portsmouth ane Nottingham on tent do space kinda courses. That's our of memory I could be wrong though as I was thinking of doing space stuff for a bit.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi I'm starting college in September and I'm doing double science and h&sc what degrees could I take? Please reply ASAP
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi I'm starting college in September and I'm doing double science and h&sc what degrees could I take? Please reply ASAP
Reply 16
Original post by Maria538

Psychology
Nursing
Midwifery
Biomedical Science
Forensic Science

and loads more..
That’s made me feel so good how did they get into med what uni aswell x
Hey that’s mase me feel so good and for me I wanted to do A levels but I’m not very confident with exams right now so I decided to do BTEC applied science and knowing some of your friends got into med and which is my plan to do somehow in some route so will you be able to tell me what he did or if e took any routes or did a degree before that to get into it xx
Reply 19
Original post by Xxlolarockstar
Hey that’s mase me feel so good and for me I wanted to do A levels but I’m not very confident with exams right now so I decided to do BTEC applied science and knowing some of your friends got into med and which is my plan to do somehow in some route so will you be able to tell me what he did or if e took any routes or did a degree before that to get into it xx

You can do medicine with btec applied science at Leicester medical school but that includes a foundation year which is a 6 year course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending