The Student Room Group

Picking 4 A Levels

Hello,

I was wandering how many free periods people who have chosen 4 A Levels typically have in a day/week since I will be choosing to study 4.

Also, how many lessons of each subject you have in one week.

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Do a BTEC and work 3 days a week. Less stress, more free time and you can easily get maximum ucas points with no luck required unlike a levels. But to answer your question I didn't get that many probably about 3-4 a week.
Original post by Lisa.Williams
Hello,

I was wandering how many free periods people who have chosen 4 A Levels typically have in a day/week since I will be choosing to study 4.

Thank you!

Usually its 4 lessons of each subject a week. Assuming you have the typical 5 periods a day, you'll have 9 free periods, but chances are you'll be required to stay in school for about 3 of them so assume you get 6.
Original post by John10101
Do a BTEC and work 3 days a week. Less stress, more free time and you can easily get maximum ucas points with no luck required unlike a levels. But to answer your question I didn't get that many probably about 3-4 a week.

Do top ranking universities accept BTECs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mightlobster

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on what course you are doing i suppose. I can guarantee they wouldnt accept a BTEC for things like medicine or dentistry. But for other courses they probably would do.
I think some do though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excluding Oxbridge and subjects like medicine then yes pretty much all of them, I got into Cardiff Uni doing Compsci with a BTEC but bare in mind they required the maximum grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Often where courses require a specific A-level to be taken as a prerequisite, they require the applicant to take that A-level in addition to the BTEC (most commonly Maths for Engineering BTEC students).
Wow! That's a lot more than I thought (which is a good thing). Thanks! :smile:
Original post by The_JoKeR
Usually its 4 lessons of each subject a week. Assuming you have the typical 5 periods a day, you'll have 9 free periods, but chances are you'll be required to stay in school for about 3 of them so assume you get 6.
Hello,

Thank you!

Maybe ask your school. It depends on how they do it how the hell should we know?
At my school I get 18 free periods a fortnight but at another school I know it's about 5.
Yeah, the timetable had around 5 slots per day. I wasn't really expecting anybody to know for definite, just an idea based on other people's timetables.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Maybe ask your school. It depends on how they do it how the hell should we know?
At my school I get 18 free periods a fortnight but at another school I know it's about 5.
Yeah, the timetable had around 5 slots per day. I wasn't really expecting anybody to know for definite, just an idea based on other people's timetables.

Okay well my school is 8 hours a fortnight for each subject and we also have 5 lessons per day. Hope that helps.
i do IB haha and get 1 free a week, hearing about a level student's frees makes me so jealous lol
Reply 12
Original post by John10101
Excluding Oxbridge and subjects like medicine then yes pretty much all of them, I got into Cardiff Uni doing Compsci with a BTEC but bare in mind they required the maximum grade

Entirely depends on the course. For example Cambridge does accept a BTEC plus A-level Maths for engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Okay well my school is 8 hours a fortnight for each subject and we also have 5 lessons per day. Hope that helps.
Original post by Doonesbury
Entirely depends on the course. For example Cambridge does accept a BTEC plus A-level Maths for engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant pure BTEC no alevels needed
I do four and get 5 free periods per week (next year it might only be 4 but we would start and end school later and earlier respectively). I cope with the work fine
i did 5 last year (AS) and three this year.
i had soo many free periods that coping with 4 a levels wouldn't have been so bad since I would have only lost 4 free periods out of a possible 10
you'll be fine OP dw
Oh right. Well, it's really reassuring to hear somebody say that the workload isn't unbearably overwhelming! Thank you for this information - I really appreciate it!
Original post by zeldor711
I do four and get 5 free periods per week (next year it might only be 4 but we would start and end school later and earlier respectively). I cope with the work fine
Wow! Five is a lot of A Levels. Do you mind me asking which A Levels you did? And thank you for your support!
Original post by hamzakalinle
i did 5 last year (AS) and three this year.
i had soo many free periods that coping with 4 a levels wouldn't have been so bad since I would have only lost 4 free periods out of a possible 10
you'll be fine OP dw
Wow! Five is a lot of A Levels. Do you mind me asking which A Levels you did? And thank you for your support!

Bio,Chem,Spanish,History and General studies.
GS is an actual A Level but I should have probably said 4 + general studies regardless lol.
and don't worry you're welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest