The Student Room Group

Should Adolf Hitler have been allowed free speech?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMR2017
However at the expense of 11 million innocent lives?

You're saying this with the benefit of hindsight. Essentially your argument is that people shouldn't be able to say anything because it could potentially cause casualties in the future. You think Hitler could not have carried out murderous actions without publicly spewing hatred? Of course he could, but at least by being such a public figure, enemies could work out what they were dealing with. Furthermore, his very public, hateful image has made it extremely likely that humanity, in the West at least, will never let anyone get to those odious heights again.
Original post by JordLndr
Wtf?

You said teachers are left wing and brainwash children into being against Nazis.
Original post by JMR2017
You said teachers are left wing and brainwash children into being against Nazis.

When did I say that? Ahaha
When did I say that? Ahaha

"I think the fact that every teacher is left wing doesn't help. They always add little comments which encourage children to follow these types of politics." - JordLndr
Original post by JMR2017
"I think the fact that every teacher is left wing doesn't help. They always add little comments which encourage children to follow these types of politics." - JordLndr

That's not talking about hitler lmfaoooo
That's not talking about hitler lmfaoooo

Yeah, JMR I was talking about something completely different lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Yeah, JMR I was talking about something completely different lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

@JMR2017 Hello darkness my old friend..
Original post by kydzoster
Brainwashed into his ways of life? Jeez, you serious? Millions of working class people thought the same way as Hitler did, they were oppressed, unemployed etc. Hitler said what many was thinking and felt.

Actually, relatively little Nazi electoral support came from the working class, and even less from the unemployed. The working class support the Nazis did get tended to be much more small-town and village than the more classical urban workers. They mostly voted for the Communists or the Social Democrats, especially the unemployed.

What's that supposed to mean?

😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hitler destroyed free speech in Germany. Anyone who denounced him was arrested. No-one would dare speak out in case their neighbours reported them. Which is why he could do whatever he wanted.

Banning free speech is the problem because it gives the powerful even more power over you. Those with power will always exploit it.
Original post by zayn008
They’re simplying exercising their right to free speech as well

I don't think starting a riot in Berkeley because you think Milo Yiannopoulos is a facist is considered 'free speech'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hate speech should not be allowed, definitely not by politicians. When a politician comes on a stage and incites hatred towards a whole group of people based on lies and blame-throwing, how should a moral society allow that to happen? At the very least, we should have a disclaimer every time he spoke 'This man has spoken lies.' Hell even cigarettes come with a disclaimer nowadays.
Reply 53
Original post by Underscore__
I don't think starting a riot in Berkeley because you think Milo Yiannopoulos is a facist is considered 'free speech'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Freedom of speech allows people to express their views through things like protests so legally it is… but you’re right, it shouldn’t allow civil disobedience, It should always be peaceful.
The point you're making is in hindsight. It's easy to say, or, as you're doing, heavily imply that he shouldn't have, when we know what we became.

You're also implying that his speech was the only indicator of something bad happening, when that simply wasn't the case...

The Reichstag Fire Decree nullified many civil liberties.
The Reichstag passing the Enabling Act which made Hilter the DICTATOR of Germany.
Germans were told to Boycott Jewish shops and businesses
All non-Nazi parties were banned
Homeless, alcoholics and unemployed were sent to concentration camps.

And all that is just from 1933, 6 years before the war. Never mind the Nuremberg Laws of 1935, the re-militarisation of the Rhineland in 1936, or the massive clusterf*ck of red flag events in 1939 that lead up to the invasion of Poland on September 1st of the same year.

My answer is yes. People can say what they want, it doesn't make it right obviously, but if you don't like what they're saying then free speech allows you to speak up against them, just like critics of the Nazi Party did in 1933 during the Anti-Nazi boycott.

Hitler didn't progress simply because he could say anything he wanted, he progressed because the people who could've stopped him, didn't.
Yes.
I shall remind you that Adolf Hitler was banned from the right to public speeches but this was done after he gained some popularity, and NSDAP used this sentence to advertise his person as "the one who is not allowed to speak".
Original post by zayn008
Freedom of speech allows people to express their views through things like protests so legally it is… but you’re right, it shouldn’t allow civil disobedience, It should always be peaceful.

Protesting is considered free speech but as I said rioting is not free speech, legally or otherwise. The fact is leftist groups frequently use force to prevent right wing talks on university campuses. In some instances yes they are using their own free speech but they're using it to suppress others' right to freely express themselves. In a lot of these instances it seems that they're doing this instead of engaging in debate and labelling everyone who disagrees with them a facist.
Original post by JMR2017
Do you think Hitler should have been allowed to openly spew his hatred against Jews? Do you think he should have caught out and stopped in the early stages of his political career for hate speech, possibly saving close to 11 million innocent lives in the Holocaust?

Discuss.

Yeah, do we think we should have caught him out and stopped his dragging of the world into a war too? Maybe at the time of the re-militarization of Germany but who had the appetite to go invade it to confiscate Hitler's toys? Everyone whose memories of WWI were still fresh had no appetite for it at all, it would be storing trouble for the future and there was little else to do than to pursue the policy of appeasement and hope that Germany had no more desire for it.

It is probably true that a blind-eye up to a point was turned to the persecution of Jews but the estimation of how much more could have been done about it is often wildly exagerated. We even let him take Austria and Czechoslovakia for the sake of trying to prevent another war, one for which we were so ill-prepared anyway. If anything, we should have invested in our military capacity to resist the Nazis.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't be stupid! We already have hate speech laws that are determined by society in the form of its Parliamentary representatives. You and I get to decide what's hateful and what's not, we do that by voting in Parliament and lobbying our Parliamentarians. That's how democracies work! Your argument amounts to nothing more than saying 'What counts as crime and who gets to define crime and then judge whether one person's actions fall into that definition?'.

Just like society defines crime and hires judges and law enforcement to enforce its definitions, we do the same with hate speech. Here, don't know if it's too sophisticated for your reading skills but check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending