The Student Room Group

Decision on a subject choice, need opinions

Should i choose chemistry or biology for A level????
What are you taking with it? What career do you want?
Original post by Pepsi_Max
What are you taking with it? What career do you want?

I'm taking it with English Lang Lit and Dance, but i feel i might be better at chemistry
Original post by Jenny Deeming
I'm taking it with English Lang Lit and Dance, but i feel i might be better at chemistry

Not sure Dance, English and science really goes together tbh. How about English language and lit, Biology AND chemistry, dropping dance? This would open more doors.
Original post by Pepsi_Max
Not sure Dance, English and science really goes together tbh. How about English language and lit, Biology AND chemistry, dropping dance? This would open more doors.

Why would i drop dance?? I would like to take all three together as most of them are facilitating subjects, with an EPQ alongside. I don't think i would want to take biology AND chemistry, as yes i would be good at them but i also want to take subjects i enjoy?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Well people that are good at writing essays usually opt for biology when choosing a science alongside other non science subjects, just because biology contains less maths than chemistry and there is more memorising/writing involved in the biology course rather than the chemistry course :smile:
Reply 6
which do you enjoy more and what are you thinking of doing at uni?
Plenty of advice here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/a-guide-to-choosing-your-sixth-form-subjects

(Tip - work out what you want to do with these A levels first ...)
Choose PHYSICS
Original post by solark
Well people that are good at writing essays usually opt for biology when choosing a science alongside other non science subjects, just because biology contains less maths than chemistry and there is more memorising/writing involved in the biology course rather than the chemistry course :smile:

TBH i quite enjoy maths though, however my parents say that Biology will be more interesting than chemistry, thanks for your feedback:smile:
Original post by Kiimii
which do you enjoy more and what are you thinking of doing at uni?

I'm not sure as i took Biology a year early, i think i enjoyed them both the same however for some reason i think im better at chemistry:s-smilie: and I'm thinking of doing a teaching degree at Uni
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Plenty of advice here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/a-guide-to-choosing-your-sixth-form-subjects

(Tip - work out what you want to do with these A levels first ...)

Thankyou!
Original post by apeshit007
Choose PHYSICS

Meh, I don't like physics:/
Meh, I don't like physics:/

FURTHER MATHS oooh yh
Reply 14
I'm not sure as i took Biology a year early, i think i enjoyed them both the same however for some reason i think im better at chemistry:s-smilie: and I'm thinking of doing a teaching degree at Uni

sorry what do you mean by taking bio a year early?

I'm not sure if this helps but I did both biology and chemistry and found biology a lot easier and more enjoyable even though I did better in GCSE chemistry than biology, i think this is because the jump between gcse to a level is bigger for chemistry. obviously everyone is different but that was just my experience
Original post by Kiimii
sorry what do you mean by taking bio a year early?

I'm not sure if this helps but I did both biology and chemistry and found biology a lot easier and more enjoyable even though I did better in GCSE chemistry than biology, i think this is because the jump between gcse to a level is bigger for chemistry. obviously everyone is different but that was just my experience

I took Biology in Year 10 instead of Year 11 as I took Triple Science as one of my options. So you think that i should take biology?? People do say it will be more enjoyable but you're totally right about the big jump between gcse and a level
Reply 16
I took Biology in Year 10 instead of Year 11 as I took Triple Science as one of my options. So you think that i should take biology?? People do say it will be more enjoyable but you're totally right about the big jump between gcse and a level

oh so have you done a year of not studying biology if you're in year 11 now?
its really up to you! I personally found biology a lot more enjoyable and the number of people who dropped chemistry in year 12 was a lot higher than those who dropped biology, even though more people took biology
Biology is very content heavy, but the info is much more interesting and I found it easier to understanding
The main reason i didn't like chemistry is because I found it difficult and boring and therefore didn't really put the work in
as long as you put the work in, you should be fine with both :smile:
Original post by Kiimii
oh so have you done a year of not studying biology if you're in year 11 now?
its really up to you! I personally found biology a lot more enjoyable and the number of people who dropped chemistry in year 12 was a lot higher than those who dropped biology, even though more people took biology
Biology is very content heavy, but the info is much more interesting and I found it easier to understanding
The main reason i didn't like chemistry is because I found it difficult and boring and therefore didn't really put the work in
as long as you put the work in, you should be fine with both :smile:

Yeah I haven't studied biology for a year. I think if biology is more enjoyable and interesting then I probably should choose it, I just might struggle with remembering things but I am willing to put the work in!! Thankyou for your advice!!
Reply 18
Yeah I haven't studied biology for a year. I think if biology is more enjoyable and interesting then I probably should choose it, I just might struggle with remembering things but I am willing to put the work in!! Thankyou for your advice!!

no problem and good luck with whichever you decide to study :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest