The Student Room Group

I don't think I'm applying for med, should I take a UKCAT/BMAT in case?

I am applying this year for 2018 entry.
I think I'm really leaning towards chemical engineering instead of medicine..

Should I still apply for UKcat/Bmat just incase ?
Reply 1
Original post by tamanna___

If you're not dead-set on medicine, I would say go for chemical engineering and dedicate your time to making sure your application for that is as good as it can be.

If you are really 50/50, then you could take the BMAT or UKCAT (university dependent, which I answered in this thread) but it might detract from preparation time on your personal statement for chemical engineering if thats the path you decide on.

Have you done much work experience in either profession?
Original post by tamanna___

UKCAT and BMAT both require a lot of planning and practice- so you need to make your decision as soon as possible as the deadline for registration is near.

I'd say follow your passion and do what you think is right. It's your choice at the end of the day. Medicine will always be here for you to study, but you'll never get back the time wasted studying a subject you have no passion for.

I hope this helps somehow :smile: Good luck with everything!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Bow Tie
If you're not dead-set on medicine, I would say go for chemical engineering and dedicate your time to making sure your application for that is as good as it can be.

If you are really 50/50, then you could take the BMAT or UKCAT (university dependent, which I answered in this thread) but it might detract from preparation time on your personal statement for chemical engineering if thats the path you decide on.

Have you done much work experience in either profession?

Yes I have work experience in both sectors, (some are booked but need to be completed) in both professions.. A little more in the medical sector/ healthcare though.

I spent the last day talking to chemical engineers, watching videos and reading blog posts and I think I would love studying it in university although it does seem like the course is rock solid but I guess we'll see when I get there hopefully :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by games211
UKCAT and BMAT both require a lot of planning and practice- so you need to make your decision as soon as possible as the deadline for registration is near.

I'd say follow your passion and do what you think is right. It's your choice at the end of the day. Medicine will always be here for you to study, but you'll never get back the time wasted studying a subject you have no passion for.

I hope this helps somehow :smile: Good luck with everything!! :smile:

Thanks! I think your post just helped me to finalise my decision :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending