The Student Room Group

Any Questions about AQA Psychology?

Hi guys, I thought I'd set this up since I've finished my Psychology A Level and I have all this time off before University :h:

I've been thinking people may not know what to expect of the new specification for this subject so I thought I'd try answering any questions you may have about the topics, structure of the questions/exams.. that kind of thing. Though I think I can really only talk about the AQA Psychology A Level.

Oh and if anyone wants an insight into Psychology at degree level I may be able to help at a later date when I begin my course in September.

Edit- Got my A in Psychology this August :bumps: Worked so hard and managed to get the grade I wanted :biggrin:

I'd definitely recommend working at the topics people tend to struggle at like Biopsychology and Research Methods.. but obviously teachers are going to try focusing more on that now they know about the new spec's changes (more like a science).
People this year (according to Tutor2u's website) struggled more on Paper 3 this year due to the heavy amount of essays in it:eek: So definitely make sure to develop your essay skills- ask your teacher to mark any extra ones you do. I also recommend looking at Tutor2u, they provide webinars for topics in each paper and even go through tricky questions. You have to pay for some of the resources.. but there are some videos on Youtube by them that of course are free.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey, I'm starting my AQA Psychology course in September and although we've had a "taster session" on it, it's still very vague to me. We've been told on the topics we'll be doing in each exam etc, but not in much dramatic depth. If you have time, either by replying or sending me a PM, could you describe them (even a little summary of each) and which ones may seem more "challenging" than others? I'm prepared for the science aspects of it all unlike the rest of my class it seems...

How many essays can I expect to be given while completing the course? Are they vital to the course?

Is there anything I can do to prepare for the course in September? We got given a couple sheets to complete as homework but it was identifying each of the different approaches and a tiny summary of some key psychologists. Would you recommend anything else I could do?

That should be it for now, thanks in advance. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to ask you here or send you a PM. :smile:
Original post by devotion
Hey, I'm starting my AQA Psychology course in September and although we've had a "taster session" on it, it's still very vague to me. We've been told on the topics we'll be doing in each exam etc, but not in much dramatic depth. If you have time, either by replying or sending me a PM, could you describe them (even a little summary of each) and which ones may seem more "challenging" than others? I'm prepared for the science aspects of it all unlike the rest of my class it seems...

How many essays can I expect to be given while completing the course? Are they vital to the course?

Is there anything I can do to prepare for the course in September? We got given a couple sheets to complete as homework but it was identifying each of the different approaches and a tiny summary of some key psychologists. Would you recommend anything else I could do?

That should be it for now, thanks in advance. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to ask you here or send you a PM. :smile:

Seems like you've been given more than me :lol: For my taster session it was mostly homework on the ethics of Psychological research.

Well I'll try going through at least the topics you'll do in AS first... I might do this at a later date but I'll find time to write it up. I'll leave it in the thread for other people to read too. I'll try answering those questions first.

Yeah a lot of people in my class struggled on the science aspects.. this may come to haunt them in A2 since there is an entire Section on Bio-psychology.. a lot of people trip up here so I recommend getting everything learned in that section and Research Methods.. pick up the marks some students won't :smile:

I'm not sure about how many essays.. cause that might depend on your school.. since my sixth form loved to give me homework (I got the most in Psychology). I'd say they will make sure to give you some to develop your essay writing skills.. since exams will usually have about 2 essays.. so I'd say to try at the essays.

In AS essays are worth 12 marks, 6 for Knowledge and 6 for Evaluation.

Hmm things you could do.. I guess it wouldn't hurt to look up those key psychologists.. not sure if you have them all: Asch, Milgram, Zimbardo, Adorno, Moscovici, Baddley, Ainsworth, Bowlby, Schaffer..
Hi, I'm going into year 11 but when I go to sixth form I'm considering psychology to go with biology and maths. How is it as an a level? What's the workload like? How 'easy' is it to get an A? What other A levels did you do?
Original post by Pepsi_Max
Hi, I'm going into year 11 but when I go to sixth form I'm considering psychology to go with biology and maths. How is it as an a level? What's the workload like? How 'easy' is it to get an A? What other A levels did you do?

Well it's a subject with maths and English so I'd say you need to be prepared for that.. some people go in not expecting scientific principles so tend to not enjoy it/struggle.
I wouldn't say it's the hardest A Level but it's certainly a lot to remember.. and answers must be developed and applied so an A of course is achievable. But with all A Level subjects your knowledge is applied- it's less about regurgitation. Psychology is just a pain to write all your knowledge down in.. if you're a fast writer it helps but the way they mark answers now means it must be developed well.

I'd say it's a heavy work load.. I had the most from Psychology but it could just be down to my teachers. Regardless of that, try doing some of your work early as you can.. in case you get more work added on top. Just makes you feel a lot calmer (I stuck to this during A2 whenever I could.. try doing it in AS).

My other A Levels were Chem, Biology, English Lit (dropped chemistry in first year) :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Bumpppppp... :wink:
Original post by CuriousShinigami
Hi guys, I thought I'd set this up since I've finished my Psychology A Level and I have all this time off before University :h:

I've been thinking people may not know what to expect of the new specification for this subject so I thought I'd try answering any questions you may have about the topics, structure of the questions/exams.. that kind of thing. Though I think I can really only talk about the AQA Psychology A Level.

Oh and if anyone wants an insight into Psychology at degree level I may be able to help at a later date when I begin my course in September.

Edit- Got my A in Psychology this August :bumps: Worked so hard and managed to get the grade I wanted :biggrin:

I'd definitely recommend working at the topics people tend to struggle at like Biopsychology and Research Methods.. but obviously teachers are going to try focusing more on that now they know about the new spec's changes (more like a science).
People this year (according to Tutor2u's website) struggled more on Paper 3 this year due to the heavy amount of essays in it:eek: So definitely make sure to develop your essay skills- ask your teacher to mark any extra ones you do. I also recommend looking at Tutor2u, they provide webinars for topics in each paper and even go through tricky questions. You have to pay for some of the resources.. but there are some videos on Youtube by them that of course are free.

Hello,

Can you suggest good revision resources for A Level AQA Psychology?
Any revision websites, books or courses?
Original post by tessa w
Hello,

Can you suggest good revision resources for A Level AQA Psychology?
Any revision websites, books or courses?

I used Tutor2u's videos and webinars! Oh and even their example essays :biggrin: I had Biopsych ones just to help me structure my answers.
I never actually bought an AQA psychology revision guide as the textbook for the new spec (the one with the woman with colourful hair on the cover) was good enough for me but you might want to buy the CGP book as it always summaries things well and gives you practice questions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CuriousShinigami
I used Tutor2u's videos and webinars! Oh and even their essay plans :biggrin:
I never actually bought an AQA psychology revision guide as the textbook for the new spec (the one with this girl colourful hair) was good enough for me but you might want to buy the CGP book as it always summaries things well and gives you practice questions.

Thankyou
Original post by tessa w
Thankyou

No problem :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending