The Student Room Group

Ask an Admissions Tutor applying age 21+

Hi everyone, I'm the new Admissions Tutor at St Edmund's College. St Edmund's focuses on the education of students aged 21 and over.

I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applying to Cambridge as a mature student, affiliate, postgraduate, or simply a little bit later than the norm. If you are going to be 21 or over at the time you start University, you might want to bear in mind that applications to Cambridge stay open beyond October 15, in many subjects.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm hoping to apply as an affiliate within the law faculty for 2018. I was wondering what the ratio is at Lucy Cavendish regarding the number of affiliate law applications compared to places offered?
Original post by lllefty
Hi, I'm hoping to apply as an affiliate within the law faculty for 2018. I was wondering what the ratio is at Lucy Cavendish regarding the number of affiliate law applications compared to places offered?

Hi Illefty
Numbers vary considerably year on year for affiliate Law entry. We look at applications holistically and admit on academic ability rather than to fill a certain number of places. Those who receive offers for affiliate places normally have an excellent academic record with a first class degree from a good University.
Thanks for the question
Reply 3
Hi I'm 19 so I can only apply for deferred entry to a mature college. Would you say that it is harder to gain admission applying for deferred entry?
Original post by edzay
Hi I'm 19 so I can only apply for deferred entry to a mature college. Would you say that it is harder to gain admission applying for deferred entry?

Hi there

You won't be disadvantaged applying for deferred entry but it is worth discussing your plans with the admissions department of your College of choice as early as possible so we can help you through the process. In some subjects it is important to keep your skills up to date.
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
snip

Nice to see this thread back!

What level of OU language modules would you consider to be equivalent to A level, and could one use OU language modules to apply for MML/ASNaC/History and Modern Languages?
Hi there, thanks for the question.

Open University modules at level 2 or above and which are worth 60 credits would be a suitable level; however, it very much depends on the applicant's academic profile as to whether the modules would be enough to satisfy the entry requirements.

Feel free to contact the Admissions Office if you would like to discuss a specific application. It is never too early in the process to contact us.

Original post by Snufkin
Nice to see this thread back!

What level of OU language modules would you consider to be equivalent to A level, and could one use OU language modules to apply for MML/ASNaC/History and Modern Languages?
Hi there, thanks for the question.

Open University modules at level 2 or above and which are worth 60 credits would be a suitable level; however, it very much depends on the applicant's academic profile as to whether the modules would be enough to satisfy the entry requirements.

Feel free to contact the Admissions Office if you would like to discuss a specific application. It is never too early in the process to contact us.

Thanks, I'm not asking about a specific application per se, I just wondered what level of OU module would be considered on par with an A level-standard knowledge of a language.

The OU says that after completing level 2 language modules, a student should have the proficiency equivalent to level B2 of the Council of Europe Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, is B2 good enough for MML?
Reply 8
Hello! I am a deferred offer holder from abroad. I would be curious what would be different in a mature college, compared to a standard age college. Does the age difference make visible changes in the community? Also, do 21 year olds get along with with older students, as 18-19s would with each other in a standard age college? I've seen that mature colleges have a lower undergrad intake, so this means more older students (MPhil and PhDs).
Thank you!
B2 gives an upper intermediate level of language competency. The OU modules look like they are language only which means the candidate would not be developing the critical and analytical skills that are also assessed in the application process. So, if a candidate already has a robust academic profile and is looking to develop their language skills, this would be useful preparation for the course. The modules do not look like they cover the full range of the A Level syllabus so I doubt they would offer a like for like equivalent.

Original post by Snufkin
Thanks, I'm not asking about a specific application per se, I just wondered what level of OU module would be considered on par with an A level-standard knowledge of a language.

The OU says that after completing level 2 language modules, a student should have the proficiency equivalent to level B2 of the Council of Europe Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, is B2 good enough for MML?
Hello, thanks for the question.

The average age at Lucy Cavendish is currently 22. Although you live in College, lectures and sometimes supervisions bring together students from all the Colleges so you develop communities with students from all age ranges.

Many students in the mature Colleges appreciate the fact that everyone they live with has had some time between secondary education and University. This may be due to having a career, military service, travelling or something entirely different. The common denominator is that the vast majority have lived away from home before.

All the usual societies and sports are available at the mature colleges. Often students collaborate with other Colleges to make sure there are a good number of people for sports teams and social events. There are all the usual swaps (dinners at other Colleges) and the mature Colleges enter all the inter-Collegiate events in the same way as standard age Colleges.

I hope this helps. Please also ask questions to the current students on the offer holders facebook page. We look forward to seeing you in October!

Original post by zpx
Hello! I am a deferred offer holder from abroad. I would be curious what would be different in a mature college, compared to a standard age college. Does the age difference make visible changes in the community? Also, do 21 year olds get along with with older students, as 18-19s would with each other in a standard age college? I've seen that mature colleges have a lower undergrad intake, so this means more older students (MPhil and PhDs).
Thank you!
B2 gives an upper intermediate level of language competency. The OU modules look like they are language only which means the candidate would not be developing the critical and analytical skills that are also assessed in the application process. So, if a candidate already has a robust academic profile and is looking to develop their language skills, this would be useful preparation for the course. The modules do not look like they cover the full range of the A Level syllabus so I doubt they would offer a like for like equivalent.

Yes, let's assume that the applicant does have a robust academic profile, I'm just interested to know if a level 2 OU language module can be used to satisfy the language proficiency part of the entry requirements for MML, you seem to be saying it would... I think?
Yes, B2 is the approximate equivalent of the language element of the A Level*. I would recommend the full A level to anyone considering a degree in MML or AMES as many of the papers focus on literature - perhaps more than students expect - and the A Level gives more of a taste of this element of the degree. Essay writing (in English and in the foreign language) is also a fundamental skill for both degrees.

*see here for more equivalences: http://gostudylink.net/en/support/levels

Original post by Snufkin
Yes, let's assume that the applicant does have a robust academic profile, I'm just interested to know if a level 2 OU language module can be used to satisfy the language proficiency part of the entry requirements for MML, you seem to be saying it would... I think?
Are the compulsory pool requirements for post-qualification candidates still A*,A*,A* or better at A Level?

And do these grades guarantee an interview at another college or just a place in the pool and a chance of being fished?

Thanks for running this!
Hi everyone, I'm the new Admissions Tutor at Lucy Cavendish. Lucy Cavendish focuses on the education of students aged 21 and over.

I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applying to Cambridge as a mature student, affiliate, postgraduate, or simply a little bit later than the norm. If you are going to be 21 or over at the time you start University, you might want to bear in mind that applications to Cambridge stay open beyond October 15, in many subjects.

Hi, may I know what is the difference in taking the interviews in Cambridge compared to taking the interviews in Singapore? (I intend to apply for my interviews to take place in Singapore). Will be applying for Land Economy!
Hi there,

For more information on interviewing abroad, see these pages:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/overseas-interviews

Was there anything specific you were trying to compare?

Original post by jonathan98
Hi, may I know what is the difference in taking the interviews in Cambridge compared to taking the interviews in Singapore? (I intend to apply for my interviews to take place in Singapore). Will be applying for Land Economy!
Hi there,

If a candidate's file is placed in the pool, Admissions Tutors and Directors of Studies from other Colleges have the opportunity to review the file. If they have places available in their College, they can choose either to re-interview the candidate or to make a direct offer based on the notes of the first College's interviews. It may be that more than one College would like to re-interview a candidate, in which case they will try to coordinate these interviews as far as possible. So there are no guaranteed interviews at a second College and you may receive an offer without the need for a further interview.

Thanks for the question

Original post by patrickwahins
Are the compulsory pool requirements for post-qualification candidates still A*,A*,A* or better at A Level?

And do these grades guarantee an interview at another college or just a place in the pool and a chance of being fished?

Thanks for running this!
Hi there,

If a candidate's file is placed in the pool, Admissions Tutors and Directors of Studies from other Colleges have the opportunity to review the file. If they have places available in their College, they can choose either to re-interview the candidate or to make a direct offer based on the notes of the first College's interviews. It may be that more than one College would like to re-interview a candidate, in which case they will try to coordinate these interviews as far as possible. So there are no guaranteed interviews at a second College and you may receive an offer without the need for a further interview.

Thanks for the question

Thank-you!
Hi there,

For more information on interviewing abroad, see these pages:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/overseas-interviews

Was there anything specific you were trying to compare?

Yep, so if I wish to take my interviews and tests in Singapore for Land Economy this year, would the submission of written work (one or two college essays) prior to the interview to the colleges Fitzwilliam, Homerton, Lucy Cavendish, Murray Edwards, Pembroke, St Edmund's, Trinity Hall, Wolfson apply to me as well? If so, how do I submit the written work, and when is the deadline for submission? (I'm asking because my seniors applied to the aforementioned colleges in 2013 and 2014 while taking their interviews/tests in Singapore and they did not have to submit any written work).
Hello,

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I am interested in applying to Cambridge's undergraduate law program. I am Canadian, 22 and hold an undergraduate degree from a well-regarded American university. I attended high school in British Columbia and I see that the entry requirements for the undergraduate law program state that one must have 5 AP level courses or 3 IB courses in high school. I do not meet this requirement. If I apply to the affiliate student program, which would allow me to complete the degree in 2 years, will this requirement be waived, as I already hold an undergraduate degree? If I apply as a mature student to the 3 year program, will this requirement be waived? If it is waived, will I be at a disadvantage when being considered for admission?

Thank you for your time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending