The Student Room Group

Year 10 work

deketed
(edited 3 years ago)
Just relax. Worry about your GCSEs when you go back to school.
If you really wanted to do work, you could check out the specifications of the subjects you're studying and make notes. Don't go overboard, it'll make your lessons this year stupendously dull - as I discovered when I learnt the physics spec off by heart by the third or fourth lesson in, in September...I ended up doodling all year. Don't count on knowing it right from the off either, you need to review your work continuously. Good luck with year ten!
Reply 3
Don't start studying anything yet, because you'll just end up forgetting it. I would recommend having a brief look at the courses you'll be taking using the exam board websites and the specifications they give, and perhaps start to think about how you're going to study it - e.g. making flashcards, making mind maps etc, depending on the subject of course. If you are aiming for top grades, I would recommend going home after school everyday and making your notes/flashcards for the lessons you've had that day so when it comes to revision it'll be a piece of cake. What subjects are you taking?
Original post by izzyrose23
I'm currently in year 9, going into year 10. I haven't been set any summer homework from my school (which is unusual, as they typically do) and I feel like there's things I need to be doing in preparation for gcses next year 😂Is there anything anyone would recommend doing or should I just relax?

Don't burn yourself out - take your time with whatever you choose to do.
Original post by Zereux
Don't start studying anything yet, because you'll just end up forgetting it. I would recommend having a brief look at the courses you'll be taking using the exam board websites and the specifications they give, and perhaps start to think about how you're going to study it - e.g. making flashcards, making mind maps etc, depending on the subject of course. If you are aiming for top grades, I would recommend going home after school everyday and making your notes/flashcards for the lessons you've had that day so when it comes to revision it'll be a piece of cake. What subjects are you taking?

Triple science, rs, history, French and music as well as all of the other compulsory ones obviously
Reply 6
Hi. For triple science I recommend you buy all the textbooks. The ones I have brought are the aqa apporoved Lawrie Ryan ones (can send you the link if you wish) start making notes and file your notes in a folder. Also watch free science lessons videos on YouTube for explanations. Then for history and Re you don't need to do much, you'll cover everything in year 10 and 11. For French Start looking at the units you'll do and for example if you do a topic on school then learn general words such as shoes, tie, jumper, books, pens e.t.c. Word reference is a good website as well as duolingo. I recomendar you buy a French dictionary too. I dont do music so I'm not sure how you can revise for that, sorry. For maths, watch loads of maths genie videos and do lots of practice papers. For english language attempt the aqa specimen papers and compare your answers to model aqa answers in the mark scheme. For the writing section, try learning more ambitious vocal which can be achieved by reading more books. Also watch Mr Salles videos or Mr Bruff videos they are really good. For literature, buy the books you're going to study and try to read them. I regret not doing this as it's important to read a book before studying it, makes more sense. Also start making notes and again watch Salles and Bruff videos to deepen your analysis. But please don't spend all summer doing this. Enjoy it too because year 10 is hectic. You don't need to study too hard because you can do that in year 10 summer holidays before going into year 11. I'm going into year 11 and I'm going to start hardcore revision from Monday, so wish me luck because I procrastinate ALOT! Good luck for year 10 and make sure you work hard. If you have end of topic tests please revise well in advance not the day before like I usually did because you'll get very stressed and it'll become tedious. Hope all the advise helps and best of luck once again!!😊😊

Original post by izzyrose23
Triple science, rs, history, French and music as well as all of the other compulsory ones obviously
I'm in the same position as you, what I've done and plan to do is:

1) Buy the science and maths textbooks, and read through them, taking very general notes on each topic just so that I understand the general idea. Not any memorisation, just to make life easier when the workload gets bigger and I need to 'get' things instantly.
2) Find a reliable GCSE vocab list for AQA French (or whatever board/language you're doing) and put some of the general vocab into Quizlet. Nothing topic-specific, just things like connectives and time phrases, to amp up my writing/speaking skills.
3) Reorganise myself and my organisation system to make it quicker and easier to work during GCSE.
4) Reading French news every morning and looking up unfamiliar phrases. On a similar note, listening to French music and watching French movies.
5) Going through what I've done during year nine and condensing the year's notes into one key file, to make revision easier later on.
6) Looking up TSR's GCSE resources for all the subjects I'm taking, and favouriting ones that look the most useful from each key topic. Then, if they come up in school later on, I have a quick way to find more information.
7) Watching revision videos on YouTube and researching creative revision tips, and noting them down to use later during exam season so I don't get stuck just using flashcards again.

I'm doing quite a big amount and it's totally not needed, but I'd say just pick and choose whatever sounds appealing!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
[QUOTE="Sabz152;73064258"]Hi. For triple science I recommend you buy all the textbooks. The ones I have brought are the aqa apporoved Lawrie Ryan ones (can send you the link if you wish) start making notes and file your notes in a folder. Also watch free science lessons videos on YouTube for explanations. Then for history and Re you don't need to do much, you'll cover everything in year 10 and 11. For French Start looking at the units you'll do and for example if you do a topic on school then learn general words such as shoes, tie, jumper, books, pens e.t.c. Word reference is a good website as well as duolingo. I recomendar you buy a French dictionary too. I dont do music so I'm not sure how you can revise for that, sorry. For maths, watch loads of maths genie videos and do lots of practice papers. For english language attempt the aqa specimen papers and compare your answers to model aqa answers in the mark scheme. For the writing section, try learning more ambitious vocal which can be achieved by reading more books. Also watch Mr Salles videos or Mr Bruff videos they are really good. For literature, buy the books you're going to study and try to read them. I regret not doing this as it's important to read a book before studying it, makes more sense. Also start making notes and again watch Salles and Bruff videos to deepen your analysis. But please don't spend all summer doing this. Enjoy it too because year 10 is hectic. You don't need to study too hard because you can do that in year 10 summer holidays before going into year 11. I'm going into year 11 and I'm going to start hardcore revision from Monday, so wish me luck because I procrastinate ALOT! Good luck for year 10 and make sure you work hard. If you have end of topic tests please revise well in advance not the day before like I usually did because you'll get very stressed and it'll become tedious. Hope all the advise helps and best of luck once again!!😊😊[/QUOTE

Is Duolingo good for learning the french tenses, and is a cgp GCSE Science book good for Triple science (I'm doing it as well)
Reply 9
[QUOTE="SBizzy;73074464"]
Original post by Sabz152
Hi. For triple science I recommend you buy all the textbooks. The ones I have brought are the aqa apporoved Lawrie Ryan ones (can send you the link if you wish) start making notes and file your notes in a folder. Also watch free science lessons videos on YouTube for explanations. Then for history and Re you don't need to do much, you'll cover everything in year 10 and 11. For French Start looking at the units you'll do and for example if you do a topic on school then learn general words such as shoes, tie, jumper, books, pens e.t.c. Word reference is a good website as well as duolingo. I recomendar you buy a French dictionary too. I dont do music so I'm not sure how you can revise for that, sorry. For maths, watch loads of maths genie videos and do lots of practice papers. For english language attempt the aqa specimen papers and compare your answers to model aqa answers in the mark scheme. For the writing section, try learning more ambitious vocal which can be achieved by reading more books. Also watch Mr Salles videos or Mr Bruff videos they are really good. For literature, buy the books you're going to study and try to read them. I regret not doing this as it's important to read a book before studying it, makes more sense. Also start making notes and again watch Salles and Bruff videos to deepen your analysis. But please don't spend all summer doing this. Enjoy it too because year 10 is hectic. You don't need to study too hard because you can do that in year 10 summer holidays before going into year 11. I'm going into year 11 and I'm going to start hardcore revision from Monday, so wish me luck because I procrastinate ALOT! Good luck for year 10 and make sure you work hard. If you have end of topic tests please revise well in advance not the day before like I usually did because you'll get very stressed and it'll become tedious. Hope all the advise helps and best of luck once again!!😊😊

Is Duolingo good for learning the french tenses, and is a cgp GCSE Science book good for Triple science (I'm doing it as well)
Hi!

I don't do French but I've heard duolingo is really good for French, German and Spanish. Most of the people in my class have the cgp book and they say it's really good to learn from so I think you should be all right.

[QUOTE="SBizzy;73074484"]
Original post by SBizzy

Quick Reply

Latest