The Student Room Group

MSci vs MEng for Computer Science

Pretty much just this. Wondering whether there is any legitimate difference at all in what each degree will give me in terms of maybe applying for certain jobs post graduation. From what I can tell, it seems pretty irrelevant to the actual course on the most part, particularly when places like Manchester offer an MEng for 1 additional year to their BSci course. Any advice on what to consider? Or is it largely irrelevant
Original post by Rohit Joshi
Pretty much just this. Wondering whether there is any legitimate difference at all in what each degree will give me in terms of maybe applying for certain jobs post graduation. From what I can tell, it seems pretty irrelevant to the actual course on the most part, particularly when places like Manchester offer an MEng for 1 additional year to their BSci course. Any advice on what to consider? Or is it largely irrelevant

Having an MEng won't give you any advantage over someone with an MSci (and vice versa). It's just the style of degree that universities want to apply.

Both are undergraduate/integrated Masters degrees and require you to do an extra academic year on top compared to a normal BSc/BEng
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
Having an MEng won't give you any advantage over someone with an MSci (and vice versa). It's just the style of degree that universities want to apply.

Both are undergraduate/integrated Masters degrees and require you to do an extra academic year on top compared to a normal BSc/BEng

Okay that's good then. However, presuming there is no difference in desirability and just out of curiosity, what differences are there, or why is there this variation between Universities and especially between 3 and 4 year courses?
Original post by Rohit Joshi
Okay that's good then. However, presuming there is no difference in desirability and just out of curiosity, what differences are there, or why is there this variation between Universities and especially between 3 and 4 year courses?

A three-year course means you graduate with a Bachelors in Science (or engineering depending on the university)

A four year course means you graduate with a Masters IN Science (the IN is important here, not of as of suggests it is a postgraduate MSc) or a Master of Engineering

I assume that's what you are asking? Sometimes universities have more "engineering" oriented modules in their degree programme so might opt for the MEng post-nominal instead. Just take a look at the modules offered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending