The Student Room Group

History or Maths A level??????

Hey guys i need your advice. I'm doing A levels next year but i keep reconsidering my options.
At the moment, i've definitely decided that i'm doing A level politics, french and AS psychology, however I dont know whether I should pick history or maths as my third A level.
I'm hoping to study languages/law/politics/history at uni but i'm not sure yet.

1.Which a level do you guys think i should do and why?
2. Is it hard to cope with 4 mainly essay based subjects? (dropping psychology at AS)
3.which required more work out of the two?
4.which is more interesting?

btw history and maths will be both on the edexcel exam board.

the topics for history ;
Britain transformed, 1918–97,
Depth study:The USA, c1920–55: boom, bust and recovery.,
Britain: losing and gaining an empire, c. 1763–1914’.
and coursework

also is the coursework very hard for history??

thanks in advance :smile:)
Well History fits your other options, as well as your potential university courses. I don't see why would pick anything but History given those, particularly as it is so advantageous for many languages, law, and politics courses, and required for history.
which one did you prefer at gcse? which do you find easier? either maths or history would look good on a uni application, but look at course requirements and see if a history A-Level is compulsory. From friends who did Politics A-Level, I'm lead to believe theres lots of history dealt with in the course anyway. Maths I personally think is a good subject for anyone to take, but if you got less than an A at GCSE it will require quite a bit of work. I can't talk for History as I havent studied it at all past year 9😂
History seems like the most sensible choice since that is kinda what you want to study so i say history... @Idku
I would be inclined to recommend History, for the same reasons already mentioned. Maths doesn't really add anything to your overall portfolio of A-levels, and isn't particularly relevant unless you're interested in e.g. Computational Linguistics.

Whether Maths is "harder" or "easier" depends entirely on yourself, but it's a very different style and generally requires more consistent (i.e. daily/weekly) work than essay subjects (where you can occasionally "slack" for a week and pick up the reading the next week, as long as you power through the "crunch times" where you have multiple essays due over a couple weeks or similar).
Reply 5
Original post by xBasedChris
Well History fits your other options, as well as your potential university courses. I don't see why would pick anything but History given those, particularly as it is so advantageous for many languages, law, and politics courses, and required for history.

thanks for your reply.
I wouldn't mind doing history except i'm scared that four essay based subjects might be too much work. what subjects do you do?
Reply 6
Original post by zlwarner24
which one did you prefer at gcse? which do you find easier? either maths or history would look good on a uni application, but look at course requirements and see if a history A-Level is compulsory. From friends who did Politics A-Level, I'm lead to believe theres lots of history dealt with in the course anyway. Maths I personally think is a good subject for anyone to take, but if you got less than an A at GCSE it will require quite a bit of work. I can't talk for History as I havent studied it at all past year 9😂

tysm for your reply!! I think I liked maths and history equally as much at gcse and i get the same grades for both of them😂😂 I'm predicted 8/A* for both but i keep reconsidering which one to do, I feel like if i do maths i will miss history and vice versa. do you do maths at alevel?
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
I would be inclined to recommend History, for the same reasons already mentioned. Maths doesn't really add anything to your overall portfolio of A-levels, and isn't particularly relevant unless you're interested in e.g. Computational Linguistics.

Whether Maths is "harder" or "easier" depends entirely on yourself, but it's a very different style and generally requires more consistent (i.e. daily/weekly) work than essay subjects (where you can occasionally "slack" for a week and pick up the reading the next week, as long as you power through the "crunch times" where you have multiple essays due over a couple weeks or similar).

I'm not completely sure what i wanna study at university that's why im confused which one would be better. because say if i change my mind and want to study something like economics, wouldnt i need maths for that? what a levels do you do? would you recommend doing four mainly essay based subjects?
Original post by Idku
tysm for your reply!! I think I liked maths and history equally as much at gcse and i get the same grades for both of them😂😂 I'm predicted 8/A* for both but i keep reconsidering which one to do, I feel like if i do maths i will miss history and vice versa. do you do maths at alevel?

I did History but not Maths. I got a D in Maths GCSE (Bumped up to a C in the November resit) but an A* in History. You can probably guess my attitudes towards them as subjects, so the choice wasn't particularly difficult! It does seem like History will be the best choice given your aspirations.
Reply 9
I did History but not Maths. I got a D in Maths GCSE (Bumped up to a C in the November resit) but an A* in History. You can probably guess my attitudes towards them as subjects, so the choice wasn't particularly difficult! It does seem like History will be the best choice given your aspirations.

How hard did you find history at a level? also, does the coursework require a lot of work and do you have to do it at school or at home?
Original post by Idku
How hard did you find history at a level? also, does the coursework require a lot of work and do you have to do it at school or at home?

I only did it to AS, and it was certainly a step up from GCSE. I got an A in my AS. There was simply a lot more information to be aware of with A-Level, more so than any other subject IMO. I recall my A-Level textbook for Henry II and the Crusades being many times thicker than my GCSE textbook. As I recall, my friends who did the coursework did it both at home and at school.
Reply 11
I only did it to AS, and it was certainly a step up from GCSE. I got an A in my AS. There was simply a lot more information to be aware of with A-Level, more so than any other subject IMO. I recall my A-Level textbook for Henry II and the Crusades being many times thicker than my GCSE textbook. As I recall, my friends who did the coursework did it both at home and at school.

I think i might just do history as i will probably enjoy it more, thanks for your help!!:smile:
Original post by Idku
I'm not completely sure what i wanna study at university that's why im confused which one would be better. because say if i change my mind and want to study something like economics, wouldnt i need maths for that? what a levels do you do? would you recommend doing four mainly essay based subjects?

Yes, economics normally requires Maths - and even if not, it's a good idea to take it. However you've made no indication of interest in economics, and your subject choices don't really suggest an interest particularly in that area either at present.

If that is a consideration I would recommend taking both history and maths, as these are usually considered excellent preparation for economics. I would suggest taking out psychology or french from your options to fit them in, as neither is particularly more relevant or useful for those courses.
Original post by Idku

I did, get the results next week 😬 I got an A* at GCSE and a B last year at AS, though it was the statistics module that brought me down. Though challenging at times I felt that Maths was really rewarding.
Whichever you pick, you wont be at any disadvantage, so I guess don't worry too much about it, you'll probably get a clearer idea of preference post GCSE results :smile:
Original post by Idku
thanks for your reply.
I wouldn't mind doing history except i'm scared that four essay based subjects might be too much work. what subjects do you do?

I do 4 essay based subjects (in a school that sets lot of hwk) it is very manageable :smile:
The volume of material for History is insane. But if you're comfortable handling that, as well as a fairly essay-heavy combo, then that's my recommendation given your targeted course.
Original post by Idku
Hey guys i need your advice. I'm doing A levels next year but i keep reconsidering my options.
At the moment, i've definitely decided that i'm doing A level politics, french and AS psychology, however I dont know whether I should pick history or maths as my third A level.

2. Is it hard to cope with 4 mainly essay based subjects? (dropping psychology at AS)

the topics for history ;
and coursework

I did both and I did 4 a levels so hopefully I can help. I did psychology, maths, English lit and history (at AS I also did classics and got an A but I had to drop something)

Doing 4 academically challenging subjects is difficult, It's low-key he'll especially when you can't stay on top of it and sometimes I felt like i didn't do enough revision for some topics. If you want to do 4 heavy subjects you are gunna unfortunately sacrifice some of your life but it's worth it in the end if you really wanted to do them like me.

Going by your future aspirations history is more useful. But it is your choice at the end of the day.

4 essay based subjects will be hard, maths was actually more relaxed for me knowing I wouldn't walk in to a lesson knowing my hand would drop off by the end of it. It's nice to have some variation when it comes to your a levels, Also can sometimes show more skills.

Both require work but in different ways. History is more content heavy but when it comes to maths you should know all the basics long before your exams and have all the past papers completed (although if you're on the new spec that might pose an issue). I personally found history a bit more difficult but I've never had a problem with maths.

Both are equally as interesting but I'm a nerd lmao. Most will probably find history more interesting.

History coursework time now lmao. Please please please do the research as early as you can as well as your drafts. It was proper hell doing ours and didn't help our exam board changed some rules in December. Make sure you listen to all the advice you're given. Never slack on coursework at a level you'll find it's you're only hope lmao.

If it helps anything all my exam boards were AQA. I hope your choice suits you in the end gl.
Original post by Idku

the topics for history ;
and coursework

For the options you've already mentioned, history sounds like it would fit the best with! However, maths opens up doors to other university paths if you happen to change your mind! Either is a great choice!

Quick Reply

Latest