The Student Room Group

Buying alcohol for the first time - Worried I look too young

Hey everyone,

So, I'm currently 17 and I'm turning 18 mid September. I'm really not in the slightest bit excited tbh.

Anyway, even though I'm not much of a party goer, it will be nice to buy drinks. However, I look like a 12 year old (maybe this is a slight over exaggeration, but I feel like I look like a 15 year old or so). I have a pretty young looking face and I'm like 5 foot 7/8 (I'm a guy btw).

I have ID - So I have my provisional driving license. I guess I also have access to my passport but that would not be ideal as the picture is more outdated and it's more precious than a provisional. What I'm worried about is being rejected and embarrassing myself. I don't want to get in trouble or be rejected even though I really am 18! I know shops aren't obliged to sell you stuff and it's totally their choice to reject you but this can't be very fair lol.

My questions are, has anyone else been 18 but very small/look young and still been able to buy? Also, are there certain stores where it's better to buy like corner shops or bigger supermarkets like Sainburys? (more likely to be accepted basically)

I don't want to get my mum to buy for me because I actually doubt she'd do that... The only thing I've ever bought where I needed an ID was a scratch card (lol) and I didn't even have an ID on me, the guy looked at me strange and really didn't think I was 17, I showed him my 16+ oyster (which is far from acceptable ID lol) and after a bit of persuasion he let me buy. Now imagine me getting some alcohol lmao :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by romansholiday
Hey

If you have ID and the picture is you then it's not an issue, bring something else with your name on like your debit card if you're that worried they'll want to cross-check the name with something else (they won't). If you're legally an adult then you're legally allowed to buy alcohol, they can't refuse you with official ID just because you don't look like your exact age. It will work everywhere, that's the entire point of them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I always get weird looks when buying drinks... I can just feel them judging me so bad.

But when I was 16/17 I could easily served alcohol in restaurants without being ID’d... they don’t seem to be as strict
Original post by romansholiday
Hey everyone,

So, I'm currently 17 and I'm turning 18 mid September. I'm really not in the slightest bit excited tbh.

Anyway, even though I'm not much of a party goer, it will be nice to buy drinks. However, I look like a 12 year old (maybe this is a slight over exaggeration, but I feel like I look like a 15 year old or so). I have a pretty young looking face and I'm like 5 foot 7/8 (I'm a guy btw).

I have ID - So I have my provisional driving license. I guess I also have access to my passport but that would not be ideal as the picture is more outdated and it's more precious than a provisional. What I'm worried about is being rejected and embarrassing myself. I don't want to get in trouble or be rejected even though I really am 18! I know shops aren't obliged to sell you stuff and it's totally their choice to reject you but this can't be very fair lol.

My questions are, has anyone else been 18 but very small/look young and still been able to buy? Also, are there certain stores where it's better to buy like corner shops or bigger supermarkets like Sainburys? (more likely to be accepted basically)

I don't want to get my mum to buy for me because I actually doubt she'd do that... The only thing I've ever bought where I needed an ID was a scratch card (lol) and I didn't even have an ID on me, the guy looked at me strange and really didn't think I was 17, I showed him my 16+ oyster (which is far from acceptable ID lol) and after a bit of persuasion he let me buy. Now imagine me getting some alcohol lmao :biggrin:

I had the same problem and all the did was say "you look a bit young to be drinking" but once they saw my ID it was all fine. I've even been asked for ID to buy fuel.. For my car... With a full licence.. Bit odd :h:
Reply 4
I am 21 and I think I don't look 18 sometimes lmao. But seriously if you have a form of valid ID the chance of them refusing you is incredibly slim.
I relate because I look way younger than I actually am XD so I am always getting ID'd for whatever, whether it's buying alcohol or a lottery ticket. All in all, as long as you have ID, then you should be fine. I usually buy my alcohol in small supermarkets, they always ID you but I am not sure about corner shops. You could try, but always carry your ID in case :>
Reply 6
There is no need to worry :smile:
If you are over 18 and you have a genuine piece of ID then they have no right to refuse to serve you. If you can back it up with another piece of ID if they question the legitimacy of the ID you have provided then even better!
Original post by Glassapple
If you have ID and the picture is you then it's not an issue, bring something else with your name on like your debit card if you're that worried they'll want to cross-check the name with something else (they won't). If you're legally an adult then you're legally allowed to buy alcohol, they can't refuse you with official ID just because you don't look like your exact age. It will work everywhere, that's the entire point of them.

I agree.
Just make sure you have your ID with you in case they ask.
They can't reject you if you have valid ID
Reply 9
Erm, you won't get in trouble. They will ask you for ID (usually), you will present the ID, they will give you the alcohol. Take it from someone in basically the same situation - at 18 I was about 5'4" (male), and could easily be mistaken for 14/15. You might be able to sense some incredulity, but there will be no ramifications beyond your ego potentially being hurt lol.
You've got ID. What is the issue?
i cant remember the last time i wasnt asked for id tbh
If you have ID then it is a non issue. Stop worrying.
Reply 13
If you have ID, no problem. In 10 years you'll be wishing you looked younger instead of older. Enjoy looking young before your skin turns leathery!
Why would you want to buy alcohol in the first place? It's just bad for you, I don't see what good it does.
I'm younger than you and a girl but way taller.... Meh

Quick Reply

Latest