The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Business management

Hi there,
Would anyone who is studying at Sheffield please tell me how is the business management course in sheffield?
Is it difficult?And how is the university?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hey,

I'm a second-year business management student at Sheffield. The course is very easy and quite dull tbh. Most of second year is the same as first but just in slightly more depth with less module. The uni overall though is quite good and there are loads of great societies to get involved in.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by nafrog
Hey,

I'm a second-year business management student at Sheffield. The course is very easy and quite dull tbh. Most of second year is the same as first but just in slightly more depth with less module. The uni overall though is quite good and there are loads of great societies to get involved in.

I got my conditional offer for Business Management at Sheffield.. and I whas wondering something: Where do the undergrad lectures take place? Are they in the main city centre campus or the management school which is located further out? And about the management school, the distance to the University's main buildings is significant?
Does the course have a lot of maths involved?
Original post by andrepinto99
I got my conditional offer for Business Management at Sheffield.. and I whas wondering something: Where do the undergrad lectures take place? Are they in the main city centre campus or the management school which is located further out? And about the management school, the distance to the University's main buildings is significant?
Does the course have a lot of maths involved?

Hi there!

My name is Emily and I'm a Sheffield University Management School student ambassador. I have just graduated from the BA (Hons) International Business Management course.

In my first year, most undergraduate lectures took place in venues surrounding the Students Union, so in the main part of the campus as it were. Your lectures can be held in various different departments, I had lectures in the Chemistry department and the Medical School.
Some lectures, maybe one a semester for example, and most tutorials will take place in the Management School which is around a 10 minute walk from the Students Union so it's really not far al all. You can have lectures back-to-back, one in the Students Union and one in the Management School straight after and still make it.
In final year, I had more lectures in the Management School and all my tutorials in there too. But by this point, you will be living in private accommodation which may be around this area anyway so it's really convenient.

There isn't too much maths involved in the course overall. In first year you are expected to do a Business Economics course and also an Analysis for Decision Making class, which is statistics based. I got a B in GCSE Maths and didn't take it at A-level and I got a high 2:1 in the class so you have nothing to worry about. The class is split into those who did A-level Maths and those who didn't, so you receive extra support if you didn't. In second and final year, there are the option to do some modules with a maths element, but these are optional.

I hope this helps!
Original post by UoSManagement
Hi there!

My name is Emily and I'm a Sheffield University Management School student ambassador. I have just graduated from the BA (Hons) International Business Management course.

In my first year, most undergraduate lectures took place in venues surrounding the Students Union, so in the main part of the campus as it were. Your lectures can be held in various different departments, I had lectures in the Chemistry department and the Medical School.
Some lectures, maybe one a semester for example, and most tutorials will take place in the Management School which is around a 10 minute walk from the Students Union so it's really not far al all. You can have lectures back-to-back, one in the Students Union and one in the Management School straight after and still make it.
In final year, I had more lectures in the Management School and all my tutorials in there too. But by this point, you will be living in private accommodation which may be around this area anyway so it's really convenient.

There isn't too much maths involved in the course overall. In first year you are expected to do a Business Economics course and also an Analysis for Decision Making class, which is statistics based. I got a B in GCSE Maths and didn't take it at A-level and I got a high 2:1 in the class so you have nothing to worry about. The class is split into those who did A-level Maths and those who didn't, so you receive extra support if you didn't. In second and final year, there are the option to do some modules with a maths element, but these are optional.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the answer!! I just got my unconditional offer from Sheffield, I'm really looking forward to uni!! Btw, I sent an application to the halls in July, when do you think that they're going to give me an answer? And another thing, is it possible to ask them if I can start living in the halls before classes? Like in 25th of august? Because I'm portuguese and I need to do a lot before uni, like getting a national insurance number, start a bank account, find a part-time job, etc..
Original post by andrepinto99
Thanks for the answer!! I just got my unconditional offer from Sheffield, I'm really looking forward to uni!! Btw, I sent an application to the halls in July, when do you think that they're going to give me an answer? And another thing, is it possible to ask them if I can start living in the halls before classes? Like in 25th of august? Because I'm portuguese and I need to do a lot before uni, like getting a national insurance number, start a bank account, find a part-time job, etc..

Hi there, it's Emily again.

Congrats on your unconditional! You can contact the accommodation team at:
[email protected] and send a query about when you will have a response for them.

I know for international student, the university offers an Orientation Week which will begin on the 11th September, this is so they are able to find out more about the university, city etc. You can find out more about this here:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/newstudents/orientation-week

The standard move-in date for accommodation will be the weekend following orientation week.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending