The Student Room Group

I'm only doing two A-Levels (and an AS)

Kinda freaking out, I've e-mailed loads of universities and even with my circumstances, they still expect 3 full A-Levels. The only two universities that are willing to consider me are Essex Uni and Kent Uni. I just can't do 3 A-Levels right now but I can't stay another year, the small number of friends I do have will be going to university and i'll be left behind. I can't even pick another A-Level, I'd have to take a BTEC if I was to stay for another year.
Its made even worse by the fact that even if I did have 3 A-Levels, loads of Comp Sci courses want maths at A-Level when I haven't taken maths.
Original post by xxVENUSx
Kinda freaking out, I've e-mailed loads of universities and even with my circumstances, they still expect 3 full A-Levels. The only two universities that are willing to consider me are Essex Uni and Kent Uni. I just can't do 3 A-Levels right now but I can't stay another year, the small number of friends I do have will be going to university and i'll be left behind. I can't even pick another A-Level, I'd have to take a BTEC if I was to stay for another year.
Its made even worse by the fact that even if I did have 3 A-Levels, loads of Comp Sci courses want maths at A-Level when I haven't taken maths.

Basically, calm down... and tell us what A level subjects are you doing? Focus on your 2 A2s and AS and then possibly take a gap year and complete the A2 for that AS subject? :smile:

Also regarding your friends, you can still stay in touch when they are in uni. Well if you are close... tbh if you all go uni at the same time you might drift away anyway. Im retaking my year, new school and I have made so many new friends its great, and I am sure in your situation you would have friends retaking or on gap years anyway

It's possible but how come you couldn't take 3 subjects first time round?
Have you considered doing a Computer Science with Foundation Year degree? 2 A levels would be fine for that.
You could always do general studies at A level. Depends what course you're doing, but it's maybe better than nothing. Some unis accept it, such as Liverpool uni (with the exception of some science subjects).
Reply 5
Original post by SuperHuman98
Basically, calm down... and tell us what A level subjects are you doing? Focus on your 2 A2s and AS and then possibly take a gap year and complete the A2 for that AS subject? :smile:

Also regarding your friends, you can still stay in touch when they are in uni. Well if you are close... tbh if you all go uni at the same time you might drift away anyway. Im retaking my year, new school and I have made so many new friends its great, and I am sure in your situation you would have friends retaking or on gap years anyway

I'm taking A2 Chemistry and Biology
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
Have you considered doing a Computer Science with Foundation Year degree? 2 A levels would be fine for that.

I was thinking about that
Reply 7
Original post by TSR Shiraaz
It's possible but how come you couldn't take 3 subjects first time round?

I was going to but mental health and neurological issues mean that I have to drop it.
I was going to but mental health and neurological issues mean that I have to drop it.

Oh sorry to hear that! :frown: it's still possible.
Reply 9
I don't know, is a foundation year worth the extra £9250.
x

Heya!

Just to let you know I've moved this over to A-levels, where you'll hopefully get some more responses to your question. I do hope everything works out for you. :smile:

Ethan
Reply 11
Urgh most universities that I'm e-mailing are rejecting the idea. I just don't want to stay behind another year, I won't be able to complete an A-Level in one year and a BTEC won't help me.
Reply 12
Urgh most universities that I'm e-mailing are rejecting the idea. I just don't want to stay behind another year, I won't be able to complete an A-Level in one year and a BTEC won't help me.

What did you do in the end?

I'm in EXACTLY the same position as you right now...

Dropped Maths, doing A2 Bio and Chem, I have the option to do a BTEC maybe.
Reply 13
Original post by Razerz
What did you do in the end?

I'm in EXACTLY the same position as you right now...

Dropped Maths, doing A2 Bio and Chem, I have the option to do a BTEC maybe.

I'm doing a foundation year at the University of Essex. They gave me an unconditional offer as well!
Reply 14
I'm doing a foundation year at the University of Essex. They gave me an unconditional offer as well!

That's great! What did you choose for your second year tho, for A2?
Don't panic. It's not the end of the world. I would prehaps suggest you do a BETEC and stay on another year, even though you would be doing it without some of your freinds.

Quite a lot of UNI's accept BTEC's
Take a foundation year a lot of UNI's will take you on a foundation year
Idk if you're considering studying abroad, but my friend applied to universities in Canada which accept only 2 A-levels bc A-levels are considered to be way harder than the Canadian system. Just a thought.

Quick Reply

Latest