The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Just finished my first year at Lancaster -- ask me anything!

About the course, about campus living, about life.

Scroll to see replies

Would you reccomend? I went on the summer school and loved it, so it's currently my 3rd choice, but not sure whether to move it up or down! Cheers :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by laurxnxdavixs00
Would you reccomend? I went on the summer school and loved it, so it's currently my 3rd choice, but not sure whether to move it up or down! Cheers :smile:

I love Lancaster and would recommend it, but it won't be for everyone.

It depends on the course you are going to do, whether you like campus universities, whether you prefer small cities, and what you see your extra-curricular life as looking like.
Reply 3
Hey, if you choose a course and want to change to a course at a different department e.g. psychology to business management, would it be possible? Do you need to write a new personal statement for the course and is there a time limit? :smile:
Original post by MowD.
Hey, if you choose a course and want to change to a course at a different department e.g. psychology to business management, would it be possible? Do you need to write a new personal statement for the course and is there a time limit? :smile:

Do you mean before starting uni or while you're at uni?

Because I applied to five universities but before I went to uni I changed my mind and applied through UCAS Extra to do a different course. I did end up writing a new personal statement.

If you mean at uni, I'd say it depends on your A-levels and the professors you speak to. However, some courses allow you to take a "minor" in first year which gives you flexibility to switch. So you could do psychology as your major but minor in business management, and then drop psychology after the first year.
Original post by JohnGreek
Is Lancaster a weabo-friendly institution? :P

We have a thriving anime and manga society, and for the small sum of £3 a year you can have Japanese lessons from the Culture Society. :smile:

So I would say yes.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
We have a thriving anime and manga society, and for the small sum of £3 a year you can have Japanese lessons from the Culture Society. :smile:

So I would say yes.

Any females there?
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Any females there?

I'm not in the society myself, but I know of at least one girl who was.

As for the Japanese lessons, I recall there being slightly more girls than guys in the class.
I'm not in the society myself, but I know of at least one girl who was.

As for the Japanese lessons, I recall there being slightly more girls than guys in the class.

The perception is that anime girls are the ones with acne and thiccness. Is this true?
Have you visited the Quantum Technology Centre? What are the physics guys / gals like there?

Have you eaten in "The Deli"? Do you like the pies from the Bowland Shale pub thing on campus?
Reply 10
Thanks for your response. Also may I ask which course are you studying & how did you come to choose it? Is it more easier or difficult than expected (after the first year).
Any females there?

Forever on the pull for a Waifu
Original post by Maths is Life
Forever on the pull for a Waifu

I'm human and I need to be loved.

Yeah I'm blind since I have no idea what subject(s) you did in first year
The perception is that anime girls are the ones with acne and thiccness. Is this true?

I really don't know, sorry. :h:

Original post by DrSebWilkes
Have you visited the Quantum Technology Centre? What are the physics guys / gals like there?

Have you eaten in "The Deli"? Do you like the pies from the Bowland Shale pub thing on campus?

I'm afraid I haven't. And eating in the Deli was on my to-do list but I never ate there in my first year... same with the pies.

Original post by MowD.
Thanks for your response. Also may I ask which course are you studying & how did you come to choose it? Is it more easier or difficult than expected (after the first year).

I chose English Language and Creative Writing but I dropped the Creative Writing after first year. I chose it because I had a teacher who had been to Lancaster and my mum sent me a link to the course saying, "I think you might be interested". As for difficulty, it wasn't all that hard. I spent all my time doing other stuff and I still came out with a 2:1 for first year.

Original post by Maths is Life
Yeah I'm blind since I have no idea what subject(s) you did in first year

Linguistics, English Language, Creative Writing.

I don't recommend the Creative Writing department though.
Original post by DrSebWilkes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChw2nOY1TKsSqb-gktzHMUA
What is Chancellor's Wharf like? Is it noisy?

Do you know anything about other Halls located on the Cable and Penny Street?
i am going to freshers week this year at LU and i wanted to know whats the week like and if i need a wrist band or is it all college based? thanks

Hello
What are the entry grades requirement from A levels to study Computer Science in Lancaster University?
Also which subjects are required for the entry?
what is lancaster known for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending