The Student Room Group

Ask an Admissions Tutor applying age 21+

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello! I'm an American planning to apply to UK universities in the next three or four years to study English (BA). I graduated high school in 2004 and attended two universities and a college from 2004-2008 and very briefly in 2010. I am planning to attend community college and earn an AA degree and then apply to universities in both the US and the UK. I gather from the undergraduate admissions page that I will need to submit my high school transcript. Will I need to submit transcripts from every university or college I attended, or will Cambridge just be interested in the transcript from the recent college? I hope my question makes sense! Thank you!
Hello, I am an offer holder for graduate antry medicine at Hughes, and I am 29 years old. My conditions were to resit A level chemistry and get and A (because mine were over 7 years ago, in which I had an A*), and to complete my current MPhil in genomics medicine (Newnham college) this year. I have a first class BSc (2:0) Neuroscience from Kings College London and my MPHil grades average above 75 at this point, excluding dissertation. My mother is terminally ill with brain tumour with only few months left at most, this was very sudden, we only knew about it in November and since then I have flied home 5 times (weeks stay each) to see her and help my father who is her sole carer and in desperate need of support. During the day of one of my A level exams (out of the 2 A2 papers I was requeired to resit), I was distressed because my mother was hospitalised again 2 days before. Plus I had to pass 2 modules of my MPhil on that same week as this A level exam (I got 77 and 73 in those modules). I have let known the college of extenuating circumstances, my New nham tutor wrote a letter to them for me, however I do not know if it will make any difference in case my one exam grade is really bad and not a near miss. If I lose this offer, I might not be able to reapply next year as there might not be funding for EU students any more. My family does nto and cannot support me financially if I fail, so I will be left without anything. I wish to ask you if there is any instances that students get accepted even having missed one of the conditions, I am extremely frustrated and do not know what else to do. Should I write to admissions today myself as well, before results are out? I am seriously anxious and do not know what to do. I have excellent academic record and I fear I might lose everything because of 1 hour i was distressed about my terminally ill mother. Thanks.
Reply 42
Original post by AliceLewis
Hello, I am an offer holder for graduate antry medicine at Hughes, and I am 29 years old. My conditions were to resit A level chemistry and get and A (because mine were over 7 years ago, in which I had an A*), and to complete my current MPhil in genomics medicine (Newnham college) this year. I have a first class BSc (2:0) Neuroscience from Kings College London and my MPHil grades average above 75 at this point, excluding dissertation. My mother is terminally ill with brain tumour with only few months left at most, this was very sudden, we only knew about it in November and since then I have flied home 5 times (weeks stay each) to see her and help my father who is her sole carer and in desperate need of support. During the day of one of my A level exams (out of the 2 A2 papers I was requeired to resit), I was distressed because my mother was hospitalised again 2 days before. Plus I had to pass 2 modules of my MPhil on that same week as this A level exam (I got 77 and 73 in those modules). I have let known the college of extenuating circumstances, my New nham tutor wrote a letter to them for me, however I do not know if it will make any difference in case my one exam grade is really bad and not a near miss. If I lose this offer, I might not be able to reapply next year as there might not be funding for EU students any more. My family does nto and cannot support me financially if I fail, so I will be left without anything. I wish to ask you if there is any instances that students get accepted even having missed one of the conditions, I am extremely frustrated and do not know what else to do. Should I write to admissions today myself as well, before results are out? I am seriously anxious and do not know what to do. I have excellent academic record and I fear I might lose everything because of 1 hour i was distressed about my terminally ill mother. Thanks.

Alice, sorry but did you contact Hughes as per your questions in the other thread?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72976174&postcount=130

I expect it is only Hughes that can answer your very specific queries.
Hello, I am a reapplicant in Architecture, will turn 21 by the 2018 entry. However, as I face an unexpected gap year, I have to make plans for the year quite quickly. I know that I can't enroll in a uni course in the uk and apply to Cambridge for the same subject. However, what's the case with universities abroad? Thanks!
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
Hi there, we have all your application in mind the whole way through the process. Your interview may well refer to personal statement and this is your opportunity to let us know what interests you academically. We base offers on the application as a whole.

Thanks for the question

Are there different weightage given I.e. Interview has a greater weightage compared to the personal statement and the written test ?
Original post by isaacnow
Are there different weightage given I.e. Interview has a greater weightage compared to the personal statement and the written test ?

We don't assign marks to different elements of your application. We assess the initial UCAS form and SAQ to see if you meet the entry requirements and have demonstrated an interest in your subject. If you are invited to interview then some of the interview may be based on your personal statement. Any assessment you take will also feed into that holistic assessment of your application.

Your personal statement allows you to tell us what interests you academically and how you have pursued that interest.

The assessment allows us to see how you perform under exam conditions and whether you have a good level of knowledge in your subject.

The interview allows you to experience a supervision style setting and allows us to see how you react to our style of teaching. We can also find out more about your level of knowledge in particular topics and ask more questions about the super curricular activities you have been pursuing.

So all these elements are important.
Hi there,

We would consider applications from candidates with both A Levels and Access to HE courses (or a combination of both). we have many students of English Literature who have successfully applied with an Access to HE course, so if that makes the most sense for you financially then it could be the best option. You could always take an A Level in English Literature alongside the Access course.

It's often a good idea to get in touch with the Admissions office at this point to ensure you do meet all our entrance requirements. You can email Gaby at [email protected]

Thanks for the question

Original post by olisipographer
Hi there,

I want to apply to English at Lucy Cavendish.

I completed 310 ects of a BA in Journalism from a Portuguese university (2014) and am debating whether A levels or Access to HE would be the best route.

I'm not really sure what would prepare me best for doing English at Cambridge - I was thinking A level English Literature, French and Philosophy or History, but am also unclear on whether 3 A levels are the minimum number to be considered or if I could just do English Literature?

I'm tempted by the idea of doing an Access to HE diploma as it would make more sense money-wise. Would an Access to HE diploma in Humanities and Social Science make sense?

Thank you!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello,

I'm hoping to apply for an MPhil starting in Autumn 2018. I've completed my undergraduate degree (strong first class, 85% weighted average in an essay-based subject, with a couple of academic prizes) and will be taking an MA at another university for the 17/18 year. My problem is this: it's a full year MA, with submission of the dissertation not taking place until the end of August 2018. From what I've read, it's typical for offers to include successful completion of any current courses (either with or without a specified classification). In the event that I was offered a place, I wouldn't be able to meet the conditions by July 31st, or even obtain a confirmation that I had submitted all work and was on-track to pass.

So - are offers ever made without these sorts of conditions? If not, I suppose my only option would be to try to complete and submit the dissertation by mid-July, well ahead of the deadline, which is why I'm looking at my options this early! Any advice you could provide would be helpful.
Reply 48
Hi,

I'm an international applicant from Canada, and I am planning to study Medicine at Cambridge. I graduated from high school 2 years ago, but have not yet attended university, due to documented health issues, the likes of which I've only recovered from now. I did not perform so well in my science courses during my final high school years out of a lack of interest, although my overall GPA was good (low 90's), and I could not take any AP classes as they were not offered at my school. However, during this extended "gap year", I've found an interest in studying Medicine. So, my question is this, is it possible that Cambridge will accept SAT subject tests (in Biology, Chemistry and Physics) that I have done this year in place of A-Levels, given my situation of having left school 2 years ago and not being able to retake those science classes?
I know it is stated on the website that "SAT Subject Tests are not normally viewed as being equivalent to A Level/IB Higher Level/Advanced Placement (AP) Tests," however can an exception be made in this case?

Thanks.:smile:
Hi there,

Entry to Medicine at Cambridge is very competitive, so to give yourself a good chance you need to first of all ensure you meet the entrance criteria. This leaflet has quite detailed information:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/key_criteria_for_medical_admissions.pdf

With so many candidates applying with A Levels or APs, it is unlikely your application would be viewed as competitive in the gathered field. It would also not necessarily be in your best interests to start a course that has such a significant focus on medical science without first obtaining the required entry standard.

Thanks for the question

Original post by tejs4224
Hi,

I'm an international applicant from Canada, and I am planning to study Medicine at Cambridge. I graduated from high school 2 years ago, but have not yet attended university, due to documented health issues, the likes of which I've only recovered from now. I did not perform so well in my science courses during my final high school years out of a lack of interest, although my overall GPA was good (low 90's), and I could not take any AP classes as they were not offered at my school. However, during this extended "gap year", I've found an interest in studying Medicine. So, my question is this, is it possible that Cambridge will accept SAT subject tests (in Biology, Chemistry and Physics) that I have done this year in place of A-Levels, given my situation of having left school 2 years ago and not being able to retake those science classes?
I know it is stated on the website that "SAT Subject Tests are not normally viewed as being equivalent to A Level/IB Higher Level/Advanced Placement (AP) Tests," however can an exception be made in this case?

Thanks.:smile:
Thanks for the question. There are deadline dates associated with each entry term:

Michaelmas (1 October) - deadline 31 July (two months before admission)
Lent (5 January) - deadline 1 December (one month before admission)
Easter (17 April) - deadline 17 March (one month before admission)

You would need to have submitted all the paperwork associated with your offer condition before the respective deadline.

It is worth contacting the relevant department and the University Graduate Admissions Office to check their guidelines as they set the conditions on offers for Graduate students.

Original post by InvisibleDuck
Hello,

I'm hoping to apply for an MPhil starting in Autumn 2018. I've completed my undergraduate degree (strong first class, 85% weighted average in an essay-based subject, with a couple of academic prizes) and will be taking an MA at another university for the 17/18 year. My problem is this: it's a full year MA, with submission of the dissertation not taking place until the end of August 2018. From what I've read, it's typical for offers to include successful completion of any current courses (either with or without a specified classification). In the event that I was offered a place, I wouldn't be able to meet the conditions by July 31st, or even obtain a confirmation that I had submitted all work and was on-track to pass.

So - are offers ever made without these sorts of conditions? If not, I suppose my only option would be to try to complete and submit the dissertation by mid-July, well ahead of the deadline, which is why I'm looking at my options this early! Any advice you could provide would be helpful.
Reply 51
Hi, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. My question is regarding compulsory pooling for post A Level applicants.

I am currently 21 years old and will be applying to study Linguistics for 2018 entry. I achieved 11 A* grades at GCSE in 2012 and went on to study for AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, French and Maths and achieved 4 A grades. I continued with Chemistry, Maths and French A Levels and achieved A*A*A in 2014. I then completed my A Level in Biology in 2015 and achieved an A* grade.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding, post A level applicants are automatically pooled following interview if they have 3A* grades at A Level. As I have achieved 3A* grades at A Level, just not in the same sitting, would I be eligible for compulsory pooling if I were to receive an interview?

Thank you!
Reply 52
Hi , I am a mature applicant(21yrs) from India and want to apply for my second undergraduate degree in law in 2018. So my grade 12 result ( I think that's equivalent to a levels in the UK) was fairly good - I scored 95% in 4 subjects ( maths , english , economics and accounts ) and 97% in business studies. I completed my first undergraduate degree in commerce this year and achieved first class honours (71%) I am currently a first year student in Campus law centre , which is among the top law schools in India after securing an All India Rank of 493 out of almost 20,000 applicants but I am looking to make a change. With these basic stats do you think my application will be competitive enough for cambridge?
Reply 53
Hi

I am a 30-year-old mature student who is currently studying on a Humanities Access course, at a local college. Due to personal circumstances, I left the education system after my A Levels. My life experiences have taken me back to education, as I want to better myself.

I want to apply for HSPS at Cambridge and would be really grateful if someone who has got onto this course, via an Access, could offer me advice on the application procedure.

Or am I being too ambitious in thinking someone like me can go to Cambridge and maybe need to lower my expectations?

Thank you
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions here. I'm 36 and I'm very interested in Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic at Cambridge. I'm presently undertaking a one-year Access to HE (Humanities and Social Science) Diploma course in addition to GCSE Maths. Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances at the time, I did very badly at school (ABBBCDDF) and at A-Level (C). I'm confident that I'll be able to achieve 45 credits at Distinction in Access and intend to use my personal statement to reflect my interest in, and reading around, the subject area - but would my poor childhood performance realistically mean an automatic rejection were I to apply to a mature college as an undergraduate? Would I have any chance at all?

Many thanks in advance!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ak-h
Or am I being too ambitious in thinking someone like me can go to Cambridge and maybe need to lower my expectations?

Original post by Redacted
Would I have any chance at all?

Many thanks in advance!

You would both have a chance. Cambridge is one of the best and most academic universities in the world, and it would be disingenuous of it to accept student who were not able to keep up with a very intensive course. However, they absolutely understand alternative routes into education and that school days aren't always the time that people fully develop their academic ability. Especially the mature Colleges, are very experienced at considering late bloomers and alternative routes.

If you have recent qualifications at the level required for entry, then they won't consider school qualifications, especially if they were many years ago. I've known Access qualified mature students get onto courses, it's quite possible. Your evidence of reading around is probably quite important, to give a strong indication of your interest in the subject, as Access courses tend to be more general and less subject specific (especially for ASNAC!)
Original post by threeportdrift
You would both have a chance.

Thank you for the response, threeportdrift! I know there have been quite a few Access applicants for English who've been successful, and my approaches to admissions have been very encouraging, but there's still a little voice in my head telling me my application would be binned at first glance. Still, if we don't apply, we'll never know. :smile:
Reply 57
Hi I have two questions:

I wanted to apply for Computer Science and did A-levels at a college over the last two years whilst working, I ended up with an A* in Maths and AAA in Biology, Econ and Physics. The standard offer is A*A*A, so I'm wondering if my application would be competitive or not.

I did GCSE and AS-levels over 7 years ago with mediocre grades and I can only locate a few of the certificates, if I applied would I be needed to buy replacements from the exam board?
Reply 58
Original post by Arnaez4
Hi I have two questions:

I wanted to apply for Computer Science and did A-levels at a college over the last two years whilst working, I ended up with an A* in Maths and AAA in Biology, Econ and Physics. The standard offer is A*A*A, so I'm wondering if my application would be competitive or not.

I did GCSE and AS-levels over 7 years ago with mediocre grades and I can only locate a few of the certificates, if I applied would I be needed to buy replacements from the exam board?

I'm not the AT hosting the thread but I'll reply anyway....

Unfortunately, if you are below the typical academic requirements you are unlikely to be considered competitive.

And yes if you apply to any university you will need to have replacement certificates at some point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending