The Student Room Group

Southampton GEM A101 / BM4 Applicants for 2018 Entry

Hello all!

I couldn't find a thread for this so I thought I would start one! Anyone else applying to Southampton for Graduate Entry 2018? Does anyone know what they classically have as their UKCAT cut off? Hope to hear from some of you!

Scroll to see replies

Open day today we were told 725 average
Hey,

I went to the open day on Saturday and both the university and the BM4 course look great. It confirmed my decision to apply to Southampton. UCAS form submitted, now just to wait until we start hearing in November!

Has anyone else decided to apply to the BM4 course?
Original post by Scruffy Jack
Hey,

I went to the open day on Saturday and both the university and the BM4 course look great. It confirmed my decision to apply to Southampton. UCAS form submitted, now just to wait until we start hearing in November!

Has anyone else decided to apply to the BM4 course?

I'm definitely applying! I haven't submitted my UCAS yet (or written my personal statement for that matter...) but 100% applying here! Can you tell me a bit about the Open Day - wish I could have made it!
Original post by medblrintraining
I'm definitely applying! I haven't submitted my UCAS yet (or written my personal statement for that matter...) but 100% applying here! Can you tell me a bit about the Open Day - wish I could have made it!

The campus was really nice and they spoke about investment into a new building for medicine and a new building for cancer research.

The spiral curriculum looks great with early clinical exposure on the BM4. The BM5 has intercalation built into the 5 year programme so you study for 5 years and graduate with a BSc as well as the BMBS, which is a massive plus for that programme. First two years of clinical placements for the BM4 are at Winchester. Very competitive to get onto the BM4 though, so a high UKCAT score is required.

One of the big positives from the day was how friendly and approachable the staff were. They gave me stacks of time to ask all the questions that I had and gave frank and honest answers. I found some other universities that I visited went on the hard sell when talking to prospective students, but the staff at Southampton appeared confident in the quality of their course and their teaching and were great to chat to.

How did you do in the UKCAT?
The campus was really nice and they spoke about investment into a new building for medicine and a new building for cancer research.

The spiral curriculum looks great with early clinical exposure on the BM4. The BM5 has intercalation built into the 5 year programme so you study for 5 years and graduate with a BSc as well as the BMBS, which is a massive plus for that programme. First two years of clinical placements for the BM4 are at Winchester. Very competitive to get onto the BM4 though, so a high UKCAT score is required.

One of the big positives from the day was how friendly and approachable the staff were. They gave me stacks of time to ask all the questions that I had and gave frank and honest answers. I found some other universities that I visited went on the hard sell when talking to prospective students, but the staff at Southampton appeared confident in the quality of their course and their teaching and were great to chat to.

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it! I'm really interested in the early clinical exposure so pleased to hear you thought that seemed good. I got 810 in the UKCAT so I'm fairly confident I'll meet the UKCAT cut-off! How did you do?
Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it! I'm really interested in the early clinical exposure so pleased to hear you thought that seemed good. I got 810 in the UKCAT so I'm fairly confident I'll meet the UKCAT cut-off! How did you do?

750 Band 1, so I'm hoping that will also be good enough for an interview. Fingers crossed for us!
750 Band 1, so I'm hoping that will also be good enough for an interview. Fingers crossed for us!

That absolutely should be! I'm kind of ready to just get the ball rolling now tbh haha
That absolutely should be! I'm kind of ready to just get the ball rolling now tbh haha

I know! UCAS form is in, now just waiting until November when we should start hearing about interviews. Where else are you applying?
I know! UCAS form is in, now just waiting until November when we should start hearing about interviews. Where else are you applying?

I haven't submitted my UCAS yet! I'm applying to Warwick, Newcastle and Nottingham apart from Southampton, how about you?
I haven't submitted my UCAS yet! I'm applying to Warwick, Newcastle and Nottingham apart from Southampton, how about you?

Warwick, and then 5 year courses at Manchester and Kings.
Warwick, and then 5 year courses at Manchester and Kings.

Ahh sweet :smile: I wish I could apply to 5 year courses because of the easier competition but alas I could never afford it!
Ahh sweet :smile: I wish I could apply to 5 year courses because of the easier competition but alas I could never afford it!

Yeah, it's taken some saving to get ready for it. A 4 year course would be awesome as it would obviously be a year less at Uni so one less year without pay and one year earlier into work. But the 5 year options should hopefully provide a backup as the 4 year courses are so competitive to get into.
Yeah, it's taken some saving to get ready for it. A 4 year course would be awesome as it would obviously be a year less at Uni so one less year without pay and one year earlier into work. But the 5 year options should hopefully provide a backup as the 4 year courses are so competitive to get into.

I'll bet! I'm going all in for 4 year courses this year but if I don't get in then I'm gonna have to start re-evaluating things for future application cycles
Reply 15

810! ****ing hell, that's an amazing score well done!
Reply 16
Ahh finally found a thread for BM4...any ideas anyone what the cut off will be? I got 725, don't know if that's good enough or not
Reply 17
Original post by msewell12
Ahh finally found a thread for BM4...any ideas anyone what the cut off will be? I got 725, don't know if that's good enough or not

hard to know, judging on past years you may scrape in (I am applying with 717 haha).
I know on Southampton's BM4 site it states that chemistry a level is needed at grade C but I recently read on the GEM 2018 entry discussion page that Southampton would consider applicants with degrees that included substantial amounts of chem. Does anyone know if this is true? I have *****y a levels but a 2:1 in Pharmacology with 775 ukcat so hoping to apply here
Hey everyone, do you think it’s worth applying to soton with my stats?
Final year biomed
ABC a levels
705 ukcat band 1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending