The Student Room Group

Do i need to do a placement year to go on to do a masters?

Hi,

was just wondering if I was wanting to do a masters, is it necessary/recommended to do a placement year if im wanting to go on to do a masters?

doing a biomed degree and wanting to do a micriobiology/neuroscience or something like that masters
Original post by Cherub123
Hi,

was just wondering if I was wanting to do a masters, is it necessary/recommended to do a placement year if im wanting to go on to do a masters?

doing a biomed degree and wanting to do a micriobiology/neuroscience or something like that masters

Nope but in the field work experience is key so even with a masters you may not get very far without work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Nope but in the field work experience is key so even with a masters you may not get very far without work experience.

so its recommended?

Can i not just get work experience in other ways? like apply myself and stuff just because the thought of a placement year just doesnt sound appealing to me, i may change my mind tbh since im only first year
so its recommended?

Can i not just get work experience in other ways? like apply myself and stuff just because the thought of a placement year just doesnt sound appealing to me, i may change my mind tbh since im only first year

How you get work experience is up to you. The advantages of a placement year are that you will get support with applying from the uni as it is part of your program. Getting work experience in this field is not easy otherwise. The other advantage of a year long placement is that as you will be there for a longer amount of time you can actually do something substantial which is uncommon for shorter placements.
Reply 4
How you get work experience is up to you. The advantages of a placement year are that you will get support with applying from the uni as it is part of your program. Getting work experience in this field is not easy otherwise. The other advantage of a year long placement is that as you will be there for a longer amount of time you can actually do something substantial which is uncommon for shorter placements.

right, well can i make the decision of wanting to do a placement year in my 2nd year? im just taking advantage of your knowledge right now so if you dont know then thanks for the help anyway, ill ask the uni
right, well can i make the decision of wanting to do a placement year in my 2nd year? im just taking advantage of your knowledge right now so if you dont know then thanks for the help anyway, ill ask the uni

The other advantage is that you most likely will get paid :smile:

It depends on the uni. Back when I did my degree you had to decide by the end of your first year or fairly soon into the first term of your second year as you had to start applying in the second half of your second year.
Reply 6
The other advantage is that you most likely will get paid :smile:

It depends on the uni. Back when I did my degree you had to decide by the end of your first year or fairly soon into the first term of your second year as you had to start applying in the second half of your second year.

ah right, guess ill ask the. Did you do a placement year then? How much did it help you?

Also, can you do the work somewhere thats not the city where your university is in? I'd love to work in London
ah right, guess ill ask the. Did you do a placement year then? How much did it help you?

Also, can you do the work somewhere thats not the city where your university is in? I'd love to work in London

Please see my signature. The year cemented my desire to work in research and helped me get a very good idea of what it was like and learn lots of different techniques. The networks were invaluable as well. People get placed all over the country. My uni also offered a year abroad so people went all over the world really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending