The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carpetguy
Just submitted UCAS. No turning back now.
I stuck with St. Catz and my predictions are somehow now D1***

Whoop!

BTW it's just Catz. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
If the DoS at your original college is advising you to apply elsewhere perhaps that's the advice to follow... :wink:

Also, what are you resitting? Cambridge doesn't much like gap year resits except in extenuating circumstances.

Thing is he said, the USUAL advice to candidates who miss their offer and want to reapply to Cambridge is to TRY applying to a different college.
I do feel as though I'm not in the 'usual' circumstance however, in that I did well at interview etc. But didn't get the required grades - which I am working towards.

I would be re-sitting a few exams, which will be a disadvantage to my application, however is necessary, if done well, to get the grades I need... which I hope they will understand.

I just feel a tad destabilised from his comment about 'trying' for another college, I mean wouldn't all colleges look at me the same, only difference with this one is that they know me and have given me the offer before...
Original post by vincrows
There was somebody in this forum a few years ago who was in a very similar situation as yours. They applied to the same college as the first time and didn't get an offer the second time. Their reasoning to do so, against other people's advice, was that the college liked them the first time, so probably they'd like them again. Obviously they didn't.......
Yes, you did get an offer, but you missed it, so the college may feel a bit uneasy giving you an offer again as they might see the last experience as something that proved their judgment was wrong. Many offer-holders who missed the offer actually get in as the college still think they're good enough. It didn't happen to you may mean the way you missed it might have been beyond they could relax the condition. It's probably why the DoS recommended to apply to another college.
It's understandable you're already feel attached to the particular college, but trust me, everyone at Cambridge loves their college even if they were pooled from other college they originally applied to and thought they loved it than any other college.

So don't worry about a choice of college too much. If you're so keen to try Cambridge again, I think the most important thing is to get in the university, rather than at a particular college. If the university's official policy and the DoS's recommendation is to apply to other college, I think it'd be more sensible to follow their advice. They do not have any reason to mislead you deliberately.
Also, Cambridge is not the be all, end all. You must've got offers from other fantastic universities/conservatoires, too. Please don't think it has to be Cambridge.

Thing is he said, the USUAL advice to candidates who miss their offer and want to reapply to Cambridge is to TRY applying to a different college.
I do feel as though I'm not in the 'usual' circumstance however, in that I did well at interview etc. But didn't get the required grades - which I am working towards.

I would be re-sitting a few exams, which I imagine may be a disadvantage to my application, however is necessary, if done well, to get the grades I need... which I hope they will understand.

I just feel a tad destabilised from his comment about 'trying' for another college, I mean wouldn't all colleges look at me the same, only difference with this one is that they know me and have given me the offer before...
Original post by Ayooo

I would be re-sitting a few exams, which will be a disadvantage to my application, however is necessary, if done well, to get the grades I need... which I hope they will understand.

Original post by Ayooo
Thing is he said, ...

You don't need to repeat yourself :smile:

It's entirely your decision if you wish to resit and reapply. You've already been given guidance by your college, and in this forum.

I suspect your DoS was trying to indicate a reapplication in your circumstances is unlikely to be successful no matter which college you apply to.

Please don't put all your eggs in the Cambridge basket.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ayooo

I would be re-sitting a few exams, which I imagine may be a disadvantage to my application, however is necessary, if done well, to get the grades I need... which I hope they will understand.

Look, I think you are 'usual' until they say otherwise. Choose another college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need to repeat yourself :smile:

It's entirely your decision if you wish to resit and reapply. You've already been given guidance by your college, and in this forum.

I suspect your DoS was trying to indicate a reapplication in your circumstances is unlikely to be successful no matter which college you apply to.

Please don't put all your eggs in the Cambridge basket.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely have a re-think about the situation.
I'm certainly not taking a year out for Cambridge, but rather for myself to improve my grades and get into a uni that I like - be it Cambridge or not.

Was just feeling down about the situation and thought it may be worth seeing what others say.

Original post by Ayooo
I'm certainly not taking a year out for Cambridge, but rather for myself to improve my grades and get into a uni that I like - be it Cambridge or not.

That's great - and good luck.

Note that the Music DoS at Homerton went to Southampton for his MMus :wink:

That's interesting, how do you know this?
I feel like I should be inferring something from this information haha
Original post by Ayooo
That's interesting, how do you know this?
I feel like I should be inferring something from this information haha

Google is amazing... :wink:

You should infer that there are other excellent music courses elsewhere. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

does that mean op is a music applicant ... :wink: (good choice of subject :tongue:)
yeah southampton is particularly good with regards to their popular music
Original post by auburnstar
does that mean op is a music applicant ... :wink: (good choice of subject :tongue:)
yeah southampton is particularly good with regards to their popular music

Yep :holmes:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73828896&postcount=2289
When your form tutor finally says that your PS is ok :biggrin:
Original post by ImprobableCacti
When your form tutor finally says that your PS is ok :biggrin:

PRSOM :biggrin:

I gave mine to my English teacher to check yesterday
Original post by JackNott
PRSOM :biggrin:

I gave mine to my English teacher to check yesterday

I'm feeling pretty excited now haha
Original post by Ayooo

Original post by Ayooo
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely have a re-think about the situation.

Was just feeling down about the situation and thought it may be worth seeing what others say.

I really hope you're genuinely persuaded by @Doonesbury enough to change your mind.
Did you really read my post carefully and really understand what I said?

Not sure if DoS was implying you might not be successful at other colleges as well, but it certainly sounds like they were trying to tell you (as kindly as possible) not to re-apply to them.
The way you're looking at the situation and analyzing it really reminds of the re-applicant I mentioned. She also thought she was in a special position, just as you are thinking you are. Believed they'd rather give her an offer again than to new applicants because they knew already she was good enough to get offer last time. She firmly believed they liked last time so they'd like her next time, too. Some of us tried very hard to persuade her not to, but she just didn't listen. Can't quite remember if it was post-interview or she didn't even get interview, but she was rejected. Please do not make a same mistake as hers.
It's also such an awkward position to be in - to be reinterviewed by the same people as last time, who already know that you've failed to make their offer. Just generally being reinterviewed by the same people is something to avoid if you can avoid it.
Finally finished my ps and the reference is done too! So excited!!!

Now I have to think about the saq :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my first PS feedback today! In short, it is good but I just need to add one or two things. I was fearing that it would be pronounced horrific.
Original post by Ayooo

You aren't looking at any other perspective. The opposite of 'the usual advice' is perhaps 'it would be unusual to advise someone to apply to the same college', because it would be unusual. You seem fixed on the fact that this College gave you an offer before, but the same College is the only one that also rejected you when they saw your results.

Your gamble the second time around is 'which College will be prepared to take resits/3 years' worth of exams' and there is no reason to believe your previous College will be particularly welcoming, they certainly weren't when the results came out and they rejected you.
Original post by threeportdrift
You aren't looking at any other perspective. The opposite of 'the usual advice' is perhaps 'it would be unusual to advise someone to apply to the same college', because it would be unusual. You seem fixed on the fact that this College gave you an offer before, but the same College is the only one that also rejected you when they saw your results.

Your gamble the second time around is 'which College will be prepared to take resits/3 years' worth of exams' and there is no reason to believe your previous College will be particularly welcoming, they certainly weren't when the results came out and they rejected you.

^^ Honestly, it's not worth it. There's no academic difference between the colleges - all of them are equally "good". Everyone loves the college they end up at, and ~25% are at a different college than the one they originally applied to.

Latest

Trending

Trending