Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Here it is - the Official Cambridge Applicants 2018!

(I was edited in a owner 6th November 2017 btw, even I wasn't eager enough to make a cambridge thread in 2015)

Feel free to chat here about all things Cambridge; your favourite colleges, subjects you're thinking about applying for and anything and everything else you just want to chat about. This thread is specifically for those who will probably apply for entry in 2018, however those who will apply sooner or later are of course welcome to join in.

Above all, remember to be kind, thoughtful and supportive - it is extremely difficult to get into a place like Cambridge University so please remember this and just be friendly!

Mod edit: Please see ImprobableCacti's Stalking Thread and googlesheet
    >>> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5012928

At the recommendation of NatSci99 and with the support of jamestg, I am editing this post in order to include some helpful information and discussion starters, much like the original post of the 2017 entry thread.

Information about you:
    - Which course(s) are you interested in?
    - Which college(s) are you looking at?
    - What were your GCSE grades?
    - What are your predicted AS/A Level grades? (if/when applicable)
    - What are your extra-curricular interests?
    - A random and fun fact about you!

Useful links:
    Cambridge 2016 thread IV
    University of Cambridge website
    Life of a compsci
    Unistats

Ports of call:
    Peterhouse Admissions
    Christ's Admissions
    LucyCavendish
    Corpus Admissions
    Murray Edwards Admissions

FAQs: (sourced by the very helpful jamestg - thank you!)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Do I need all A*s at GCSE?
    "With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually."
    - University of Cambridge

Do I need 95% UMS average?
    This thread will answer everything.

What are the UMS stats?
    It's from 2014, I'll try and find one that is newer.

How do I choose a college?
    This is a pretty good starting point.

What are the application stats?
    This AMAZING tool helps. Just don't choose a college based on this.

What are the entry requirements?
    A*A*A - all science subjects and economics
    A*AA - all arts subjects and psychology

Do I have to take an entrance exam?
    Take a look here.

Do I have to submit any work?
    College and subject dependent.

What's an SAQ and why do I have to do it?
    It's basically a form where you give extra details, such as UMS marks. It helps Cambridge contextualise your application and gather as much information as possible.

I'm not taking the AS exam, am I at a disadvantage?
    No.

What's an interview like?
    University of Cambridge video
    Jake Wright video (compsci)

When are the open days?
    There are lots to choose from!

Do I need to be head boy/girl, have gone to India and have been captain of the school football team?
    "Admissions decisions at the University are based solely on academic criteria – your ability and your potential."
    - University of Cambridge

Does that mean I shouldn't do anything?
    No. Reading around your subject, summer schools, work experience etc. all help. If they are related to the subject you're applying for, do it.

- Which college(s) are you looking at?
    Christ's
    - What were your GCSE grades?
    4A*s (maths+triple science)
    3As (english, geography)
    1C (french)

- What are your predicted AS/A Level grades? (if/when applicable)
    3A*s (fm, physics and chemistry) with an A* in maths already achieved +4As at as level(maths, physics, chemistry, English lit)

- What are your extra-curricular interests?
    Anime, D&D, prog rock.

- A random and fun fact about you!
    I love actually love honey.

Get chatting and enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    So there's really no one out there who'll be applying for entry in 2018?

I appreciate it's quite early, but there's no harm in being prepared

ReputationRep:
    Hey there! I'll hopefully be applying for 2018 entry (economics). But firstly since I go to school in Sweden and because of taking a year abroad next year, I'll be two years older than most others I guess...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Banana00)
    So there's really no one out there who'll be applying for entry in 2018?

I appreciate it's quite early, but there's no harm in being prepared
    It's pretty early tbh and there isn't really much you can talk about that's worth making a thread for :no:
    At least not yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    It's pretty early tbh and there isn't really much you can talk about that's worth making a thread for :no:
    At least not yet.
    I understand that to some it's very early to be preparing, but when it comes to Cambridge, in my mind it's not too early.

However, if some feel that it is too early to begin preparations, that's fine by me and we'll just leave this thread to be picked up again in a couple of years' time
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I understand that to some it's very early to be preparing, but when it comes to Cambridge, in my mind it's not too early.

However, if some feel that it is too early to begin preparations, that's fine by me and we'll just leave this thread to be picked up again in a couple of years' time
    Well if you do get more people talking here that's great, all I'm saying is that I'd wait a while :yep:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This really is too soon! Don't put unnescessary pressure or stress on yourselves. Most applicants don't even think about Cambridge until after getting their GCSE results...

But you could stalk this thread (2017 hopefulls) -
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3164815

Also, please be aware of Cambridge admissions myths and misinformation. Check the Admission Tutor (AT) threads for the facts rather than TSRwarriors making things up or guessing.

And most importantly, enjoy the summer and then work hard at school

:party::party:

ReputationRep:
    I know this is super super early but really this is the time many of you will be thinking about career paths and wanting to go to Oxbridge in the process. I hope this forum will help you in discussing ideas about how to get ahead of the crowd and make you as an applicant for your interview and PE in a few years time.

Please first post i the current format.
    GCSE PREDICTIONS : FOR ME 12 A*S
    ACTUAL GRADES: NOT KNOWN YET
    A-LEVEL SUBJECTS: NOT KNOWN YET
    SUBJECT INTERESTED IN PURSUING: ECONOMICS

Here are some useful links:

Researching Course Statistics - http://www.unistats.com/Institutions...tionsCambridge Website - http://www.cam.ac.ukChoosing A-levels - http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

I also have that extra-curricular activities don't matter when applying to Oxbridge to please focus on super-curricular

thanks and GOOD LUCK!!!

ReputationRep:
    This thread was here first... but still too early:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3528165

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    I guess we could try and pick this thread up! I'd most likely be applying to Oxford for physics instead, though I may switch to Cambridge for Natural Sciences or Maths and Physics . If I do choose Cambridge, I'll apply to Trinity College, because it looks nice and Isaac Newton went there!

GCSE predicted grades: 8A*s 2As 2Bs
    A level options: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

Good luck to everyone!
    Hi there!

It would be nice to pick this thread up because it may be quite early for some but some of us are interested in applying!

My GCSE predicted grades are a mixture of As and A*s.
    My A Level options are History, French, Latin and Politics.

I will apply to Emmanuel College, Cambridge - probably for History.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

It would be nice to pick this thread up because it may be quite early for some but some of us are interested in applying!

My GCSE predicted grades are a mixture of As and A*s.
    My A Level options are History, French, Latin and Politics.

I will apply to Emmanuel College, Cambridge - probably for History.
    For me it's the perfect time as it serves as the best motivation for getting great GCSEs. Let's hope more people join in!

ReputationRep:
    attempting to revive thread - Cambridge is also my goal for 2018 but I'd probably also apply to places like Imperial or UCL.

Predicted another boring amount of grades for GCSE but my current final personal predictions are 10 A* 2 A.

For A Level my final choices are: (doing all for both years)
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Spanish

Ideally I'd be applying to St John's College (currently my favourite) for Engineering, probably to continue to do Civil engineering after the 3rd year but with the breadth of the first two years of the course that could easily change.

I'm also really early but with changing to a new sixth form I'm pretty excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wobuaini)
    attempting to revive thread - Cambridge is also my goal for 2018 but I'd probably also apply to places like Imperial or UCL.

Predicted another boring amount of grades for GCSE but my current final personal predictions are 10 A* 2 A.

For A Level my final choices are: (doing all for both years)
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Spanish

Ideally I'd be applying to St John's College (currently my favourite) for Engineering, probably to continue to do Civil engineering after the 3rd year but with the breadth of the first two years of the course that could easily change.

I'm also really early but with changing to a new sixth form I'm pretty excited!
    It's nice to hear that someone else on TSR is considering Cambridge this 'early'! I'm also getting very excited for Sixth Form as I'll be doing subjects I love as opposed to a whole load of things I'm not overly bothered about (GCSE subjects). I mentioned it earlier in the thread so you probably know already, but my A Level choices are History, Politics, French and Latin.

Good luck! Hopefully more people will begin to join this thread as we get towards the beginning of Sixth Form.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm already thinking and planning about (hopefully!) going to Cambridge - hopefully PBS but I'm not sure what college yet.

I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History for A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    Edit : Reposted a newer update later on

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you lot are keen. :lol: I didn't even think about Cambridge till 2 months before the application deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Banana et al - I'm a mature student hoping to get the results to apply to Cambridge in 2018. I'm going to study Architecture and will most probably apply to Kings college. I lived in Cambridge for a few years, a few years back in the day. I had room mates who went to Cambridge university and knew a few of the fellows there, so any questions about Cambridge in general fire away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Hi Banana et al - I'm a mature student hoping to get the results to apply to Cambridge in 2018. I'm going to study Architecture and will most probably apply to Kings college. I lived in Cambridge for a few years, a few years back in the day. I had room mates who went to Cambridge university and knew a few of the fellows there, so any questions about Cambridge in general fire away!
    Thanks for this - any contributions are most welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Wow, you lot are keen. :lol: I didn't even think about Cambridge till 2 months before the application deadline.
    PRSOM
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Student403)
    PRSOM
    The 2016 hopefulls started their mammoth series of threads in June 2014, so yeah this is early

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.