The Student Room Group

The Official 2018 Cambridge Applicants Thread

Important! If you have any questions about Decision Day have a look at the FAQ here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5133946

And please add your own Cambridge Decision here (offers and rejections):
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5125600

OFFICIAL CUSU Offer Holders page on Facebook. HT @asox for finding it :smile:
College JCRs will also be launching their own pages in due course. Do not join any other copycat pages, they will just spam you... links to unofficial pages will be removed.

-----

Here it is - the Official Cambridge Applicants 2018!

(I was edited in a owner 6th November 2017 btw, even I wasn't eager enough to make a cambridge thread in 2015)

Feel free to chat here about all things Cambridge; your favourite colleges, subjects you're thinking about applying for and anything and everything else you just want to chat about. This thread is specifically for those who will probably apply for entry in 2018, however those who will apply sooner or later are of course welcome to join in.

Above all, remember to be kind, thoughtful and supportive - it is extremely difficult to get into a place like Cambridge University so please remember this and just be friendly!

Mod edit: Please see @ImprobableCacti's Stalking Thread and googlesheet :smile:
>>> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5012928

At the recommendation of @NatSci99 and with the support of @jamestg, I am editing this post in order to include some helpful information and discussion starters, much like the original post of the 2017 entry thread.

Information about you:
- Which course(s) are you interested in?
- Which college(s) are you looking at?
- What were your GCSE grades?
- What are your predicted AS/A Level grades? (if/when applicable)
- What are your extra-curricular interests?
- A random and fun fact about you!

Useful links:
Cambridge 2016 thread IV
University of Cambridge website
Life of a compsci
Unistats

Ports of call:
Peterhouse Admissions
Christ's Admissions
LucyCavendish
Corpus Admissions
Murray Edwards Admissions

FAQs: (sourced by the very helpful @jamestg - thank you!)

Spoiler

- Which college(s) are you looking at?
Christ's
- What were your GCSE grades?
4A*s (maths+triple science)
3As (english, geography)
1C (french)

- What are your predicted AS/A Level grades? (if/when applicable)
3A*s (fm, physics and chemistry) with an A* in maths already achieved +4As at as level(maths, physics, chemistry, English lit)

- What are your extra-curricular interests?
Anime, D&D, prog rock.

- A random and fun fact about you!
I love actually love honey.

Get chatting and enjoy!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So there's really no one out there who'll be applying for entry in 2018?

I appreciate it's quite early, but there's no harm in being prepared :smile:
Hey there! :smile: I'll hopefully be applying for 2018 entry (economics). But firstly since I go to school in Sweden and because of taking a year abroad next year, I'll be two years older than most others I guess...
Original post by Mr...
It's pretty early tbh and there isn't really much you can talk about that's worth making a thread for :no:
At least not yet.

I understand that to some it's very early to be preparing, but when it comes to Cambridge, in my mind it's not too early.

However, if some feel that it is too early to begin preparations, that's fine by me and we'll just leave this thread to be picked up again in a couple of years' time :smile:
Reply 4
This really is too soon! Don't put unnescessary pressure or stress on yourselves. Most applicants don't even think about Cambridge until after getting their GCSE results...

But you could stalk this thread (2017 hopefulls) -
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3164815

Also, please be aware of Cambridge admissions myths and misinformation. Check the Admission Tutor (AT) threads for the facts rather than TSRwarriors making things up or guessing.

And most importantly, enjoy the summer and then work hard at school :wink:

:party::party:
(edited 8 years ago)
This thread was here first... but still too early:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165
Original post by kennethdcharles
I guess we could try and pick this thread up! I'd most likely be applying to Oxford for physics instead, though I may switch to Cambridge for Natural Sciences or Maths and Physics :colondollar:. If I do choose Cambridge, I'll apply to Trinity College, because it looks nice and Isaac Newton went there!

GCSE predicted grades: 8A*s 2As 2Bs
A level options: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi there!

It would be nice to pick this thread up because it may be quite early for some but some of us are interested in applying!

My GCSE predicted grades are a mixture of As and A*s.
My A Level options are History, French, Latin and Politics.

I will apply to Emmanuel College, Cambridge - probably for History.:h:
Reply 7
Original post by Banana00
Hi there!

It would be nice to pick this thread up because it may be quite early for some but some of us are interested in applying!

My GCSE predicted grades are a mixture of As and A*s.
My A Level options are History, French, Latin and Politics.

I will apply to Emmanuel College, Cambridge - probably for History.:h:

For me it's the perfect time as it serves as the best motivation for getting great GCSEs. Let's hope more people join in!
attempting to revive thread - Cambridge is also my goal for 2018 but I'd probably also apply to places like Imperial or UCL.

Predicted another boring amount of grades for GCSE but my current final personal predictions are 10 A* 2 A.

For A Level my final choices are: (doing all for both years)
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Spanish

Ideally I'd be applying to St John's College (currently my favourite) for Engineering, probably to continue to do Civil engineering after the 3rd year but with the breadth of the first two years of the course that could easily change.

I'm also really early but with changing to a new sixth form I'm pretty excited!
Original post by wobuaini
attempting to revive thread - Cambridge is also my goal for 2018 but I'd probably also apply to places like Imperial or UCL.

Predicted another boring amount of grades for GCSE but my current final personal predictions are 10 A* 2 A.

For A Level my final choices are: (doing all for both years)
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Spanish

Ideally I'd be applying to St John's College (currently my favourite) for Engineering, probably to continue to do Civil engineering after the 3rd year but with the breadth of the first two years of the course that could easily change.

I'm also really early but with changing to a new sixth form I'm pretty excited!

It's nice to hear that someone else on TSR is considering Cambridge this 'early'! I'm also getting very excited for Sixth Form as I'll be doing subjects I love as opposed to a whole load of things I'm not overly bothered about (GCSE subjects). I mentioned it earlier in the thread so you probably know already, but my A Level choices are History, Politics, French and Latin.

Good luck! Hopefully more people will begin to join this thread as we get towards the beginning of Sixth Form.
Hi!

I'm already thinking and planning about (hopefully!) going to Cambridge - hopefully PBS but I'm not sure what college yet.

I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History for A-Level.
Edit : Reposted a newer update later on
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Wow, you lot are keen. :lol: I didn't even think about Cambridge till 2 months before the application deadline. :tongue:
Reply 13
Hi Banana et al - I'm a mature student hoping to get the results to apply to Cambridge in 2018. I'm going to study Architecture and will most probably apply to Kings college. I lived in Cambridge for a few years, a few years back in the day. I had room mates who went to Cambridge university and knew a few of the fellows there, so any questions about Cambridge in general fire away!
Original post by Thomb
Hi Banana et al - I'm a mature student hoping to get the results to apply to Cambridge in 2018. I'm going to study Architecture and will most probably apply to Kings college. I lived in Cambridge for a few years, a few years back in the day. I had room mates who went to Cambridge university and knew a few of the fellows there, so any questions about Cambridge in general fire away!

Thanks for this - any contributions are most welcome! :h::h:
Original post by Zacken
Wow, you lot are keen. :lol: I didn't even think about Cambridge till 2 months before the application deadline. :tongue:

PRSOM
Reply 16
Original post by Student403
PRSOM

The 2016 hopefulls started their mammoth series of threads in June 2014, so yeah this is early :smile:
Reply 17
Early bird :worm2:
My GCSE predicitions are 2A*s, 6As and 2Bs
I'm hoping to get 4-6A*s as my grades have improved in English, History and Ethics.
my dream would be to go to Trinity/St. John's College to study Spanish and Russian.... For everyone who is doing their GCSEs next week good luck!!!
For my A levels I am doing French Spanish and History. Do you think my grades will be good enough for Cambridge? Or, failing that, Oxford?
Original post by jneill
The 2016 hopefulls started their mammoth series of threads in June 2014, so yeah this is early :smile:

I think a couple of months after that was when I thought about my US applications. They really take about a year to prepare for :frown:

Latest