The Student Room Group

Law advice and general university advice please help!!!!!

Will my first class honours in law from London Southbank University be taken seriously???
Reply 1
xx
Will my first class honours in law from London Southbank University be taken seriously???

Taken seriously by who? Are you planning to become a solicitor? If so, what kind of firms are hoping to apply to? What other experience do you have, e.g. vacation schemes, work experience, university societies?
Original post by EmSmQs
Taken seriously by who? Are you planning to become a solicitor? If so, what kind of firms are hoping to apply to? What other experience do you have, e.g. vacation schemes, work experience, university societies?

Just by everyone in general. I have plenty of experience but I'm just so worried
Reply 3
xx
Just by everyone in general. I have plenty of experience but I'm just so worried

That's too broad a question to answer meaningfully. What does it matter what random people think?
Original post by EmSmQs
That's too broad a question to answer meaningfully. What does it matter what random people think?

So I want to become a barrister and on top of a first class honours in law I want to do a masters at a more prestigious university. I have the relevant experience, I'm just wondering when I apply for jobs the fact that my degree is from Southbank will be a setback. I am unsure whether it is the case that I am not acknowledged because a degree from Southbank is not validated. Generally, I am not worried what people think and I had extenuating circumstances affecting my a levels hence why I went to Southbank. Getting a first in law is definitely not a walk in the park but I am worried whether employers will cast my cv aside because I went to Southbank.
In my experience, the route to becoming a Barrister particularly in London is one of the most difficult careers ever. If you want to work as a Barrister in London, it might be a good idea to demonstrate you can do well at a more reputed University - perhaps try for the BCL or Cambridge LLB. Otherwise you would need to show your dedication and ability through experience, perhaps in a lesser legal capacity or otherwise. Definitely do apply for internships.
Original post by James1997c
In my experience, the route to becoming a Barrister particularly in London is one of the most difficult careers ever. If you want to work as a Barrister in London, it might be a good idea to demonstrate you can do well at a more reputed University - perhaps try for the BCL or Cambridge LLB. Otherwise you would need to show your dedication and ability through experience, perhaps in a lesser legal capacity or otherwise. Definitely do apply for internships.
yes I am definitely applying for the Cambridge LLM, the perks of studying in London is that it is superb for contacts and gaining experience. Socially, Southbank is appalling for student life and most of the students are very mature so I'm also very isolated and unhappy. I'm keen on my career and thinking whether I should a) take a year out, boost my grades and taking respect of my extenuating circumstances apply to a Russell group or b) stick at it, take advantage of being the smartest in the class and aim for 90% then do the Cambridge LLM. Obviously with the appropriate experience. What do you suggest?
xx
yes I am definitely applying for the Cambridge LLM, the perks of studying in London is that it is superb for contacts and gaining experience. Socially, Southbank is appalling for student life and most of the students are very mature so I'm also very isolated and unhappy. I'm keen on my career and thinking whether I should a) take a year out, boost my grades and taking respect of my extenuating circumstances apply to a Russell group or b) stick at it, take advantage of being the smartest in the class and aim for 90% then do the Cambridge LLM. Obviously with the appropriate experience. What do you suggest?

Phone their admissions and gain they're advice. I'm sure if you're eager enough, they'd put you through to an undergrad adviser. The problem with being a Barrister is that as I said, London - you're competing against those with first class degrees from top universities. 90% is still a great achievement. If you have the time and money you could apply to do a subject at an RG, otherwise it seems like you know what you're doing.
Phone their admissions and gain they're advice. I'm sure if you're eager enough, they'd put you through to an undergrad adviser. The problem with being a Barrister is that as I said, London - you're competing against those with first class degrees from top universities. 90% is still a great achievement. If you have the time and money you could apply to do a subject at an RG, otherwise it seems like you know what you're doing.

Yeah I agree with you. I've wanted to be a barrister since I was 11 and it's such a horrible shame that I have been set so dramatically back from my career by something that's not my fault and what's worse is everywhere I go I have to take the blame for it. I'm still persistent and wil definitely push for that Cambridge postgraduate. So you suggest I should defer and apply to a RG? I'm not trying to sound helpless it's just nice to have somebody eleses opinion on a matter so that I can assess the situation and reach the best decision.
xx)
Yeah I agree with you. I've wanted to be a barrister since I was 11 and it's such a horrible shame that I have been set so dramatically back from my career by something that's not my fault and what's worse is everywhere I go I have to take the blame for it. I'm still persistent and wil definitely push for that Cambridge postgraduate. So you suggest I should defer and apply to a RG? I'm not trying to sound helpless it's just nice to have somebody eleses opinion on a matter so that I can assess the situation and reach the best decision.

Not at all, I'm glad to help but don't rely solely on my advice, try and speak to an adviser at your school who has significant experience dealing with these issues.

Have a look through Chambers' websites at the Barristers and where they studies. The category of law is important because you'll find that it's easier to practice constitutional/family law then it is to practice Commercial law. I've seen many Barristers who have achieved a modest 2.1 from a good RG University (like Birmingham, not Oxford) but have secured a place in a London Chamber.

There's also a free Pupilage fair in October (I think) I'd recommend you attend. It's free and more information is available on the internet. Definitely try and build a network.
Not at all, I'm glad to help but don't rely solely on my advice, try and speak to an adviser at your school who has significant experience dealing with these issues.

Have a look through Chambers' websites at the Barristers and where they studies. The category of law is important because you'll find that it's easier to practice constitutional/family law then it is to practice Commercial law. I've seen many Barristers who have achieved a modest 2.1 from a good RG University (like Birmingham, not Oxford) but have secured a place in a London Chamber.

There's also a free Pupilage fair in October (I think) I'd recommend you attend. It's free and more information is available on the internet. Definitely try and build a network.

Criminal and family. Constitutional is highly prestigious.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.

I stand corrected.

The commercial bar is so prestigious and oversubscribed. In fact it's that tough to get in they don't care whether you have a first but whether it is 85% and over from a top five university, not just Russell. You would expect that at a place that pays £50k for a six month internship. I couldn't agree with you more there. Is this the area of law you are looking into to? This was the area I wanted to go into but I can accept the harsh truth, I will still take your advice and inthis coming year make my enquiries and contacts.
xx

If you think you stand a chance of getting into a better course, then go for it.

The issue I have with LSU is not the brand name. A very good grade from there will redeem the name. It is the educational opportunities. The lower-ranked unis tend to have solicitors/barristers teaching. As in, they don't do any research and only teach. Practical insight is valuable to an extent, but I can tell you from experience the people who are wrestling with the academic arguments and successfully having their arguments heard at the highest levels, such as being quoted by the Supreme Court, give you a much firmer insight into the basic principles. Far more than a teacher lawyer can.

Also when you come to writing your essay for your LLM apps, you will have a lot more to say if you are more academically engaged owing to your uni having a more academic-y academic community. That being said, LSU has some very good academics; just not as many as other places.

xx
The commercial bar is so prestigious and oversubscribed. In fact it's that tough to get in they don't care whether you have a first but whether it is 85% and over from a top five university, not just Russell. You would expect that at a place that pays £50k for a six month internship. I couldn't agree with you more there. Is this the area of law you are looking into to? This was the area I wanted to go into but I can accept the harsh truth, I will still take your advice and inthis coming year make my enquiries and contacts.

Well, 85% does not really happen all that often for law. Outside of the socio-legal/philosophical topics. There are people, if you look at the top commercial sets, from well outside the top 20. They performed very well on their undergrad, PG, and BPTC.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you think you stand a chance of getting into a better course, then go for it.

The issue I have with LSU is not the brand name. A very good grade from there will redeem the name. It is the educational opportunities. The lower-ranked unis tend to have solicitors/barristers teaching. As in, they don't do any research and only teach. Practical insight is valuable to an extent, but I can tell you from experience the people who are wrestling with the academic arguments and successfully having their arguments heard at the highest levels, such as being quoted by the Supreme Court, give you a much firmer insight into the basic principles. Far more than a teacher lawyer can.

Also when you come to writing your essay for your LLM apps, you will have a lot more to say if you are more academically engaged owing to your uni having a more academic-y academic community. That being said, LSU has some very good academics; just not as many as other places.

Well, 85% does not really happen all that often for law. Outside of the socio-legal/philosophical topics. There are people, if you look at the top commercial sets, from well outside the top 20. They performed very well on their undergrad, PG, and BPTC.

I agree with you, despite its status the teaching is very in depth and informative- I was really taken aback from the lectures. Could you explain what you meant by "academic-y academic community " haha sorry I just didn't get that.
xx
I agree with you, despite its status the teaching is very in depth and informative- I was really taken aback from the lectures. Could you explain what you meant by "academic-y academic community " haha sorry I just didn't get that.

An academic community made up of academics, i.e. those who research, rather than lawyers who teach.
An academic community made up of academics, i.e. those who research, rather than lawyers who teach.

Aaah yes, I fully understand. Hmm I'll have to enquire on that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending