The Student Room Group

A*A*A*A - How can I help you?

Got a* in bio, chem and maths, a in philosophy. Really bored and saw a similar thread so thought i might start one. You can post questions and I'll try my best to answer 😊😊

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know I'm doing a different set of a levels but how did you get through the 2 years in terms of attitude , revision techniques etc.( Espicially maths)
Btw im doing maths physics F.maths
Thanks in advance
Reply 2
Hey how did you use past papers effectively and how do you get better at past paper questions and whats your revision technique to remember loads of information ???
Reply 3
As well as learning new content for A2, how did you manage to keep on top of your AS revision for chem and bio?

What exam boards were you for bio and chem?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
How did you revise maths biology and chemistry (as I'm doing those)?
I am doing Chemistry,Biology and Maths.

Any advice on how to ace the subjects like you did, like revision methods?
How many hours of independent studying did you put in each week from the beginning of the year, and how much in exam season?
Reply 7
How can you help me? Send money or food plz
Original post by HeadHoncho
Got a* in bio, chem and maths, a in philosophy. Really bored and saw a similar thread so thought i might start one. You can post questions and I'll try my best to answer 😊😊

I got a C in my AS exam despite studying SO hard and finding the exam easy. They made the grade boundaries really high and now I'm worried because I need an A for the Uni I want to go to but don't know how to get there. Tips on how to study????
Reply 9
Original post by MoAmine
I know I'm doing a different set of a levels but how did you get through the 2 years in terms of attitude , revision techniques etc.( Espicially maths)
Btw im doing maths physics F.maths
Thanks in advance

I was super lazy first year because i found maths and chemistry really straightforward so only did proper work for philosophy and bio. But in year 2 I definitely was more willing to spend that extra hour to fully consolidate topics etc. I used the be focused app to revise for 30 mins then have a 10 min break, and tbh you can get so much done in 30 mins when you really focus, i was astonished. For maths past papers are great, and for some of the questions where you have to apply techniques more creatively, read examiners reports for such questions as they may give and example of an individuals excellent answer. Good luck!
I was super lazy first year because i found maths and chemistry really straightforward so only did proper work for philosophy and bio. But in year 2 I definitely was more willing to spend that extra hour to fully consolidate topics etc. I used the be focused app to revise for 30 mins then have a 10 min break, and tbh you can get so much done in 30 mins when you really focus, i was astonished. For maths past papers are great, and for some of the questions where you have to apply techniques more creatively, read examiners reports for such questions as they may give and example of an individuals excellent answer. Good luck!

When going into Year 12, how confident were you in Maths?
basically all the questions above ^
how long do u study?
what's your revision technique and how do i find mine?
To university, or not to university?
PLZ PLZ tell me why I revise so hard (taking maths, biology and chemistry) and do badly in mini tests???
What is effective revision for these three subjects, someone tell me.
Thanks
Original post by mda2
Hey how did you use past papers effectively and how do you get better at past paper questions and whats your revision technique to remember loads of information ???

I made a spreadsheet of the past papers i did (and used conditional formatting so the cells turn red yellow or green depending on the ums percentage i attained). I started doing AS old spec past papers from january of year 13 to consolidate year 1 knowledge, then from end of march i started A2 papers . After every paper i marked it quickly and noted questions i got wrong, then looked at all the marking points for those questions and then read the examiners report. If i still didnt understand id look at my revision guide or book, if not still id consult a teacher but that didnt happen. Revision is different for each subject, for maths and chem i got away with just past papers, but for bio i just read the revision guide, and read around the subject, i feel understanding something means i wont forget it easily
Reply 15
I’m doing Biology and Chemistry and I’m aiming for A*s.

How many hours a week did you spend outside class studying/revising?
What methods did you use to study/revise?
What resources did you use to study/revise?
Original post by mali473
As well as learning new content for A2, how did you manage to keep on top of your AS revision for chem and bio?

What exam boards were you for bio and chem?

Past papers really for me. But before i started to sit the exams i fully went through each point on the spec for bio and checked if i understood it, if not fully then id refresh my mind by lookingg at the topic in my revision guide
Reply 17
I made a spreadsheet of the past papers i did (and used conditional formatting so the cells turn red yellow or green depending on the ums percentage i attained). I started doing AS old spec past papers from january of year 13 to consolidate year 1 knowledge, then from end of march i started A2 papers . After every paper i marked it quickly and noted questions i got wrong, then looked at all the marking points for those questions and then read the examiners report. If i still didnt understand id look at my revision guide or book, if not still id consult a teacher but that didnt happen. Revision is different for each subject, for maths and chem i got away with just past papers, but for bio i just read the revision guide, and read around the subject, i feel understanding something means i wont forget it easily

A lot of people say memorising mark schemes for bio would you recommend this or is it better to understand what the questions is asking?
Original post by 12345John12345
How did you revise maths biology and chemistry (as I'm doing those)?

Maths and chem i used mainly past papers, and for chem i did the chemistry olympiad which may have helped not really sure

Could you please give me some advice for getting an A in Biology? I'm struggling with subject so much... it's mainly applying my knowledge to exam questions. Does this skill just come with practice?

Quick Reply

Latest