The Student Room Group

A level Required Practicals

I have just started my A-levels and in Biology and Physics there are these required assessed practicals we have to complete. My old high school gave us little preparation regarding practicals and I'm just a clumsy person in general. I'm struggling to get through one assessed practical without doing something wrong, I've already smashed beakers and test tubes as well as forgetting to put goggles on. I was just wondering does anyone know how much these practicals affect our grade (if they do at all) and how hard it is to pass the practical endorsement?
Physics A for AQA practicals contribute to 20% of the overall grade. How many assessed practicals have you done so far?
(edited 6 years ago)
For biology, it doesn’t actually affect your grade, that’s solely based on exams. However if you don’t pass (probably harder to fail than pass) then for the majority of Unis your exam grade won’t matter, you’ve basically failed in their eyes. So you can get an A* and fail but it would mean nothing
Reply 3
Original post by Vikingninja
Physics A for AQA practicals contribute to 20% of the overall grade. How many assessed practicals have you done so far?

Oh, I've done one so far.
Reply 4
Original post by HeadHoncho
For biology, it doesn’t actually affect your grade, that’s solely based on exams. However if you don’t pass (probably harder to fail than pass) then for the majority of Unis your exam grade won’t matter, you’ve basically failed in their eyes. So you can get an A* and fail but it would mean nothing

So not many people fail then? I think that's a bit harsh of Unis though.
Original post by laclare
So not many people fail then? I think that's a bit harsh of Unis though.

In my year, even people who broke something every practical passed. Not really harsh, science isn’t solely theory, practicals and experiments are a massive part so if you can’t do practicals well you’re not really a competent scientist
Reply 6
Original post by HeadHoncho
In my year, even people who broke something every practical passed. Not really harsh, science isn’t solely theory, practicals and experiments are a massive part so if you can’t do practicals well you’re not really a competent scientist

but does that not depend on teacher
Original post by nk02
but does that not depend on teacher

If you’re actually an idiot maybe, but it’s only a level, teachers know stuff happens.

Quick Reply

Latest