The Student Room Group

I think i have varicocele do i stop masturbating?

yesterday i finished i suddenly found out that the veins on my left side of my scrotum are bigger than the right. I searched it and its called varicocele it has been linked with infertility and unnormal sperm as the testicle heats up alot...

I SAW THAT ITS REALLY COMMON AND 1 in 5 OF 15-27 YEAR OLDS HAS IT
I do masturbate quite alot(i mean alot)...two times daily the majority of the time...

do you think it'll go if i stop masturbating?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by doc1000
yesterday i finished i suddenly found out that the veins on my left side of my scrotum are bigger than the right. I searched it and its called varicocele it has been linked with infertility and unnormal sperm as the testicle heats up alot...

I do masturbate quite alot(i mean alot)...two times daily the majority of the time...

I googled it and I found an article that said masturbation was a cause of varicocele. It can also be caused from tight clothing. What happens is that the varicoceles (the large veins you see) raise the temperature of the testicles, affecting your sperm production. And your scrotum is very particular about temperature, which is why it hangs out of the body to be kept cooler.

So buddy, if you want kids in the future, keep your hands out of your pants. Also, wear loose clothing. There's a possibility it will go away by itself if you let your body heal it. But if you keep masturbating it will get worse and you will need treatment; surgery to remove the veins.
Reply 2
Original post by Tinnie00
I googled it and I found an article that said masturbation was a cause of varicocele. It can also be caused from tight clothing. What happens is that the varicoceles (the large veins you see) raise the temperature of the testicles, affecting your sperm production. And your scrotum is very particular about temperature, which is why it hangs out of the body to be kept cooler.

So buddy, if you want kids in the future, keep your hands out of your pants. Also, wear loose clothing. There's a possibility it will go away by itself if you let your body heal it. But if you keep masturbating it will get worse and you will need treatment; surgery to remove the veins.

thanks alot, ill be restraining now!

i feel like going to the doctors but telling parents/telling the doctor thats waay embarrasing
Reply 3
Original post by doc1000

i feel like going to the doctors but telling parents/telling the doctor thats waay embarrasing

They have seen it all before. I would strongly suggest you go to the doctors. It may be more severe than you think.
Reply 4
Original post by doc1000

Original post by Tinnie00

Shut up mate, you haven't got a clue what you're on about! Googling "varicocele" does not instantly make you an expert. Once you have a varicocele, you have a varicocele, it's not going to go away if you stop masturbating. In the same way varicous veins in your legs do not just go away if you stop walking....Please don't give out medical advice that you are not qualified to give. Thank you.

If you want to get rid of your varicocele you're going to need interventional raidiology using catheter embolisation or surgical ligation. Doctors only tend to recommend this if you have pain or fertility problems. They also reccommend that you actually wear TIGHT fitting underwear and not boxers as they support the varicocele and prevent the pooling of blood in the veins. As for masturbating, i've never seen ANY peer reviewed evidence that supports the claim that masturbating is in ANY way connected to the development of a varicocele.

In short, if you're not medically trained, refrain from giving medical advice....you can do more damage than good. If the OP is worried, they should visit their GP to get a diagnosis and discuss potential options.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CRW1996
They have seen it all before. I would strongly suggest you go to the doctors. It may be more severe than you think.

hi there, how do you suggest that I tell this issuet o doctor and parents
Reply 6
Original post by Kartace
Shut up mate, you haven't got a clue what you're on about! Googling "varicocele" does not instantly make you an expert. Once you have a varicocele, you have a varicocele, it's not going to go away if you stop masturbating. In the same way varicous veins in your legs do not just go away if you stop walking....Please don't give out medical advice that you are not qualified to give. Thank you.

If you want to get rid of your varicocele you're going to need interventional raidiology using catheter embolisation or surgical ligation. Doctors only tend to recommend this if you have pain or fertility problems. They also reccommend that you actually wear TIGHT fitting underwear and not boxers as they support the varicocele and prevent the pooling of blood in the veins. As for masturbating, i've never seen ANY peer reviewed evidence that supports the claim that masturbating is in ANY way connected to the development of a varicocele.

In short, if you're not medically trained, refrain from giving medical advice....you can do more damage than good. If the OP is worried, they should visit their GP to get a diagnosis and discuss potential options.

hello, thank you... what do you suggest that i do now? tell parents?
Reply 7
Original post by doc1000
hello, thank you... what do you suggest that i do now? tell parents?

It depends how old you are? If you think you should tell them then go for it. But you can also just make an appointment at your GP by yourself. I would suggest mentioning it to your parents though, a problem shared is a problem halved :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by doc1000

hey no problem! I just took a look at one article though lol I'm no doctor. And don't be shy to tell your parents. It could be something more serious. Tell your dad you'd like to visit the doctor because you spotted something strange you think a professional should take a look at. It should be less awkward since he's male and can relate. Good luck! X :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Kartace

I didn't say I was an expert. And there was absolutely no reason for you to speak to me like that. We're all just trying to help so lose your attitude and get some manners. You're no expert yourself and I'm only offering what I found out. Ugh. People like you are just something else. Try to be more polite. It wouldn't have killed you to approach the situation in a nicer manner,
I've had it since I was 15 and it has never bothered me or stopped me going at it like a demented chimp. It has never given me any trouble, very rare for it to even ache these days.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by doc1000
hi there, how do you suggest that I tell this issuet o doctor and parents

You don't need to tell your parents, if you want to tell them just say you have a private issue so could you book a doctors appointment. As for telling the Doctor just straight up say what the problem is. He's seen much worse so there is no need to worry.
How much bigger is 'bigger'? If one in five has it, it really can not be that serious in terms of fertility or anything else in most cases.

See the GP or go to a sexual health clinic.
It has nothing to do with masturbation.

I had them in my left testicle when I was ~15 and had surgery to correct it.

Go and see your GP.

Wash your cock and balls before you go.

Blame small penis on current cold weather.
Do you masturbate while taking shower/ bath? and do you also wash your genitals (the penis and scrotum) after masturbating? If you did so, I guess it was the root cause why it was developed. I have varicocele now and probably due to these practices I asked you. :frown: It was so sad that I learned this idea but it's too late already. :frown:
I had mine embolized. The varicocele was a grade 3 and was really painful. I was sick of suffering with it. The embolization is really simple they don’t even put you to sleep.
I usually masturbate a lot like 4times a day daily near about 3 year n now in my left testical is smaller than right one so it is varicocele n i feel something sensation of pain in testical??? Tell me solution??
how old are you because I have the same problem and I am 14
Reply 18
i was just diagnosed with this earlier, if you are diagnosed with it , the next step will be to take a semen analysis to see if your count is good. if it isn’t then surgery will be recommended to have kids later on in life.
I think I have one I’m ****ing scared

Latest