The Student Room Group

Computer Science Degree

Can you do a Computer Science degree without any knowledge of programming, coding etc. However I do have an A-Level in ICT though?
A compsci degree without programming is not a compsci degree. You'll have to do some in at least your first year.
Reply 2
Original post by SAJ171
Can you do a Computer Science degree without any knowledge of programming, coding etc. However I do have an A-Level in ICT though?

Most if not all CompSci degrees have a no-prior-knowledge policy.

Original post by shawn_o1
A compsci degree without programming is not a compsci degree. You'll have to do some in at least your first year.

That's not what the OP asked - they've asked if prior knowledge is necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1

I don't know basic programming. Would it be a disadvantage or will they teach you basics at Uni?
Original post by SAJ171
I don't know basic programming. Would it be a disadvantage or will they teach you basics at Uni?

They start from the very beginning at Uni. However, it would be useful to have at least a small amount of prior knowledge, especially considering how easy it is to get started these days, really there is no excuse to not have at least some.
Original post by SAJ171

It'll be a disadvantage as if you've done it before you'll find it easier at Uni. The official line, at even the top like Cambridge/Imperial is that they don't discriminate based on prior knowledge of programming.
Original post by SAJ171

See above. You'll be taught it from scratch. Ofc it's easier if you've seen it before.
Reply 7
Where can I learn the basics to get me started?
Original post by SAJ171

Its literally everywhere. Just pick a language, Python, C# JavaScript etc are quite popular. And just search for tutorials for very very simple applications. Usually starting with a command line application.

The basics:
Variables (Integers, Floating point numbers, Strings, Booleans etc)
Methods (Functions, a block of code which can be called)
Classes (An object, usually based of a real life item, consisting of attributes (Variables) and methods)
Assignment Operator (=)
Arithmetic Operators (-, *, /, +)
Comparison Operators (==)

Input/Output (Depends on language (Console.WriteLine for C#, console.log for JS, print for Python))

And after researching those, you should be able to create simple applications
Original post by SAJ171

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-11

:smile:
Reply 10
What will I be able to do after learning this?
Original post by SAJ171
What will I be able to do after learning this?

Come on bro. You havent even left TSR to do any research. Stop posting useless comments and please spend 5 minutes doing something productive. Preparing for Uni :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Has any one of you studied/studying Computer Science at Uni?
Reply 13
Original post by SAJ171

*raises hand*
Had no experience before hand, even maths, got a first in my first year. Don't overthink. Enjoy the degree.
I have made some excellent, comprehensive notes covering Computer science for AS/Alevel. You are welcome to check these out.

www.tdck.weebly.com
Original post by SAJ171

I'd suggest trying SoloLearn. There is an app or a website and it'll allow you to learn lots of languages. Every programmer will have a different preference on where to start but really it's all about what works for you. Once you've built the skills in one language it's much easier to move those skills over to a different language.

Personally, I recommend Java first. You'll get into some important concepts such as OOP quickly with that language and it's a highly marketable language to have experience in. It also allows you to quickly get into making programs you can run without being as difficult to learn as a C based language.

Alternatively, Python is good for learning the basics of programming. I've never found much of a use for it outside of learning to program though which is why I don't recommend it, but lots of people will say it's the best one to start with.
Original post by SAJ171

Yes and No for me. I'm doing a software engineering apprenticeships I'm working towards a software engineering degree one day a week and working as a Technical Architect the other 4 days.
Original post by Graphitenexus
It'll be a disadvantage as if you've done it before you'll find it easier at Uni. The official line, at even the top like Cambridge/Imperial is that they don't discriminate based on prior knowledge of programming.

You'd find it pretty bloody hard to get in though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending