The Student Room Group

A Part Time Job?

I'm now 16 years old and would like some extra income, I was considering something like ASDA supermarket but I'm not to sure what type of hours to do, I could easily do after school hours but how many should I do? Please reply if you have some experience...
Original post by lewisheard8
I'm now 16 years old and would like some extra income, I was considering something like ASDA supermarket but I'm not to sure what type of hours to do, I could easily do after school hours but how many should I do? Please reply if you have some experience...

You wont want to hear this because its hard work but McDonalds is highly flexible and pays way over the odds for your age bracket.

Its my school/uni job and I got a comfortable time and a sports car out of it - so as a part time top up it's my recommendation
Don't work at McDonalds!!!! An easy and independent way of money (as well as getting very fit very fast) is working for Deliveroo. It helped me massively when I was a broke student. You don't need a CV or interview - you just fill out an online form and you're good to go! Definitely worth a try - you also get to pick the hours too. Use my referral code JO128665 - would help me out hugely and I'd be happy to share the money too! :biggrin:D

If you find any restaurant-type jobs go for waitressing/bar work, I am already tired of seeing frying pans & kitchen equipment. The evening shift is a nightmare honestly. Possibly the waiters/waitresses have a better job than me...
(Most part time jobs would usually be certain hours due to you being under 18 though)

You could work over the weekend in the evenings on the weekdays.

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council
Original post by Chronoscope
If you find any restaurant-type jobs go for waitressing/bar work, I am already tired of seeing frying pans & kitchen equipment. The evening shift is a nightmare honestly. Possibly the waiters/waitresses have a better job than me...
(Most part time jobs would usually be certain hours due to you being under 18 though)

OP is too young for bar work

Original post by TheInnovator
Don't work at McDonalds!!!! An easy and independent way of money (as well as getting very fit very fast) is working for Deliveroo. It helped me massively when I was a broke student. You don't need a CV or interview - you just fill out an online form and you're good to go! Definitely worth a try - you also get to pick the hours too. Use my referral code JO128665 - would help me out hugely and I'd be happy to share the money too! :biggrin:D

How is OP supposed to work for Deliveroo when they're 16 and so cannot drive?
Reply 6
Thanks, for all of your replies guys, really helped me ou! :smile:
I'm also 16 and recently got a job as a sales assistant at PC world (part time) TBH it's a great job in terms of interest and also the pay is pretty good especially for 16 year olds
Original post by GradedStudent
I'm also 16 and recently got a job as a sales assistant at PC world (part time) TBH it's a great job in terms of interest and also the pay is pretty good especially for 16 year olds

I applied for a role like that at PC world too and got rejected because of no previous retail experience I presume. Ugh
I worked at Costa on Saturdays and school holidays from 16 all the way through to the end of school and it was a great job. They pay all their staff the living wage as well which is extremely good for you considering minimum wage for under 18 is something like £4.10. You can even transfer to a store in your university town if you want to when you go.

My uni has a rule that prohibits students from doing more than 15 hrs in term time. But we've all learnt time - management skills. I wouldn't do more than 5-10 hrs a week if I could avoid it at college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending