The Student Room Group

Can't get a job

I can't get a job i am 24. I always fail online questions for shops and if I hand my CV in the shops or online no one gets back to me. Someone i know being offered 9.00 a hour at asda. How can that be fair by just sitting on a till

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do I do
Reply 2
Keep going. You need to apply all day every day, sign up to Reed, TotalJobs etc etc and set the one click apply setting then just blast it.

Don't worry about other people and what they're getting offered, focus on you.
Reply 3
Original post by utr
Keep going. You need to apply all day every day, sign up to Reed, TotalJobs etc etc and set the one click apply setting then just blast it.

Don't worry about other people and what they're getting offered, focus on you.

I do but I don't hear back. And I tell you what if I don't get paid 9.00 a hour I will not be happy. I would tell the company I demand 9.00 a hour as no way am I getting paid less then him
Reply 4
Yeah its a slog, just keep going. And I wouldn't recommend doing that, because then they simply won't hire you and they'll move on.

What's your working background if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5
Original post by utr
Yeah its a slog, just keep going. And I wouldn't recommend doing that, because then they simply won't hire you and they'll move on.

What's your working background if you don't mind me asking?

I am at college i do volunteering work. He is at UNI. He might have better qualifications but beep beep at a till is easy.
Reply 6
Wouldnt even bother applying for jobs online they never get back to you or just reject you from the start, print off CV's and go into every shop you can. I got my first job by going into a store that didnt have any indications they were hiring anywhere but offered me an interview straight away. Go into anywhere you can
Reply 7
He should not be getting 9.00 a hour for it!!. If i ever got a job at a supermarket then I would tell them to offer me that as it would not be fair and I would sue them. My pip money has stopped and I'm only getting 1.500 in the back
Original post by Themainone
I can't get a job i am 24. I always fail online questions for shops and if I hand my CV in the shops or online no one gets back to me. Someone i know being offered 9.00 a hour at asda. How can that be fair by just sitting on a till

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council
Reply 9
Original post by Analyst89
Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council

I have tried most of those and still don't get anywhere. Plus some shops are not in my town. I have tried every shop and none get back
Reply 10
Just tried to apply for another job again they said thank you but we are not looking!!!!! GIVE ME A CHANCE
Just tried to apply for another job again they said thank you but we are not looking!!!!! GIVE ME A CHANCE

If you're that desperate, McDonald's are always hiring. At least you'd be getting money and you can go part time and still look for other jobs.
Reply 12
Original post by LouLang
If you're that desperate, McDonald's are always hiring. At least you'd be getting money and you can go part time and still look for other jobs.

It needs to be part time as I'm at college. But this person I know is 21 at uni with a part time job between 20 and 25 hours but he is getting 9.00 a hour sat on a till. I would NEVER work at McDonald's. They would not offer me that and I would have to work the hours they want. Asda are being good to this person I know
It needs to be part time as I'm at college. But this person I know is 21 at uni with a part time job between 20 and 25 hours but he is getting 9.00 a hour sat on a till. I would NEVER work at McDonald's. They would not offer me that and I would have to work the hours they want. Asda are being good to this person I know

But why can't asda pay the person £9 though? That's probably just the normal amount of money they pay lol.. and you can always say at the interview at McDonald's the hours you want
Reply 14
Original post by LouLang
But why can't asda pay the person £9 though? That's probably just the normal amount of money they pay lol.. and you can always say at the interview at McDonald's the hours you want

And would McDonald's pay me that no. I AM NOT WORKING IN A SHITHOLE PLACE LIKE THAT. If i did they expect me to go in happy. NO NO NO, I would go in angry.
Reply 15
People that work in a place like that need to be spat on. I would never lower myself to that
And would McDonald's pay me that no. I AM NOT WORKING IN A SHITHOLE PLACE LIKE THAT. If i did they expect me to go in happy. NO NO NO, I would go in angry.

:unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:
People that work in a place like that need to be spat on. I would never lower myself to that

:unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:

I used to work there, MEANY
Reply 18
Original post by LouLang
:unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:

I used to work there, MEANY

Oh did you. I bet you do nothing now. You deserve to have **** over you
Oh did you. I bet you do nothing now. You deserve to have **** over you

Actually, I work in an office. What do you do?

And sorry, deserve to have a what over me? All i see is **** :unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending