The Student Room Group

How do I revise?

GCSE's coming up but the exam includes stuff I've learnt in years 9-11 which I forgot about sooo....any suggestions?

-An Inspector Calls(The one in which I am struggling to remember)
-Poetry about love and relationships (Have the booklet of the poems but...you know...forgot them pretty much)
First of all. Sorry you had to do love and relationships for your poems section. I was lucky enough to get the war and conflict section which seems much more enjoyable.

But back to your question. I would recommend re-reading an inspector calls... even if it is boring. And then you should probably go back through your year 9 and 10 books and find stuff about An Inspector Calls. Reading this would also be helpful but when it comes to actually revision it reading it probably wont do. Another thing you could do is sort all your books into the different texts and sections. Some find it the easiest to rip up their past English books and sort them into folders ( i would ask your teacher before doing this) as it makes it easier to find things.

As for poetry the easiest thing to do, would be to memorise your notes and find connections, similarities and differences between the poems to help you remember them. Hopefully you have a load of notes from lessons, but if not try to find other interpretations of the poems and other peoples views on each poem. This allows you to not only remember the poems but to do better and actually understand the poems.

Good luck!
Original post by zenikhan
gcse's coming up but the exam includes stuff i've learnt in years 9-11 which i forgot about sooo....any suggestions?

-an inspector calls(the one in which i am struggling to remember)
-poetry about love and relationships (have the booklet of the poems but...you know...forgot them pretty much)

past papers!
Original post by Shabby33
past papers!

Past papers don't work when someone lacks basic knowledge on the texts those papers address. They're not even particularly effective in English.
for english literature, use mrbruff's books. best source to be honest. watch his videos, too. try to practice doing your own analysis, the more you do it, the easier it gets. ur brain will get used to analysing and you'll find that it comes naturally after a while. re-read the inspector calls play, it doesn't take too long. you need to familiarize urself with the play. perhaps take some time off using ur phone to read ur books and plays, at least twice each, thoroughly. make mind maps for each character. also, watch stacy raey on youtube. she's brilliant!! <3 good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xBasedChris
Past papers don't work when someone lacks basic knowledge on the texts those papers address. They're not even particularly effective in English.

go through the mark scheme and markers review. for the first couple of papers dont time yourself but when your slightly confident. start timing
Original post by Shabby33
go through the mark scheme and markers review. for the first couple of papers dont time yourself but when your slightly confident. start timing

That doesn't help when the person attempting to revise lacks a basic grasp of the texts in question.
Original post by xBasedChris
That doesn't help when the person attempting to revise lacks a basic grasp of the texts in question.

This is very true as you have to at least have a basic understanding of the text to get anymore than half marks
Original post by How I Life
This is very true as you have to at least have a basic understanding of the text to get anymore than half marks

I'd imagine a basic grasp is essential for far less than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending