The Student Room Group

Oxbridge medicine with A*A*A in A level but bad gcse ! ?😩

So I’ve done my GCSE’s but didn’t do so good ( well in my opinion not good enough for Oxbridge ) as I got 1A*,3A,4B but I’m hoping to get into medicine and to make my own life harder I want to get into an Oxbridge university.If I achieve A*A*A in alevel with the subjects biology chemistry and psychology do I have a chance . I’ve already asked Oxbridge about me picking psychology and they said that’s fine as I only need biology and chemistry .
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Definitely not Oxford sorry. They use BMAT and GCSE to shortlist applicants for interview and if you look at their stats online you'd probably need a 9 in BMAT which is basically impossible. Cambridge looks more at A levels but I hate to say it you'd again need to do amazingly at the BMAT. Cambridge is more holistic but 2A*s and an A is their standard offer... however if your school/college typically doesn't do well at GCSE and you have above average GCSEs for your school then that will help.
If you have asked the university what is the issue? As for GCSEs, this is an issue the individual looking at your application might not be too fussed about. However, medicine is very competitive.
Original post by SK???
So I’ve done my GCSE’s but didn’t do so good ( well in my opinion not good enough for Oxbridge ) as I got 1A*,3A,4B but I’m hoping to get into medicine and to make my own life harder I want to get into an Oxbridge university.If I achieve A*A*A in alevel with the subjects biology chemistry and psychology do I have a chance . I’ve already asked Oxbridge about me picking psychology and they said that’s fine as I only need biology and chemistry .

I'd be very surprised indeed if Cambridge told you that just bio and chem is fine, because it isn't. Your success rate suffers greatly if you don't have a third science/maths.

No chance for Oxford medicine I'm afraid either - GCSEs are far too low.

You need to get your goals into perspective - being a doctor is a lifelong career and getting into medicine will make far more difference to your life than going to Oxbridge specifically. You can still get into medicine, if you apply tactically and do well at the other parts of your application such as having good work experience/volunteering, good UKCAT/BMAT, good personal statement , be well prepared for interview, and, f course, being on track for meeting a potential offer.

Original post by Dragon5555
If you have asked the university what is the issue?

To be fair, I would remember that universities have a significant incentive to get you to apply and no incentive at all in trying to put you off. For most subjects it doesn't matter so much as you can afford to take risks, but for medicine where 60% get no offers at all and every choice counts I would take that into consideration when talking to any uni.

Quick Reply

Latest