The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yup, SJWs call me privileged, I grew up with a single mother because my father was abusive to her. She was disabled so couldn't work, therefore I grew up below the poverty line, I was the first person in my family to even sit exams, let alone get good grates, I also have a genetic disability. White privilege for you.
@sounds like a sock puppet but okay
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Yup, SJWs call me privileged, I grew up with a single mother because my father was abusive to her. She was disabled so couldn't work, therefore I grew up below the poverty line, I was the first person in my family to even sit exams, let alone get good grates, I also have a genetic disability. White privilege for you.

Not to start drama but white privilege doesn’t mean that you have never struggled. It just means that you don’t experience the things that people of colour do
I f***ing hate this idea that white people are somehow set up to succeed. People that claim white privilege exists are using it as an excuse for their failures. I wouldn't say black privilege if a black person got a job/ uni place over me. I'd merely accept that they were better than I was. It is 2017 and some people genuinely believe white privilege still exists. Pathetic.
Original post by cherryred90s
Not to start drama but white privilege doesn’t mean that you have never struggled. It just means that you don’t experience the things that people of colour do

What do they experience that white people don't?

No, it's a phrase used to suggest white people have an easier time and automatically have a better life because of their skin pigmentation, it's usually used as an excuse for the failings of individuals that are ethnic minorities, who like to blame society instead of admitting something is their fault.
Original post by Calg_
What do they experience that white people don't?

Institutional and systematic racism
It's just stupid overgeneralisation. People seem to think that ALL white people are priveleged and automatically advantaged. Those people are probably just jealous. Whatever deck of cards you're dealt when you're born, go and achieve something! Instead, people just sulk saying "this person got better cards than me. Boo hoo hoo."
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
No, it's a phrase used to suggest white people have an easier time and automatically have a better life because of their skin pigmentation, it's usually used as an excuse for the failings of individuals that are ethnic minorities, who like to blame society instead of admitting something is their fault.

If that’s what you believe, cool
Institutional and systematic racism

Hahahahahahahahaha is that a joke or are you genuinely being serious? I hear this claim far too often with zero evidence to back this up. Grow up.
Reply 11
"Weekend studying" was rather anticlimactic, isn't that ordinary?

The person was underprivileged and her success was entirely up to her own drive, she is to be praised for her achievements. SJWs are against success rather than against privilege.
Original post by Calg_
Hahahahahahahahaha is that a joke or are you genuinely being serious? I hear this claim far too often with zero evidence to back this up. Grow up.

You think there has been no evidence of institutional racism within the UK? Really?
You think there has been no evidence of institutional racism within the UK? Really?

Never once said that. I said that when people make this point they never have any evidence to back it up.

Does that mean that ethnic minorities have minority privilege then?
Original post by Calg_
Never once said that. I said that when people make this point they never have any evidence to back it up.

But the evidence used to back it up is the evidence of institutional racism..
Original post by Underscore__
Does that mean that ethnic minorities have minority privilege then?

Yes I believe minority privilege exists too, but on a smaller scale
Yes, I'm sure Will Smith's children have to struggle a lot in life and haven't had everything handed to them on a silver platter...

Privilege comes mainly from connections/money and not race. I think there was a statistic that black people are more likely to go to university in the UK and even in America those from an East Asian background tend to earn more on average. The term "white privilege" is a nonsense.
but the evidence used to back it up is the evidence of institutional racism..

show me some then
Original post by Calg_
show me some then

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/05/met-chief-admits-institutional-racism-claims-have-some-justification

“The 2011 census indicated that over 40% of Londoners were from BME backgrounds, whilst only 10% of MPS police officers were from BME communities. "These officers disproportionately hug the lower ranks, face significantly slower rates of career progression and are over-represented in disciplinary actions, in comparison to their white counterparts. This current position is unsustainable, as it severely impacts on police legitimacy and more importantly erodes trust and confidence in BME communities."
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2013/apr/21/metropolitan-police-institutionally-racist-black

https://www.runnymedetrust.org/blog/racism-in-the-delivery-of-mentah-health-services

Latest

Trending

Trending