The Student Room Group

Top Russell Group unis for Law LLB in terms of reputation and graduate employment?

So I am being predicted AAA (I'll likely get these grades or possibly A*AB or AAB) so I am looking for other AAA unis for Law LLB or Law with Criminology LLB (preferably) to even out my largely AAB list.
Currently, I am pretty certain I want to apply to Manchester, Royal Holloway and Liverpool (ABB as a safe choice) and I am trying to find two other reputable unis to put in. I am kinda considering Nottingham, Leeds, Sheffield or Exeter. But I'm pretty worried about Exeter as I've heard they are very strict with grades and if I were to get an AAA offer (which is the most likely) it would put me under immense pressure as I feel, although predicted AAA, I'd only get those grades on a good day, A*AB is most likely.
So anyway (sorry for waffling) can anyone rank these unis for me as ideally I'd like to be working for a top city firm (unlikely to be Magic Circle though as I know the unis I'm considering aren't exactly Oxbridge haha) but still a good firm. Which of the above mentioned unis have the best reputation in order (the league tables are a bit indecisive) and any other AAA uni recommendations?
Thanks!
Original post by J-SP
Ex-MC recruiter here.

Plenty of non-Oxbridge people are recruited by MC firms.

Nottingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Exeter, Manchester = all much of a muchness. MC firms will all attend the careers fair at these universities, will sponsor their law societies, and will probably do some form of careers event outside of the law fair.

Royal Holloway is a new law course, so hasn't got an established reputation. It doesn't mean firms won't start to target it in the future, especially when their tariff entyr point starts to increase. It also has a focus on non-commercial law, with a strong focus on criminology, meaning it isn't as directly connected to MC firms.

Liverpool is a strange one. I tried to work more with Liverpool as a recruiter, but found the students were less interested in working in London, and weren't interested in MC firms. It's slightly lower tariff entry point also probably doesn't help.

Liverpool is also quite public law-y/social justice-y.
Haha Exeter are not strict, in my experience at least.

I am predicted A*AA and got an offer of BBB

They said they really liked my personal statement and believed i was a strong candidate so got a good offer.
However, out of the ones you listed, Nottingham are the most reputable and are my 2nd choice behind oxford
Original post by J-SP
Ex-MC recruiter here.

Plenty of non-Oxbridge people are recruited by MC firms.

Nottingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Exeter, Manchester = all much of a muchness. MC firms will all attend the careers fair at these universities, will sponsor their law societies, and will probably do some form of careers event outside of the law fair.

Royal Holloway is a new law course, so hasn't got an established reputation. It doesn't mean firms won't start to target it in the future, especially when their tariff entyr point starts to increase. It also has a focus on non-commercial law, with a strong focus on criminology, meaning it isn't as directly connected to MC firms.

Liverpool is a strange one. I tried to work more with Liverpool as a recruiter, but found the students were less interested in working in London, and weren't interested in MC firms. It's slightly lower tariff entry point also probably doesn't help.

Would you say that any of the 5 mentioned unis (Manchester, Exeter, Sheffield, Notts and Leeds) particularly stand out to you, reputation wise, or would you pretty much place them all on par with each other?
Would doing Law with Criminology LLB be a hinderance at all if I’m looking to go into commercial law anyway? Would I be viewed as a better applicant just doing straight Law LLB or does it not make a difference?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending