The Student Room Group

Need Advice.

HAHA never thought i'd be back here but here i am...

Anyway! I have a law degree and masters, both of which i got a first and distinction. I've been working as a business analyst for a tech firm for the last 8 months,( but i suck at it and need to improve or i will lose my job when my coworker leaves )

Im not passionate about the BA role and still have no idea what im doing with my life. should i apply for grad schemes (give civil service another shot?) or just hunker down with what im doing and try to improve? or do PHD? or become lawyer? (bloody hell mate i didn't even want to do law in the first place and hated it but you know family and pressure are a wonderful thing)

Anyway i have no idea what i want to do with my life so can someone please give me advice on next steps? whether that be getting more qualifications on BA, investing some cash in grad scheme test? save for LPC? get a psychiatrist?

Plus i got the social skills of a mouse, so i have no idea how i've lasted this long in life

Just tell me what to do!!!
What do you actually want to do? You've given us things you don't like/are bad at but what do you enjoy/are good at?
Original post by Student-95
What do you actually want to do? You've given us things you don't like/are bad at but what do you enjoy/are good at?

if i knew i'd be doing it

i have hobbies like gaming and martial arts but you can't make a career out of those!
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
if i knew i'd be doing it

i have hobbies like gaming and martial arts but you can't make a career out of those!

Well how are we meant to know? Was there anything at school/university you were good at? What was your most enjoyable module?
Original post by Student-95
Well how are we meant to know? Was there anything at school/university you were good at? What was your most enjoyable module?

although i did well in majority of them, all modules were of unremarkable interest to me. yes there were aspects of public law or tech law that piqued my interest, but nothing that made me go "this is really cool".

I wasn't particularly good at anything in school either. maybe netball but even my skill in that waned in yr10/11.

Im good at stuff that im not passionate about but do (sometimes) because i dont want to be "left behind" and/or pressure from family/society
Original post by J-SP
Some people do

true but you know what i mean. for it to be sustainable you need to be remarkably good in areas which are very competitive
Original post by J-SP
Or dedicated.

You're being fatutous. do you thin you can turn your hobbies into a career? have you done so? gaming and martial arts are hobbies, ones which i am passionate about for my sanity but nevertheless do casually for entertainment. these are not things that i, as a 20 something, can turn into anything even remotely lucrative

please provide advice on OP
Original post by J-SP
There is a whole gaming industry out there worth £100s of billions globally. People are needed as employees to support that industry.

Martial arts - you think the person who taught you did it for free?

But if they are just hobbies to you and you don’t have the drive to pursue them as a career, that’s fine. Plenty of people like keeping their passions as hobbies.

Go and speak to a careers advisor from your university. You can usually access their services up to 3 years after graduation. They might be able to help you better than a forum.

Im absolutely astounded. i've seen your posts and you do give constructive advice! cant you at least placate me? tell me what would be the best route for the jobs in the OP if i was interested in that stuff?

millions of people do **** they don't enjoy. i've accepted that that's just life. so tell me what i can do to make the best of a bad situation.
Im absolutely astounded. i've seen your posts and you do give constructive advice! cant you at least placate me? tell me what would be the best route for the jobs in the OP if i was interested in that stuff?

millions of people do **** they don't enjoy. i've accepted that that's just life. so tell me what i can do to make the best of a bad situation.

Do you want to become a barrister or a solicitor then? I dont see the point in doing a phd etc. I cant tell you if you should go for another grad scheme as I dont know what you think you will be good at. Most grad schemes dont require a specific degree so you could try applying for another one in a different sector (eg accounting)

You could always try to develop a new skill and go into an area that uses it (eg programming to become a software developer, game engine dev etc). It is perfectly possible to develop skills outside of work in order to gain entry to another job sector (I am in the process of doing that myself) but you need to know what you want to aim for to do this

Edit: I also suggest going to your uni careers centre to gain some advice too
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
Do you want to become a barrister or a solicitor then? I dont see the point in doing a phd etc. I cant tell you if you should go for another grad scheme as I dont know what you think you will be good at. Most grad schemes dont require a specific degree so you could try applying for another one in a different sector (eg accounting)

You could always try to develop a new skill and go into an area that uses it (eg programming to become a software developer, game engine dev etc). It is perfectly possible to develop skills outside of work in order to gain entry to another job sector (I am in the process of doing that myself) but you need to know what you want to aim for to do this

Edit: I also suggest going to your uni careers centre to gain some advice too

i've been meaning to get into programming and will do seriously as a hobby after this grad scheme cycle, but i don't if i want to cultivate programming as a skill because it equals job security or because im slightly interested in it

the thing with me life is that im slightly interested in a lot of things but nothing makes me want to get up in the morning. How do i find my passion? and if i can't how do i avoid dead end jobs or falling into a career of being broke (why have low money if you can't find passion in what you do? - is my motto)
i've been meaning to get into programming and will do seriously as a hobby after this grad scheme cycle, but i don't if i want to cultivate programming as a skill because it equals job security or because im slightly interested in it

the thing with me life is that im slightly interested in a lot of things but nothing makes me want to get up in the morning. How do i find my passion? and if i can't how do i avoid dead end jobs or falling into a career of being broke (why have low money if you can't find passion in what you do? - is my motto)

You find what you are passionate about/interested in etc by just trying things that you think might interest you. whether that be a certain career or a particular skill.

To make an interest grow you need to spend time doing it, there will be times were you get frustrated with everything, including whatever it is you're passionate about. If it is a skill that is hard to learn then chances are you will be slightly frustrated with it a lot of the time as it is annoying not being able to do something straight away. Very few people find their passion straight away, its all about trail and error.

Example - Programming

You say you have a slight interest in programming, well try learning some of python and make a program in it, see if you enjoy it etc if you do then great learn some more and so on. But you need to give it a certain amount of time before deciding it isnt for you to give you time to really know if it isnt for you. Then if you enjoy doing it you could look at turning that hobby into a job

Why start after this grad scheme cycle? Start now, try things, start with programming and see how it goes, if that doesn't work out try something else that you have a slight interest in. At the start you're not going to get paid for what you think you will enjoy unless you have a good enough skill level in it already

How do you make sure you dont end up in a dead end job? Have a plan, pick a career/job sector and get into it, progress the required skills to get better and slowly get promoted. You dont need to enjoy it to do that, it just helps.

Your motto as I read it means if you dont like something why should you do it unless it is high paying? If so you do it because you need money to survive, you really think all cashiers at tesco loves their jobs, no they dont but they do it because they need money to live.

I will give you an example of a friend of mine

The guy loves photography but without a certain skill level and client base you cant make a full time career out of it. He worked at tesco for 2 years while building up the skills and clients in his spare time, he HATED working at tesco but he did it because he needed the money. Now he has been doing photography as a full time job for 2.5 years and ****ing loves what he does, but he got there by spending his spare time developing his skills and audience while working a job he hated.

Edit - To summarise

1. To find your passion just try things that you think you might enjoy
2. To not end up in a dead end job, make a plan that allows you to break into a career with progression and then get good enough to progress (ie whatever the next step to becoming a barrister is for you after a law degree)
3. Don't just keep saying 'oh I have been meaning to try that' just actually try it
4. If you say you want to get paid lots if you dont have a passion for something just pick a high paying career and go into that then, use money as the motivation (this rarely works though)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
You find what you are passionate about/interested in etc by just trying things that you think might interest you. whether that be a certain career or a particular skill.

To make an interest grow you need to spend time doing it, there will be times were you get frustrated with everything, including whatever it is you're passionate about. If it is a skill that is hard to learn then chances are you will be slightly frustrated with it a lot of the time as it is annoying not being able to do something straight away. Very few people find their passion straight away, its all about trail and error.

Example - Programming

You say you have a slight interest in programming, well try learning some of python and make a program in it, see if you enjoy it etc if you do then great learn some more and so on. But you need to give it a certain amount of time before deciding it isnt for you to give you time to really know if it isnt for you. Then if you enjoy doing it you could look at turning that hobby into a job

Why start after this grad scheme cycle? Start now, try things, start with programming and see how it goes, if that doesn't work out try something else that you have a slight interest in. At the start you're not going to get paid for what you think you will enjoy unless you have a good enough skill level in it already

How do you make sure you dont end up in a dead end job? Have a plan, pick a career/job sector and get into it, progress the required skills to get better and slowly get promoted. You dont need to enjoy it to do that, it just helps.

Your motto as I read it means if you dont like something why should you do it unless it is high paying? If so you do it because you need money to survive, you really think all cashiers at tesco loves their jobs, no they dont but they do it because they need money to live.

I will give you an example of a friend of mine

The guy loves photography but without a certain skill level and client base you cant make a full time career out of it. He worked at tesco for 2 years while building up the skills and clients in his spare time, he HATED working at tesco but he did it because he needed the money. Now he has been doing photography as a full time job for 2.5 years and ****ing loves what he does, but he got there by spending his spare time developing his skills and audience while working a job he hated.

Edit - To summarise

1. To find your passion just try things that you think you might enjoy
2. To not end up in a dead end job, make a plan that allows you to break into a career with progression and then get good enough to progress (ie whatever the next step to becoming a barrister is for you after a law degree)
3. Don't just keep saying 'oh I have been meaning to try that' just actually try it
4. If you say you want to get paid lots if you dont have a passion for something just pick a high paying career and go into that then, use money as the motivation (this rarely works though)

That was quite constructive and clearly laid out. Thanks for taking time to advise me.
That was quite constructive and clearly laid out. Thanks for taking time to advise me.

You're welcome! Another thing to note is that it will probably take time to find your passion, dont expect to find it in a month. this is for several reasons

1. You may have to try lots of things
2. it takes time get enough exposure to a skill to get good enough/do enough of it to know if you really are going to enjoy it (sometimes things suck in the beginning because you need to learn the basics before getting to the good stuff)
3. some things are more difficult to try than others (ie you can program at home but it takes time to get experience in something like accounting)

I would say it took me 2 years of really trying things to find what I think I want to do for the foreseeable future (though I picked up either good work experience or hobbies/knowledge along the way while doing this 'search')

But who knows you might find it first try too!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending