The Student Room Group

tok essay please i need help

can someone please help me to understand my tok essay title : "The vocabulary we have does more than communicate our knowledge ;it shapes what we can know" . I have to submit it tomorrow please i need help
Original post by Cici_99
can someone please help me to understand my tok essay title : "The vocabulary we have does more than communicate our knowledge ;it shapes what we can know" . I have to submit it tomorrow please i need help

What are you having trouble understanding, specifically?

The title is essentially proposing that, if someone knows a certain language or set of languages ("language" does not have to refer exclusively to natural languages like English, German etc.; you could define the ability to read and write music as a language if you want to, for example), the vocabulary in this language/these languages and what it is capable of expressing determines whether this person can comprehend certain concepts, as well as whether they can discuss these concepts. I would suggest looking into linguistic relativity to start with, and if you've studied Wittgenstein at all in TOK, drawing in some of his earlier ideas would be a good idea (one particular quotation from Tractatus comes to mind: "the limits of my language are the limits of my world").
Reply 2
Original post by Sonechka
What are you having trouble understanding, specifically?

The title is essentially proposing that, if someone knows a certain language or set of languages ("language" does not have to refer exclusively to natural languages like English, German etc.; you could define the ability to read and write music as a language if you want to, for example), the vocabulary in this language/these languages and what it is capable of expressing determines whether this person can comprehend certain concepts, as well as whether they can discuss these concepts. I would suggest looking into linguistic relativity to start with, and if you've studied Wittgenstein at all in TOK, drawing in some of his earlier ideas would be a good idea (one particular quotation from Tractatus comes to mind: "the limits of my language are the limits of my world":wink:.

Thanks for your reply, i'am a bit confuse because i don't if saying " the vocabulary that we have also shapes what we can know because for example in a discipline such as visual art if a student doesn't understand anything especially the sens of some terminologies in the principles of art, and mostly that he doesn't know the initial meaning of those term , the fact of not understanding those words and not having a pre idea of their meanings shows that he has lakes in his vocabulary which limit his learning in visual art to a level that doesn't reach the principle of art.
Original post by Cici_99
Thanks for your reply, i'am a bit confuse because i don't if saying " the vocabulary that we have also shapes what we can know because for example in a discipline such as visual art if a student doesn't understand anything especially the sens of some terminologies in the principles of art, and mostly that he doesn't know the initial meaning of those term , the fact of not understanding those words and not having a pre idea of their meanings shows that he has lakes in his vocabulary which limit his learning in visual art to a level that doesn't reach the principle of art.

That's one way of interpreting it, yes: the vocabulary we have limits what we can know in that if someone lacks the terminology with which to describe something in a specific field, they might not be able to understand certain concepts in this field. I think you can interpret it in a bit more of a philosophical way, though, since it's a TOK essay.
Reply 4
Original post by Sonechka
That's one way of interpreting it, yes: the vocabulary we have limits what we can know in that if someone lacks the terminology with which to describe something in a specific field, they might not be able to understand certain concepts in this field. I think you can interpret it in a bit more of a philosophical way, though, since it's a TOK essay.

Ok Thanks a lot , what do mean by more of a philosophical way please (i'm a french speaker :doh:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending