The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S.olk
First of all read what I said. BLACK PEOPLE. Not blacks.

Again. Read what I said. I did not say they refuse to investigate crime committed by white people, I said they focus way more on crimes committed by black people, the more time you spend looking for black criminals, the higher the chance that you would find one which is why they are so overrepresented in the statistics.

Also, Asians in Britain are know to be more well off and more likely to be middle class, hence why their crimes are less likely to be cracked down on.

P.S That 'Fatherless home" argument is ******** and I'm tired of hearing it, there are plenty of young, single, white mothers.

And I asked you what are they? Pink?

Now please highlight to me what crimes blacks have on lock down that police focus on.

Then move on to highlight to me what crimes whites have on lock down that police refuse to focus on.

Then maybe you can even go further and highight to me what crimes Chinese, Asians, Arabs have on lock down that police refuse to focus on.

Telling me there are plenty of young, single, white mothers is as useless as me telling you "there are plenty of black people with good and professional jobs". Completely useless statements both are. It is about proportions, intensity and outcomes.
Original post by cherryred90s
Read the Lammy Review

Are you sure that's what you want to go with? Because I'm reading it right now and page 20 specifically states that prosecution rates per arrest are broadly the same across all arrest spectrums. That is: That the evidenciary stage is passed and roughly 70-72% of all cases - Regardless of ethnicity - Gets prosecuted.

That doesn't exactly paint what you want.

And page 21:

Given this track record of external scrutiny, the broadly equitable results produced by the CPS are no coincidence. Organisations that embrace accountability commit to high standards because there is nowhere to hide from the

results.

In fact, the report you said for me to read said exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting. Black males get arrested at a disproportionate rate, but things that proceed to trial face a strict evidenciary policy that tosses out roughly the same number of cases regardless of ethnicity and that CPS specifically does not suffer from a racial bias, having been under strict external scrutiny.

Are you sure that's what you wanted me to read?
Original post by 14102017
facebook.jpg

Sounds like someone is jealous of this persons success so they are putting them down.

Got to say, the term 'white privilege' is false and stupid. You can definitely associate that term as true 50+ years ago, but now everything is more than equal. And I don't think white privilege applies to everyone, especially if you're Romanian or Bulgarian as people will treat you as people who come to steal/steal jobs and are immigrants. Though I have one way of looking at it: students shouldn't count as immigrants (e.g. when a country does a basic count). Meh, I don't know, I guess it's one of Labour's views.
Original post by Germanyisthebest
Got to say, the term 'white privilege' is false and stupid. You can definitely associate that term as true 50+ years ago, but now everything is more than equal. And I don't think white privilege applies to everyone, especially if you're Romanian or Bulgarian as people will treat you as people who come to steal/steal jobs and are immigrants. Though I have one way of looking at it: students shouldn't count as immigrants (e.g. when a country does a basic count). Meh, I don't know, I guess it's one of Labour's views.

Exactly!

Mentally-ill SJW nonsense.

There are more Polish and Romanians in UK jails than Nigerians and Jamaicans.
Original post by RoyalBeams
Exactly!

Mentally-ill SJW nonsense.

There are more Polish and Romanians in UK jails than Nigerians and Jamaicans.

Honestly I think it's always best to take every SJW and person on the internet with at least a pinch of salt. Some SJWs sure have genuinely good opinions and views, but some are dreadful and those should be avoided. It's not even worth replying to them.

When it comes to more Polish and Romanian people in jail than Nigerians and Jamaicans, it is truly a reflection of non-white privilege. However, I do believe people should have appropriate consequences to their wrongful act. And while I believe no one should be judged because of their race, unfortunately it's true. It may be terrifying for some to walk by a black person at night. Same way can be said about allowing a Romanian person into someone's house. All the same, pretty sad.
Unimportant to YOU.

Quoting me to tell me you don’t care as if I asked..yet I’m the one wasting their energy?

Tbh it's Sunday and I have a bit of time to kill.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Are you sure that's what you want to go with? Because I'm reading it right now and page 20 specifically states that prosecution rates per arrest are broadly the same across all arrest spectrums. That is: That the evidenciary stage is passed and roughly 70-72% of all cases - Regardless of ethnicity - Gets prosecuted.

That doesn't exactly paint what you want.

And page 21:

In fact, the report you said for me to read said exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting. Black males get arrested at a disproportionate rate, but things that proceed to trial face a strict evidenciary policy that tosses out roughly the same number of cases regardless of ethnicity and that CPS specifically does not suffer from a racial bias, having been under strict external scrutiny.

Are you sure that's what you wanted me to read?

What you’re referring to is regarding the way that the CPS handle offences. It doesn’t account for the majority of (more minor) offences that the police deal with..which is why people continue to accuse the police of institutional racism, not the CPS.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Tbh it's Sunday and I have a bit of time to kill.

:yy:
Privilege is a thing everywhere. Those in power, or those that have a long lineage of a high social status will afford privileges to people that have been put through a similar system compared to those that don't. The ones at the top of the pile will not face the same stereotypes as those at the bottom. It's pretty natural to preferpeople cut from the same cloth, generally, because you have more in common with them and are more likely to get along. So, in the UK, the education system benefits those who've had a private education over public education, for example. People growing up in middle-class suburbs and rural villages will have a better start in life, standard of living, etc. through no virtue of their own and that will generally pass on to their kids, and grandkids.

It also happens in ways you don't wouldn't recognise. I have never been involved in a stop and search, people usually apply positive attributes to me, etc. A black friend growing up in a similar situation as me and has been in the public eye, still gets treated as a foreigner by some people, has been stopped and searched, has been discriminated against because his natural hair did not suit school regulations, etc. despite being a better person than I ever was. A lot of this stuff I was completely oblivious to until recent years, as we've grown up. Imagine being told you can't sit exams because your hair naturally grows into an afro and having to constantly shave your head because of negative associations staff made with that type of hair. Or being stopped and searched because of your colour, through no fault of your own, but because people had stereotypes about your race. It's not really that nice. I don't really know that many Asian people, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear about how often they get called a "terrorist", "paedophile worshipper", etc. because of their skin colour. I am privileged in that I never have and never will experience those things.

I have no idea about the hardships people growing up in inner-city council estates have. I have had the fortune of never being treated like a second-class citizen like when people talk about "chavs", "gypsies", etc. I didn't go to a crappy comp school where people had parents and families that didn't care for education because the system never helped them out, which perpetuates in kids that don't care either, becuase there are no role models in their household. But I'm aware that my life has generally been a lot more comfortable than those people and I had an advantage on that alone, and that I'm lucky to have grown up how I did. Everyone has their own trials and tribulations.

If you say that there's no such thing as privilege, you're completely lacking in empathy or understanding to what others may go through and completely dismiss it, because growing up in a middle-class, white, rural village is definitely not the same as growing up in a working-class city council estate. Let alone after you factor race or even sex as an additonal variable, because those can compound things.

I think a lot of people go about it the wrong way, though. Shaming others because of privilege doesn't mean anything. Screaming at somebody that they're privileged is not helpful or productive. Forcing quotas may seem helpful, because you're making systematic changes from the top and giving people from disadvantaged groups role models and such, but it also leaves a lot of people feeling bitter because it's an "eye for an eye" type approach, where you flip the tables and impose some reverse discrimination. That ends up leaving those that previously benefited, bitter and resentful because they got a taste of negative stereotyping and constantly leads to questions about the capability of the person that replaced them; are they good enough on their own merit, or was it a charity case? Either way, it breeds resentment, as you often see in forums, espcially right-leaning ones, because the people that end up there weren't expected to empathise with disadvantaged people, but shamed to that point. It doesn't solve anything and creates more division. I'm not all knowing, so I can't suggest a fix. But a little bit of empathy can go a long way. A lot further than screaming and shouting, anyway.

Original post by Germanyisthebest

It's definitely a thing. You can tell when you see how people react to being racially profiled in countries that do not care for it. For example, in Japan, a lot of foreign workers, even those that have lived there for decades complain about being racially discriminated by the police, ex-pats being treated as an eternal fresh off the boat foreigner, being stared at, patronisd, etc. Some people come back from working in Japan feeling really bitter because they aren't afforded the same privileges they were used to back home. People will say that's because Japan is extremely racist and xenophobic, but it's no worse than anywhere else, really. People, especially white foreigners, will take extra offence because they've never been treated as an "other" before. It's just a taste of life as a minority.

It isn't as strong now as it was in the past. But there will always be some privileges afforded to those that benefit most from the system. It's just how it is. The way the system here works, primarily gives advantages to people with a private education. A lot of the reason why people ***** about stuff now is because others are trying to turn the tides in a "let's reverse the roles without explanation" way, rather than an "empathise with less privileged people, recognise the privilege you have and try to help/understand others" way. So instead of making people try to understand why it's sh*t being negatively stereotyped in certain ways and how it affects them, people just shout and scream and use terms like "white privilege" as a blanket term. It's not helpful. I remember seeing a comment on Facebook by some melt saying "white males are the most discriminated group ever" and that's only because of the current, volatile political climate. God knows how a melt like that would cope with the type of stuff you hear people from black and asian backgrounds get. But that's partly because he sees the constant shame culture these days, rather than someone telling him what it's like growing up as a black working-class male, for example.

Privilege isn't universal, either. Privilege comes in different shapes and forms. Education, familiy, etc. all afford different types of privilege. Someone from a working-class background suffers from types of discrimination another person from a middle-class background will not. Like you said, somebody from a Romanian, Bulgarian or even Polish background will have a less than savoury stereotype applied to them, despite being white. Same with Irish travelers, etc. And not every type of privilege is equal. But, if you're in a majority white country, white people will tend to benefit from the system more than someone that isn't, all other factors being equal. That's how it is, everywhere in the world. Just like how a Japanese system will benefit native Japanese. If your surname is Johnson, you're at a natural advantage to someone with the surname, Hussein, even if every other factor is equal. It's nice to be aware of it, because you recognise that not everything is on your own merit and the advantages you have. There's nothing wrong with admitting that you got some help along the way. Of course, most people don't like to admit they ever needed help. It also helps, because you can learn to recognise that other people didn't get the same leg up as you did and to lend a sympathetic ear if wanted and help, if needed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Basically it seems that when a non white person see a white person do better then them they cry white privilages. Yet when a non white person gets a job and the white person doesn't even if they are better then the non white person, they call that progress or being a more diverse company. Again it like when lower class white people see EU national do better then them, they claim they are cheating the benifits system you could say EU privilages. It's just people kicking over a fuss when things are not going there way.

It be interested if a company that has a whole white workforce because they employ those people because they were the best canidate for the job at the time at employment, how that company is branded. Is it a racist company? A non diverse company? A equal company? It's sort of seems that non white people can use they race or religion to get things, because they can force the other party to think they are being racist by denying them their thing. Which is just positive discrimination.
Institutional and systematic racism

Demonstrate it. What institutions or systems actively work to keep out non-whites? The ones with diversity quotas, the BBC which has outright refused to hire white people for some roles, Hollywood that massively over-represents non-white people compared to their percentage of the population or the ones which cover up non-white crimes such as Cologne and Rotherham? (Yes I'm aware there are white crime coverups too but my point is Dave the coke addict isn't getting a free pass for his drug money robberies is he?) There is no demonstrable barrier to non-whites other than those they impose themselves ie 'we don't see ourselves represented' (so what - Neil Armstrong had never seen anyone land on the moon, he still did it).

This whole 'privilege' rubbish is just another way of applying collectivist identitarianism ie whites are doing well as a group, therefore whites are privileged as a group and it's fundamentally stupid because it invalidates the individual and leads to moronic statements like homeless people have 'white male privilege'. It's exactly the same as the redefinition of white supremacy to mean a system in which whites do better (nobody mention the black supremacy in the NBA) - totally pointless and designed to sound bad and therefore worth opposing to those not versed in the new definition. This focus on race as a categorisation is detrimental as imbalance is the mark of a free society, and a free society is created by each individual being free - not by viewing them as nothing more than their racial category (identity politics as a whole is stupid because as soon as the majority start doing it the minority are screwed which is exactly what they were trying to avoid)
(edited 6 years ago)
White privilege does exist. But tbh class privilege is more prominent. Absolutely does my head in when middle class BME want to chat about privilege when they grew up in a nice semi detached house in a good part of the country.

There's a fine line between acknowledging privilege and using it as an excuse for your failures.
Its ridiculous to complain about 'white privilege' as if they are born with a better future and expecting sympathy to earn you points, just get on with it, and make yourself a better future.
Original post by S.olk
First of all read what I said. BLACK PEOPLE. Not blacks.

Again. Read what I said. I did not say they refuse to investigate crime committed by white people, I said they focus way more on crimes committed by black people, the more time you spend looking for black criminals, the higher the chance that you would find one which is why they are so overrepresented in the statistics.

Also, Asians in Britain are know to be more well off and more likely to be middle class, hence why their crimes are less likely to be cracked down on.

P.S That 'Fatherless home" argument is ******** and I'm tired of hearing it, there are plenty of young, single, white mothers.

What is wrong with being a young single mother or for that matter a young single father? Nothing most single parents male or female are doing an amazing job of raising their children. Few are living of benefits most single parents are working full or part time. People become single parents for lot of different reasons their partner could have died for example.
It doesn’t account for the majority of (more minor) offences that the police deal with.

This is a ridiculous claim. The only sanction the police can dispense is a formal caution. There are strict rules on doing so which they have to follow and they cannot give one for an indictable offence without permission from the DPP.

Most significantly, nobody can receive a formal caution without having admitted the crime they are being cautioned for. How, then, can the police be dispensing unmerited punishments to blacks?
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Demonstrate it. What institutions or systems actively work to keep out non-whites? The ones with diversity quotas, the BBC which has outright refused to hire white people for some roles, Hollywood that massively over-represents non-white people compared to their percentage of the population or the ones which cover up non-white crimes such as Cologne and Rotherham? (Yes I'm aware there are white crime coverups too but my point is Dave the coke addict isn't getting a free pass for his drug money robberies is he?) There is no demonstrable barrier to non-whites other than those they impose themselves ie 'we don't see ourselves represented' (so what - Neil Armstrong had never seen anyone land on the moon, he still did it).

This whole 'privilege' rubbish is just another way of applying collectivist identitarianism ie whites are doing well as a group, therefore whites are privileged as a group and it's fundamentally stupid because it invalidates the individual and leads to moronic statements like homeless people have 'white male privilege'. It's exactly the same as the redefinition of white supremacy to mean a system in which whites do better (nobody mention the black supremacy in the NBA) - totally pointless and designed to sound bad and therefore worth opposing to those not versed in the new definition. This focus on race as a categorisation is detrimental as imbalance is the mark of a free society, and a free society is created by each individual being free - not by viewing them as nothing more than their racial category (identity politics as a whole is stupid because as soon as the majority start doing it the minority are screwed which is exactly what they were trying to avoid)

Read the rest of the thread
Original post by RoyalBeams
Oh, so you mean Police refuse to investigate and solve crimes committed by whites hence why the proportion of violent crimes attributed to blacks is higher than than the proportion of their population?

Police is heavier in urban area?

Is that not in proportion with population of urban areas?

Secondly, how come Chinese and Asian statistics not high too?

You think it is because they like them or because they don't have a pervasive gang culture?

What proportion of Chinese and Asians have their fathers missing in the picture and they have to live in single mother households?

Are those also part of "WHITE PRIVILEGE"?

Off white privilege!! 😂
Original post by Good bloke
This is a ridiculous claim. The only sanction the police can dispense is a formal caution. There are strict rules on doing so which they have to follow and they cannot give one for an indictable offence without permission from the DPP.

Most significantly, nobody can receive a formal caution without having admitted the crime they are being cautioned for. How, then, can the police be dispensing unmerited punishments to blacks?

The police decide who to stop and search.
They investigate and respond to calls from the public if an incident has occurred.
They don’t record all crime that is reported to them.
They can choose who to arrest.
They give evidence in court.
Original post by YaliaV
Yes, I'm sure Will Smith's children have to struggle a lot in life and haven't had everything handed to them on a silver platter...

Privilege comes mainly from connections/money and not race. I think there was a statistic that black people are more likely to go to university in the UK and even in America those from an East Asian background tend to earn more on average. The term "white privilege" is a nonsense.

Are you serious? Most people especially not black people are not highest paid Hollywood actors.

Anyway I can't stand the **** that got randomly stirred on that person's profile post. If you know for a fact that the person didn't work hard and made it into a top university then maybe accuse them of things. I don't like being involuntarily dragged in racial sjw foolishness if some ******* thinks they can speak for me. I'm not saying privilege doesn't exist but in this case and many others people talk **** out their mouths.
What you’re referring to is regarding the way that the CPS handle offences. It doesn’t account for the majority of (more minor) offences that the police deal with..which is why people continue to accuse the police of institutional racism, not the CPS.

So institutional racism is not responsible for increased jail populations?

Latest

Trending

Trending