The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Not if that crime has a disproportionate proportion of black perpetrators.

I think this is a mistake that many people make when dealing with statistics. If black men are 75% more likely to be arrested for a particular crime, but are 75% more likely to have actually committed that crime, then the statistics are merely bearing out reality, not any kind of discrimination or "privilege".

That is not to say that there is no discrimination or privilege - because there certainly is. Just that there is more to statistics than pointing at a number and saying "look, that is bigger than another number".

*nods* Good point, thanks.
Reply 181
Original post by paul514
I don’t think institutions are racist and I don’t think people are by enlarge either.
It's "by and large".
Original post by QE2
Not if that crime has a disproportionate proportion of black perpetrators.

Which of course drug offenses don't.
Original post by RoyalBeams
Well said, mate.

Obama's daughter in Harvard cannot sit her arse down to complain about white privilege against some trailer-living white in Arizona.

Yes absolutely. She's very privileged.
Original post by QE2
It's "by and large".

I blame auto correct..... even though that’s how I typed it 😉
Reply 185
Original post by looloo2134
What is wrong with being a young single mother or for that matter a young single father? Nothing most single parents male or female are doing an amazing job of raising their children. Few are living of benefits most single parents are working full or part time. People become single parents for lot of different reasons their partner could have died for example.

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with single parent homes. The person I quoted brought it up in his argument as a way of suggesting that is why black people commit more crime than Asian people.
Original post by cherryred90s
You said:

I see the confusion. You think that is 'racist'. Here is the definition of racism:

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Or it could also be:

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Neither of which apply.

I do not believe everyone who is black is a gang member. Instead, I believe that they are more likely to be gang members(18 times more likely to be exact) and so 18 times as likely to be stopped and harmed by anti-gang activity than someone who is caucasian.

That's just math.

Does that make more sense?
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I see the confusion. You think that is 'racist'. Here is the definition of racism:

Or it could also be:

Neither of which apply.

I do not believe everyone who is black is a gang member. Instead, I believe that they are more likely to be gang members(18 times more likely to be exact) and so 18 times as likely to be stopped and harmed by anti-gang activity than someone who is caucasian.

That's just math.

Institutional racism:
“Can be seen or detected in processes, attitudes and behaviour which amount to discrimination through unwitting prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness and racist stereotyping which disadvantage minority ethnic people”.
How is your comment not a perfect example of this?

Or it could also be:

Neither of which apply.

That's just math.

But they're not 18 times more likely to be drug offenders, can't deny that whites have the privilege of a much higher level of freedom to use drugs, surely that's not an outcome you are happy with?
Institutional racism:
“Can be seen or detected in processes, attitudes and behaviour which amount to discrimination through unwitting prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness and racist stereotyping which disadvantage minority ethnic people”.
How is your comment not a perfect example of this?

It does not disadvantage minority ethnic people. It disadvantages minority ethnic criminals.

Those people should be disadvantaged. Because they are criminals.

That isn't racism - It's criminalism, to coin a phrase. It disadvantages criminals who, in this case, happen to be disproportionately of a certain race.

If you don't like the math, change it - Stop people of various ethnic groups from joining gangs and you will find that it changes literally everything.
Original post by the beer
But they're not 18 times more likely to be drug offenders, can't deny that whites have the privilege of a much higher level of freedom to use drugs, surely that's not an outcome you are happy with?

You mean drug dealers or drug users? A much greater argument would be the inappropriate sentencing of crack compared to cocaine users.
You mean drug dealers or drug users?

Both.

A much greater argument would be the inappropriate sentencing of crack compared to cocaine users.

Sure, that too.

So?
Original post by the beer
Both.

Sure, that too.

So?

Drug users should be low priority. I disagree very vocally(And have) with heavy sentencing. It exacerbates problems and leads those with tendencies towards drug use to have greater connections with other criminals.

As for drug dealers, gangs are disproportionately represented in the drugs game and so by cutting off gangs you can eliminate large portions of the drug trade
Original post by paul514
I largely agree with you, I personally think privilege usually only boils down to money and health.

I don’t think institutions are racist and I don’t think people are by enlarge either.

I see deficiencies of cultures and belief systems rather than someone who black or brown being beneath me. I think we see some of what I think in the chances of white working class boys being so poor for example.

I think the report Theresa May commissioned on this will highlight some issues in the coming months and years rather than just some headlines and it’s going to be difficult to get away from the fact that money is the driver behind these issues.

Me thinks you mistakenly quoted the wrong person here, mate.
It does not disadvantage minority ethnic people. It disadvantages minority ethnic criminals.

Those people should be disadvantaged. Because they are criminals.

That isn't racism - It's criminalism, to coin a phrase. It disadvantages criminals who, in this case, happen to be disproportionately of a certain race.

If you don't like the math, change it - Stop people of various ethnic groups from joining gangs and you will find that it changes literally everything.

why should minority ethnic criminals be more disadvantaged than white criminals?

If the police target ethnic minorities much more frequently than the majority, white people will have a greater chance of getting away with a crime and black people will have a greater chance of being arrested and imprisoned for a crime. Don’t you see that?
(edited 6 years ago)
why should minority ethnic criminals be more disadvantaged than white criminals?

If the police target ethnic minorities much more frequently than the majority, white people will have a greater chance of getting away with a crime and black people will have a greater chance of being arrested and imprisoned for a crime. Don’t you see that?

I... Am not sure how to respond to that. Mathematically, if we had enough police to police every single person at all times, if you were black you would have 18 times the chance of being arrested for gang related crimes than you would if you were caucasian. Just mathematically.

How can you not see that if you are 18 times more likely to be a criminal you should be 18 times more likely to be arrested?
I... Am not sure how to respond to that. Mathematically, if we had enough police to police every single person at all times, if you were black you would have 18 times the chance of being arrested for gang related crimes than you would if you were caucasian. Just mathematically.

How can you not see that if you are 18 times more likely to be a criminal you should be 18 times more likely to be arrested?

I like how you’ve now changed “18 times more likely to be in a gang” to “18 times more likely to be a criminal”

But honestly, if you think that there’s nothing wrong, prejudice or racist about an officer spotting a black person and thinking “that person is black so I’m going to stop them” then you’re part of the problem
I like how you’ve now changed “18 times more likely to be in a gang” to “18 times more likely to be a criminal”

But honestly, if you think that there’s nothing wrong, prejudice or racist about an officer spotting a black person and thinking “that person is black so I’m going to stop them” then you’re part of the problem

I'm glad that you like me conflating being in a gang with criminal activity.

If the reason the police officer is stopping them is because they're black, then absolutely that's a problem.

Can you prove that's why they're doing it? On the other hand, if they're in gang-controlled areas and think, "That guy is wearing gang colours in gang territory and acting suspiciously." then that is absolutely correct.

And if someone who is black is 18 times more likely to be in a gang, then they are 18 times more likely to be in gang colours in gang territory.

Perhaps you have some proof that the reason cops are stopping someone specifically because they're black and not because they're stopping people who appear suspicious?
I'm glad that you like me conflating being in a gang with criminal activity.

If the reason the police officer is stopping them is because they're black, then absolutely that's a problem.

Can you prove that's why they're doing it? On the other hand, if they're in gang-controlled areas and think, "That guy is wearing gang colours in gang territory and acting suspiciously." then that is absolutely correct.

And if someone who is black is 18 times more likely to be in a gang, then they are 18 times more likely to be in gang colours in gang territory.

Perhaps you have some proof that the reason cops are stopping someone specifically because they're black and not because they're stopping people who appear suspicious?

Show me where you read that black people are 18 times more likely to be a criminal. Gang membership alone isn’t a criminal offence.

Firstly, I never said that there’s anything wrong with stopping someone if you have genuine reason to believe that they have committed an offence. What I have a problem with is that you said that the police should stop a black person much more frequently than they would do a white person. That’s a prejudice and discriminatory way to think. You should never assume that someone is a criminal unless you have genuine reason to believe so, no matter what the statistics say.
Show me where you read that black people are 18 times more likely to be a criminal. Gang membership alone isn’t a criminal offence.

Firstly, I never said that there’s anything wrong with stopping someone if you have genuine reason to believe that they have committed an offence. What I have a problem with is that you said that the police should stop a black person much more frequently than they would do a white person. That’s a prejudice and discriminatory way to think. You should never assume that someone is a criminal unless you have genuine reason to believe so, no matter what the statistics say.

https://safe.met.police.uk/gangs_and_violence/consequences_and_the_law.html

But I honestly don't know what to say if you think statistics are meaningless. You can continue being offended that math is racist, and it honestly doesn't matter to me. If gang violence is a problem(And it is) and you are 18 times more likely to be part of a gang if you are black(And you are), then police tackling gang violence should be 18 times more likely to stop someone who is black when tackling gang violence.

And you can shout about 'Discriminatory' until the end of time. If a man who is carrying an unlicensed gun gets stopped and happens to be black, he should go to prison. If a man is acting as a drug runner and is stopped and happens to be black, he should go to prison. If your argument is that black criminals shouldn't be disadvantaged compared to white criminals, and that appears to be the case, I simply don't care.

Criminals should go to jail. And the ethnicity of the criminal isn't important to me. If someone is black and is committing violent crime or involved in illegal drug distribution, they should go to jail. Crying, "If I was white, you wouldn't have stopped me." is irrelevant. They wouldn't go to jail if they weren't committing a crime.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending