The Student Room Group

Liberals have declared war on reason

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
chill fam we kno u read 1984 smh
Original post by Airplanebee2
Hilarious - so bad saying race and gender are biological I am stating superiority / inferiority. Well just my luck because I didn’t make any statement about someone superior and someone inferior. You obviously associate nature such such statements so that’s between you and nature.

I was responding to the statement "[The Liberals] have declared that biology does not exist when it comes to race and gender choosing to state that these are “social construct”.

If one is coming from a liberal point of view that everyone regardless of gender or race is equal, I simply wish to know why biology has got anything to do with anything? For surely, if biology is relevant, there is some underlying determination that one set of people are somehow different and should therefore be treated differently. I disagree with this construct, biologically or otherwise. All should be treated equally in my [liberal] view.
Original post by ByEeek
I was responding to the statement "[The Liberals] have declared that biology does not exist when it comes to race and gender choosing to state that these are “social construct”.

If one is coming from a liberal point of view that everyone regardless of gender or race is equal, I simply wish to know why biology has got anything to do with anything? For surely, if biology is relevant, there is some underlying determination that one set of people are somehow different and should therefore be treated differently. I disagree with this construct, biologically or otherwise. All should be treated equally in my [liberal] view.

All should be treated equal, yes. Not many people disagree with this.

But all are not equal. Nature / biology does not create beings equally. So called Liberalism is trying to plaster over this and claim it’s not so by claiming things like race and gender are social constructs.
All should be treated equal, yes. Not many people disagree with this.

But all are not equal. Nature / biology does not create beings equally. So called Liberalism is trying to plaster over this and claim it’s not so by claiming things like race and gender are social constructs.

I agree that not all are equal. But we are human. We have massive brains. We are civilised. We can be altruistic. We stopped evolving on a survival of the fittest basis thousands if not millions of years ago.

So where do you draw the line? How should be more equal than others? Those who are physically stronger? Those who are more intellectual? Those who can solve a rubics cube in 5 seconds?

If you take the "we're not all equal" argument to its logical conclusion, it is fair to say that the world would only ever be run by knobs like Trump. After all, he is the epitome of an alpha male in all its patheticness. He is a poor leader, but is successful because his way is one of ruling by division and fear. In other words, his style of leadership is not far different from that of alpha males in monkeys, chimps, gorillas and other primates. As humans, we can do much much better than monkeys.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Rinsed
The problem (as ever with these people) is that they abuse a perfectly good, honourable word by appending new, inconsistent meanings. Most people still understand liberalism to be a good thing, which it is. So when people brand lefty neo-Marxist academics as 'liberal' it lends them a kudos they absolutely do not deserve. The fact that they aren't liberal in the slightest has fallen by the wayside somewhat.

But this is a typical postmodernist ploy. As far as they're concerned, words can mean whatever they want them to mean. If you argue that, actually, these words have widely-accepted meanings with long pedigrees you are probably a cultural fascist.

I would refer you to how they have taken widely accepted and understood words such as 'man' or 'woman' and given them new, self-inconsistent definitions unconnected to the real world which render them effectively meaningless.

I totally agree.

Original post by Maker
a bit too serious

Freedom is a serious issue for me, as taking down the statue of Nelson for SJWs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by M4cc4n4
The only thing here is that you proved yourself as a snowflake as you can't debate and can only try humour to validate your point. Go back to your Right wing safe space.

ah yes the left wing hate humour; it smells too much of freedom.
Original post by ByEeek
I agree that not all are equal. But we are human. We have massive brains. We are civilised. We can be altruistic. We stopped evolving on a survival of the fittest basis thousands if not millions of years ago.

So where do you draw the line? How should be more equal than others? Those who are physically stronger? Those who are more intellectual? Those who can solve a rubics cube in 5 seconds?

If you take the "we're not all equal" argument to its logical conclusion, it is fair to say that the world would only ever be run by knobs like Trump. After all, he is the epitome of an alpha male in all its patheticness. He is a poor leader, but is successful because his way is one of ruling by division and fear. In other words, his style of leadership is not far different from that of alpha males in monkeys, chimps, gorillas and other primates. As humans, we can do much much better than monkeys.

There is no such thing as a hierarchical organisation, there is always going to be a master / slave relationship, just nowadays the slave is free to walk away to be a slave somewhere else and doesn’t get whipped. Males are always going to be dominant. Females are always going to have children. Wealthy people will always have more options.

We cannot overrule nature, so There is no point investing logical frameworks and and accusations towards non-believers along these lines.
Males are always going to be dominant

And that is where you are going to be in for a shock in a few years time. Let us not forget that the leaders of all the UK nations, Britain, Wales, Scotland and NI are women. The leader of Germany is also a woman. We have also just said farewell to the US's first black President. I'm sorry but men like yourself are going to just have to get used to the fact that women and minorities have as much to offer if not more than the chauvinistic view that men are dominant and therefore born to lead. It is a view that is neither based on biology, science or anything else. The only reason men were able to dominate women and minorities was because we lived in a society where men's physical strength was the leveller.

We now live in a world that is much more based on image and content rather than physical power and force. With social media, people's opinions can be swayed by outsiders with little influence elsewhere. All bets are off when it comes to declaring who is going to come out on top. It is all to play for as Spain is about to discover.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ukrj
This indoctrination of children is absolutely sickening. I'm surprised the parents of these children haven't kicked up an enormous ****-storm over that school inviting a demonic ****** into the school. What does it tell you about school teachers who have allowed it to happen? Can we trust these teachers? What other filth are they putting into children's heads?

And I vehemently disagree with crossafley's comment which conflates this with the advent religion. Religion, for all its faults, gave us basic norms/rules in society based on the family. Both religion and family norms are under coordinated attack from some truly evil people who have enormous power, e.g. Harvey's Weinstein and his ilk.

We must stand up for truth and reason. We must not allow the morons to drown us out.

Get a grip. Children have been exposed to 'Drag Queens' for decades - pantomimes with the 'Dame', Lily Savage on family TV, etc.
Reply 29
>> Get a grip. Children have been exposed to 'Drag Queens' for decades - pantomimes with the 'Dame', Lily Savage on family TV, etc.

Oh really, were they dressed as demons with horns? Were they seeking to normalise demon worship? Have you not noticed the dozens of films on demonic topics?

Has lily savage had gender reassignment surgery- I actually don’t know. Having someone dress up as a drag queen for a bit of fun with parents present is one thing, but doing it like this in a classroom behind the backs of parents is evil.

I find your post insulting given the relatively serious nature of the topic.
(edited 6 years ago)
I consider that so called liberals have declared war on reason. They have declared that biology does not exist when it comes to race and gender choosing to state that these are “social construct”. This is because post-modern social science considers that historic and biology are prisons that cause inequality (Georgy Lukaks), and that we can now create our own reality by divorcing things from their own meaning (Jacques Derrida).

Liberals love arguing with intellectually incompetent people but as soon as a they are debating with an intellectually competent person, their tactic to to try and discredit, them ultimately censor by getting people banned or often jailed in the real world (for example jailing people for “offensive” tweets). In some case under the heading of stopping hate speech. Dissenters to their ideology cannot be tolerated simply because there is no logic in their ideology and so it does not stand up to reason. (An example is the right wing speakers being violently opposed at American universities). Therefore reason alone is not enough for liberals, they need to use force to win the argument.

One has to ask whether this these will even withstand the condemnation of liberals seeing their false ideology challenged.

The Conservative party are not conservatives. They are liberals who believe that race and gender are social constructs, that to say otherwise is hate speech, that there is no equivalence between the far-left and the far-right and generally criminalising “hate speech” and combating oppression by outing people who do prejudicial speech on the BBC.

The box that was invented to put these people in was the “tolerant left” but it’s tolerance in an Orwellian sense, complete intolerance of anything they dislike.

Race and gender are social constructs.

Genes are not (which determines your physical attributes and sex).

Environmental factors are the primary determinant of most aspects of a person.

Until there is a dna test which can determine your intelligence or your potential intelligence and then you test everyone in the world and then plot it on a scatter graph, all you can do is generalize and hypothesize.
Original post by ByEeek
And that is where you are going to be in for a shock in a few years time. Let us not forget that the leaders of all the UK nations, Britain, Wales, Scotland and NI are women. The leader of Germany is also a woman. We have also just said farewell to the US's first black President. I'm sorry but men like yourself are going to just have to get used to the fact that women and minorities have as much to offer if not more than the chauvinistic view that men are dominant and therefore born to lead. It is a view that is neither based on biology, science or anything else. The only reason men were able to dominate women and minorities was because we lived in a society where men's physical strength was the leveller.

We now live in a world that is much more based on image and content rather than physical power and force. With social media, people's opinions can be swayed by outsiders with little influence elsewhere. All bets are off when it comes to declaring who is going to come out on top. It is all to play for as Spain is about to discover.

Yes if someone gains this power in a political, economic or business sense then more power to them.

If doesn’t mean that we all need to suffer this brainwashing about how Southern American Christians are terrible whereas Muslims are brilliant or how you can criticise men but not women, whites but not blacks, and seen the force of law to stop transgressors.

If someone has made a lot of money regardless of who their are, their money speaks for itself. They will order a 20 bedroom house, enough said.
Original post by saayagain
Race and gender are social constructs.

Genes are not (which determines your physical attributes and sex).

Environmental factors are the primary determinant of most aspects of a person.

Until there is a dna test which can determine your intelligence or your potential intelligence and then you test everyone in the world and then plot it on a scatter graph, all you can do is generalize and hypothesize.

Race and gender are not social constructs. We know that genetics determine your gender and race. For example the X and Y chromosome determine gender.

Yes ones experiences go play a part in shaping personality. There is no doubt about it. Traditionally in the nature / nurture debate, it was said that ones person is formed 60% by nature and 40% by nurture. The balance between those two is debatable.

Race and gender are determined before you are even born when you could have had zero social influences. Therefore genetic factors are the primary factors.

It is simply disingenuous for those professors who claim to so say race and gender are social constructs when we know otherwise. The statement even leaves out anything to do with biology as if they are purely societal states. It’s just wrong and it’s part of an agenda, an Marxist agenda to separate people from biology and history because social Marxists like Herbert Marcuse or George Lukaks thought biology and history were prisons that caused inequalities.

If doesn’t mean that we all need to suffer this brainwashing about how Southern American Christians are terrible whereas Muslims are brilliant or how you can criticise men but not women, whites but not blacks, and seen the force of law to stop transgressors.

This is where is the argument is very misunderstood. There was a time not so long ago when it was perfectly acceptable not to criticise, but talk down to and belittle women, gay people, transgender people, black people etc etc. It is now unacceptable to belittle or talk down to anyone. It hasn't switched. It isn't the case that you can't be racist to blacks but it is ok to be racist to whites. You shouldn't be racist to anyone and nor should anyone be racist or sexist to you. It really is that simple.

Sure, there are some people or groups of people who feel differently to this, but the standard liberal view is that everyone is equal and should treat each other with respect. Is that really such a hard concept to understand?
Race and gender are not social constructs. We know that genetics determine your gender and race. For example the X and Y chromosome determine gender.

Yes ones experiences go play a part in shaping personality. There is no doubt about it. Traditionally in the nature / nurture debate, it was said that ones person is formed 60% by nature and 40% by nurture. The balance between those two is debatable.

Race and gender are determined before you are even born when you could have had zero social influences. Therefore genetic factors are the primary factors.

It is simply disingenuous for those professors who claim to so say race and gender are social constructs when we know otherwise. The statement even leaves out anything to do with biology as if they are purely societal states. It’s just wrong and it’s part of an agenda, an Marxist agenda to separate people from biology and history because social Marxists like Herbert Marcuse or George Lukaks thought biology and history were prisons that caused inequalities.

Gender and sex are two different things. Gender is socially derived. Sex is genetically derived (I.e X and Y chromosomes).

Listen.

What's the point of identifying people by race? It is so that people can begin to attribute other characteristics to the racial group and create stereotypes and generalizations which have no basis.

I.e. Racial group X has a tendency to be violent and brutish. It's in their nature. It's genetic. They are inferior. Kill them.

That is essentially the purpose of differentiating by race.

lol

Anyway...go and develop a scientific test which uses DNA to determine potential intelligence and personality traits etc etc. Until you do that, keep ignoring my points.
Original post by usualsuspects
It's better to die free fighting against fascism than to survive as oppressed people, having sacrificed our freedoms in order to win the fight...

Spoken like a true keyboard warrior.
Males are always going to be dominant.

Yeah no. Partriachal vs Matriachal leadership is very much dependant on social attitudes.

They determine sex, when people talk of gender being a social construct it's focused on gender roles, what society expects of a woman/man, not what's between your legs.
Reply 37
Original post by Economics Legend
Spoken like a true keyboard warrior.

I'd say the same if we had a vis a vis discussion.
Original post by saayagain
Gender and sex are two different things. Gender is socially derived. Sex is genetically derived (I.e X and Y chromosomes).

Listen.

What's the point of identifying people by race? It is so that people can begin to attribute other characteristics to the racial group and create stereotypes and generalizations which have no basis.

I.e. Racial group X has a tendency to be violent and brutish. It's in their nature. It's genetic. They are inferior. Kill them.

That is essentially the purpose of differentiating by race.

lol

Anyway...go and develop a scientific test which uses DNA to determine potential intelligence and personality traits etc etc. Until you do that, keep ignoring my points.

Sexologist John Money observed that the term "gender role" appeared to describe a new clinic for transsexuals in 1966 and the term soon became language. Money then went on to say that gender identity disorder is sub-divisible into genetic, prenatal hormonal, postnatal social, and post-pubertal hormonal determinants, but there is, as yet, no comprehensive and detailed theory of causality.

It is a state where the natural gender assignment and body characteristics are incorrectly decoded by the brain or psyche leaving a dissonance between ones natural properties and perception of oneself.

As to your other point, race and intelligence, the matter has been studied with considerable depth over many generations up to the present date and a huge volume of information exists on the topic. I cannot discuss it because it’s a taboo subject and probably discussion of it will not be permissible on this forum. You can read it online.

I think you have expressed my sentiment for me and put it very well when you said that identifying people by race is perceived as oppression. It’s a political blocker to such discussion. Myself personally, I am interested in objectivity not “political truths”.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
This is where is the argument is very misunderstood. There was a time not so long ago when it was perfectly acceptable not to criticise, but talk down to and belittle women, gay people, transgender people, black people etc etc. It is now unacceptable to belittle or talk down to anyone. It hasn't switched. It isn't the case that you can't be racist to blacks but it is ok to be racist to whites. You shouldn't be racist to anyone and nor should anyone be racist or sexist to you. It really is that simple.

Sure, there are some people or groups of people who feel differently to this, but the standard liberal view is that everyone is equal and should treat each other with respect. Is that really such a hard concept to understand?

Oh come on, you must be aware of things like Ken Livinstone’s aide “Black people cant be racist”, the spate of “dear white people” statements from various places such as MTV, the American professor Noel Ignatiev who wants to “abolish the social construct known as white people”, the vast numbers of celebrities who make anti-white statements and the double standards of prejudice when it comes to the ethnic status of white people v. The ethnic status of other peoples in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending