The Student Room Group

How do you cope with tough days?

Sometimes I have really tough days where I struggle with loneliness even if I’m surrounded my my whole network of family and friends, I feel like a burden, or I feel like my feelings are invalid and my motivation vanished. Luckily, over the years I’ve managed to muster up some techniques to cope with these days.

SO ~ I’m putting myself out here to say, if anyone is feeling low, or feeling lonely, or sad, or even happy about something, i am here, I care and I am a very good listener and friend to those who need me.

If anyone ever needs anyone to ramble at or vent emotions with, shoot me a message and I’m always happy to chat and help where/If I can! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I try to watch YouTubers like Casey Neistat and Alphie Days and Taylor R to cheer me up and well as doing self care things like putting on makeup and wearing face masks!
I cope by just unplugging myself from everything, I put down my phone and open my window and stare at the sky for a while, sounds really cheesy but it always grounds me and gives me perspective on how much bigger life is than whether or not I went out with my friends etc. When I'm lonely I actually go out of my way to not be around other people because that ends up amplifying the feeling, I just need some me time :smile:
Spending sprees usually work, for a while. Then I have lots of new things to briefly distract me from the yawning void...

A dollar a day keeps the depression away!

I have really unhealthy coping mechanisms, people probably shouldn't do this.
I cope by looking at a yearly calander. Then I realise life is short because I feel like summer holiday was yesterday and get back to studying cos life is short
Reply 5
I cope by turning to Allah, my Creator.
Reading the Qur’an,praying and supplicating to Allah. Allah is sufficient for me so when I remember Him (my Creator), I do not feel lonely at all.

I try to do something positive eg help someone, reflect (reflect on nature at times too) and remind myself that this life is temporary and so will be my tough days. Therefore I just remind myself to remain patient and hopeful (although sometimes it’s quite tough to do so but God willing there’s good reward for trying)
Sometimes I talk to my mum or a close friend. I think I do approach some tough situations differently than other situations though but will always turn to Allah first- it’s just so natural for me.

“Indeed, he who fears Allah and is patient, then indeed, Allah does not allow to be lost the reward of those who do good.” (Qur’an 12:90)

“Verily, with remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest”. (Qur’an 13:28)

I may find myself listening to this too once in a while:
https://youtu.be/fDZ85ETBAXY

Btw that’s really nice of you OP :smile:
Original post by Gabrielle01
Sometimes I have really tough days where I struggle with loneliness even if I’m surrounded my my whole network of family and friends, I feel like a burden, or I feel like my feelings are invalid and my motivation vanished. Luckily, over the years I’ve managed to muster up some techniques to cope with these days.

SO ~ I’m putting myself out here to say, if anyone is feeling low, or feeling lonely, or sad, or even happy about something, i am here, I care and I am a very good listener and friend to those who need me.

If anyone ever needs anyone to ramble at or vent emotions with, shoot me a message and I’m always happy to chat and help where/If I can! :smile:

I'm pretty my mental hp sucks and im probably hurting myself by doing it but i dont' do much at all. I literally do all the things which are bad for you. like comfort eating, mcdonalds, gaming sitting around lazing doing nothing and generally just enjoying myself in the things(minimal) which are possible and that i do like maybe even music once in a while
Reply 7
Original post by will'o'wisp2
I'm pretty my mental hp sucks and im probably hurting myself by doing it but i dont' do much at all. I literally do all the things which are bad for you. like comfort eating, mcdonalds, gaming sitting around lazing doing nothing and generally just enjoying myself in the things(minimal) which are possible and that i do like maybe even music once in a while

It’s those ‘stereotypical’ comforts that ground our minds in times where they need grounding and support, I like eating pizza and listening to the rain on the windows when I’m low for example. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by h333
I cope by turning to Allah, my Creator.
Reading the Qur’an,praying and supplicating to Allah. Allah is sufficient for me so when I remember Him (my Creator), I do not feel lonely at all.

I try to do something positive eg help someone, reflect (reflect on nature at times too) and remind myself that this life is temporary and so will be my tough days. Therefore I just remind myself to remain patient and hopeful (although sometimes it’s quite tough to do so but God willing there’s good reward for trying)
Sometimes I talk to my mum or a close friend. I think I do approach some tough situations differently than other situations though but will always turn to Allah first- it’s just so natural for me.

“Indeed, he who fears Allah and is patient, then indeed, Allah does not allow to be lost the reward of those who do good.” (Qur’an 12:90)

“Verily, with remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest”. (Qur’an 13:28)

I may find myself listening to this too once in a while:
https://youtu.be/fDZ85ETBAXY

Btw that’s really nice of you OP :smile:

That sounds wonderful! ⭐️
Reply 9
Original post by Seungy_Han
I cope by looking at a yearly calander. Then I realise life is short because I feel like summer holiday was yesterday and get back to studying cos life is short

Sure fire way to stay motivated! You’re a pro :smile:
It’s those ‘stereotypical’ comforts that ground our minds in times where they need grounding and support, I like eating pizza and listening to the rain on the windows when I’m low for example. :smile:

do it, this is exactly why im failing to keep up with my notes and feel like im failing uni already but it keeps me sane i guess instead of going out and stabbing my annoying flatmate uh i mean just breakign down and being a potato and pushing everyone away.

Spoiler

Original post by artful_lounger
Spending sprees usually work, for a while. Then I have lots of new things to briefly distract me from the yawning void...

A dollar a day keeps the depression away!

I have really unhealthy coping mechanisms, people probably shouldn't do this.

Those little short time impulses, if used in moderation, can be the things that help us through the long term struggles, there’s no shame in that! ❤️
Really really tough? I might cry a lot under my duvet in a dark room or I would literally talk to myself about life OR have an even more of a tough day so no time to deal with anything
I don't cope.
Original post by Emerald777O
Really really tough? I might cry a lot under my duvet in a dark room or I would literally talk to myself about life OR have an even more of a tough day so no time to deal with anything

I can relate to that 100%, stay curious and hopeful about what wonders the world has in store for you, and everything will be okay again.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I don't cope.

You’re alive and breathing, that’s coping, you’re doing well my love. ❤️
Reply 16
That sounds wonderful! ⭐️

I can relate to that 100%, stay curious and hopeful about what wonders the world has in store for you, and everything will be okay again.

Thank you, that's sweet 😊
You’re alive and breathing, that’s coping, you’re doing well my love. ❤️

Thank you ❤️
Original post by will'o'wisp2
do it, this is exactly why im failing to keep up with my notes and feel like im failing uni already but it keeps me sane i guess instead of going out and stabbing my annoying flatmate uh i mean just breakign down and being a potato and pushing everyone away.

Spoiler

Take it in small steps. Try to find small comforts outside of your home or your room and follow them, you’ll find more and more comfortable situations that you can grow in to, it’s gonna be okay!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending