The Student Room Group

Do league tables genuinely matter?

I recently went to a good university for an open day, and then a law taster day, which I did enjoy but I didn't 100% love it. It has gone down 7 places in the league tables for law and is now 20-something, i wanted to go to one in the top 10. I have got the grades to get in to the best ones if I try my hardest in the interview (I'm having a gap year so have my results already) and don't want to feel like I'm selling myself short if I go to a uni not ranked as highly.
In short, is it crucial to look at league tables or can they be taken with a pinch of salt?
For law is it not true that the uni you go to is looked at more so than anything else, when you go to get a job later on?
Would I be limiting my chances of success in jobs if I go to a uni lower down the league table?
Would there be a genuine reason as to why it fell 7 places in one year or are they quite unreliable? I did ask at the open day (an awkward question to ask!!!) and obviously they just skirted around the subject.
Original post by javvyjingle
I recently went to a good university for an open day, and then a law taster day, which I did enjoy but I didn't 100% love it. It has gone down 7 places in the league tables for law and is now 20-something, i wanted to go to one in the top 10. I have got the grades to get in to the best ones if I try my hardest in the interview (I'm having a gap year so have my results already) and don't want to feel like I'm selling myself short if I go to a uni not ranked as highly.
In short, is it crucial to look at league tables or can they be taken with a pinch of salt?
For law is it not true that the uni you go to is looked at more so than anything else, when you go to get a job later on?
Would I be limiting my chances of success in jobs if I go to a uni lower down the league table?
Would there be a genuine reason as to why it fell 7 places in one year or are they quite unreliable? I did ask at the open day (an awkward question to ask!!!) and obviously they just skirted around the subject.

League tables rank based upon a set methodology with weight given to certain metrics. They only matter if the methodology and weightings are measuring and prioritising things that are important to you.
Generally the reputation of the Uni is more important than the rep of a specific department.

For instance a Cambridge 2.1 (Land Economy (**** degree) is still better than a 2.1 in Law from Sheffield - you'd have a higher prospect of qualifying into an MC type firm.

Of course reputations matter - as a matter of word of mouth. No one's reading the Times Higher Education list as a Partner in a law firm. A categoric RG Uni is better than a poly which beats it by 2 places for 1 year.

Furthermore it's pointless unless you tell me what Uni you'll be studying at and what area of law you want to go into.
Original post by PQ
League tables rank based upon a set methodology with weight given to certain metrics. They only matter if the methodology and weightings are measuring and prioritising things that are important to you.

And indeed that the data set inputted is reliable or contemporaneous, which often it is not.

Original post by James1997c
Generally the reputation of the Uni is more important than the rep of a specific department.

For instance a Cambridge 2.1 (Land Economy (**** degree) is still better than a 2.1 in Law from Sheffield - you'd have a higher prospect of qualifying into an MC type firm.

Of course reputations matter - as a matter of word of mouth. No one's reading the Times Higher Education list as a Partner in a law firm. A categoric RG Uni is better than a poly which beats it by 2 places for 1 year.

Furthermore it's pointless unless you tell me what Uni you'll be studying at and what area of law you want to go into.

Sloppy logic, as the specific Land Economy course is still "better" than the Sheffield law course. In terms of competitiveness of entry, academic rigour, benefits from the supervision system at Cambridge. Take the example of Manchester: the uni is a good RG but by no means exceptional, though it is well-known and highly prestigious for a bunch of physics and maths courses. Recruiters taking in STEM students are well aware of Manchester's narrow pedigree for those courses.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
And indeed that the data set inputted is reliable or contemporaneous, which often it is not.

Sloppy logic, as the specific Land Economy course is still "better" than the Sheffield law course. In terms of competitiveness of entry, academic rigour, benefits from the supervision system at Cambridge. Take the example of Manchester: the uni is a good RG but by no means exceptional, though it is well-known and highly prestigious for a bunch of physics and maths courses. Recruiters taking in STEM students are well aware of Manchester's narrow pedigree for those courses.

"Sloppy logic" - these are observations from the real world. Including from one of my friends who studies LE there. You're literally just using examples to reinforce what I've already said. Nice one.
"Sloppy logic" - these are observations from the real world. Including from one of my friends who studies LE there. You're literally just using examples to reinforce what I've already said. Nice one.

I love it when 12-year-olds think using "literally" makes their argument eloquent.

No, I literally said that the specific course rep is more important than the uni-wide brand. The fact you were confused by that, which I thought was rather simple, tells us all why it is your friend doing LE at Cantab and not you.
tells us all why it is your friend doing LE at Cantab and not you.

Loooool. This is why I always check out threads where Notorious replies.
I love it when 12-year-olds think using "literally" makes their argument eloquent.

No, I literally said that the specific course rep is more important than the uni-wide brand. The fact you were confused by that, which I thought was rather simple, tells us all why it is your friend doing LE at Cantab and not you.

> Be Notorious_B.I.G
> Calls someone a "12 year old"
> Most likely first time on the internet
> Likely virgin
> Thinks he's smart when he's literally literally a literal loser
>Probably studies at an ex-poly
Original post by J-SP
I really wouldn't say Land Economy at Cambridge is better than Law at Sheffield. If anything Land Economy has a pretty poor reputation (out of all the courses at Cambridge anyway), although unfairly.

Exactly. Excuse the posters who actually know nothing about prestige like Notorious. Just a lil Cambridge fan-boy.
Original post by mjustliving
Loooool. This is why I always check out threads where Notorious replies.

Yeah he definitely spends all his time on this site. Tragic guy lmao.
Notorious studies at a mid range Uni. He's overcompensating.
Second grade intellect. Naughty.
Only to credulous imbeciles.
Notorious studies at a mid range Uni. He's overcompensating.
Second grade intellect. Naughty.

If I didn't know better, I would say you were upset.
Original post by Profesh
Only to credulous imbeciles.

Sshh please don't talk about yourself in that way Profesh :love:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending