The Student Room Group

Non law degree for good law career prospects

Yh basically, I want to do a law degree at uni but only at 4 particular unis. If I don’t meet my offer for these unis, **** clearing I’m just gonna do a different degree altogether. I was wondering, seeing as 50% of lawyers , even in the magic circle, do not hold law degrees, what would be a good degree to do as an alternative and would still leave me open to opportunities to magic circle firms and the likes. Ideally I want to do law undergraduate but If not , it is what it is.
Thanks in advance for any responses

Btw I do : History, Business and Sociology A level and I honestly love each of my subjects equally
(edited 6 years ago)
You can do a degree in a lot of subjects and then do a law conversion course afterwards. A lot of people I knew who did humanities took this route. You can find something that you enjoy and get a good degree, and then do a law conversion course. It is also a good idea to get some related work experience as well.
What four universities?
Original post by WaveyOmar
Yh basically, I want to do a law degree at uni but only at 4 particular unis. If I don’t meet my offer for these unis, **** clearing I’m just gonna do a different degree altogether. I was wondering, seeing as 50% of lawyers , even in the magic circle, do not hold law degrees, what would be a good degree to do as an alternative and would still leave me open to opportunities to magic circle firms and the likes. Ideally I want to do law undergraduate but If not , it is what it is.

Btw I do : History, Business and Sociology A level and I honestly love each of my subjects equally

A degree you enjoy then, like History or maybe Business and Management
My cousin's friend got a 1st class honours in his history degree and is now doing an internship with a law firm
Reply 5
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
What four universities?

I’m predicted ABB so Warwick(contextual), Exeter ,Leeds and Kent
Reply 6

Relative a trainee in the MC ; they did an English degree ( Oxbridge ) . You are right in that a huge number of MC lawyers did not do a law degree . Amongst other trainees there are History , Medicine and Physics , however , most are from Oxbridge . Do something you will love and do well at . Worth mentioning that the MC usually have an AAB ‘A’ level cut off point .
Reply 7
What four universities?

Reply 8
Original post by Albcat28
Relative a trainee in the MC ; they did an English degree ( Oxbridge ) . You are right in that a huge number of MC lawyers did not do a law degree . Amongst other trainees there are History , Medicine and Physics , however , most are from Oxbridge . Do something you will love and do well at . Worth mentioning that the MC usually have an AAB ‘A’ level cut off point .

Yh the statistics say that around 50% of mc associates are oxbridge graduates but I think of that 50% the majority are non law degree holders 😒

Why only them? Wait, do you have these offers?
Reply 10
Why only them? Wait, do you have these offers?

The reasons are specific to myself but mainly those 4 because of career prospects and location(not so much tho)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending