The Student Room Group

What are your biggest fears?

Scroll to see replies

Trypophobia <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< spiders << tight spaces < clowns <<<<<< heights ( if there is nothing to hold on to) < cats
Reply 21
Running out of gravy.
When were born, we are programmed with two fears: one of loud noises and the other is of falling. This means any other fear is created as you develop. For example, a fear of spiders could be the negative effect they have on others around you? So every fear other than these are irrational fears, as you go out of your way to avoid them, and build up a constant negative excuse as why they are frightening.

My phobia is of wasps...I can’t eat outside of walk past hedges or bins, and I hate flowers...it’s now progressed to any buzzing insect, which is very embarrassing in public!
Original post by UWS
I have a fear of lifts but I've started taking steps to avoid it.

Better to try fight it over time than to avoid your fear
Living an average life.
Reply 25
There are recent studies that suggest aversion to spiders is innate. Same for trypophobia, which'd make it non-phobic, actually.
I always say that I’m scared of heights but in reality I’m scared of the height because i have a fear of falling.
Original post by Emerald777O
Omg same! My hba1c is quite high atm and I'm also at a risk of getting it. Very very terrifying. Or even losing my legs. Don't know what I'd do . And I'm not even doing anything about it

It's really scary. :console:

I had to pick up a blood sugar monitor and all the stuff to go with it from the pharmacy and cried beforehand because just the thought scared me so much. :colondollar: Part of me never wants to test my blood and hide away from the whole idea but the other part knows I'm doing the right thing by trying to be more aware of the problem before it gets out of hand. I would recommend you go talk to your GP. :hugs:
Original post by Sabertooth
It's really scary. :console:

I had to pick up a blood sugar monitor and all the stuff to go with it from the pharmacy and cried beforehand because just the thought scared me so much. :colondollar: Part of me never wants to test my blood and hide away from the whole idea but the other part knows I'm doing the right thing by trying to be more aware of the problem before it gets out of hand. I would recommend you go talk to your GP. :hugs:

I know the feeling so well but you'll get used to pricking your fingers every so often. So is it type 1 or 2 that you may be at the risk of getting? ive spoken to a lot of people and tbh, I just don't take in anything they say. But I really do hope nothing happens to ya!! Thanks :biggrin:
I know the feeling so well but you'll get used to pricking your fingers every so often. So is it type 1 or 2 that you may be at the risk of getting? ive spoken to a lot of people and tbh, I just don't take in anything they say. But I really do hope nothing happens to ya!! Thanks :biggrin:

Type 2. I take antipsychotics which can cause people to develop it, plus have a load of other risk factors. I have to test my blood again on Sunday and I'm already dreading doing it. :sigh:

How come you don't take it in? Just kinda hoping the problem goes away if you ignore it? I can relate to wanting that too.
Type 2. I take antipsychotics which can cause people to develop it, plus have a load of other risk factors. I have to test my blood again on Sunday and I'm already dreading doing it. :sigh:

How come you don't take it in? Just kinda hoping the problem goes away if you ignore it? I can relate to wanting that too.

Are you scared of injections???

Yepp:frown: I just can't ever do anything right.
Are you scared of injections???

Yepp:frown: I just can't ever do anything right.

I'm not at all scared of injections. I'm anxious about it because it means once more facing this horrible idea that I might develop diabetes. I think we feel pretty similar - I just want to stick my head in the sand and ignore the whole idea and anything that reminds me makes me feel ****.

:hugs: It can be really difficult to face facts, I know I'm trying myself ( :colondollar: ) but have you tried taking a few first steps? You don't need to be testing your blood every day or anything maybe just try to fit more vegetables into your diet to start with. Even something really easy like some carrots with your lunch or something?
I'm not at all scared of injections. I'm anxious about it because it means once more facing this horrible idea that I might develop diabetes. I think we feel pretty similar - I just want to stick my head in the sand and ignore the whole idea and anything that reminds me makes me feel ****.

:hugs: It can be really difficult to face facts, I know I'm trying myself ( :colondollar: ) but have you tried taking a few first steps? You don't need to be testing your blood every day or anything maybe just try to fit more vegetables into your diet to start with. Even something really easy like some carrots with your lunch or something?

Omd no, I already have it! I'm just scared of getting blind from it. I test my blood sugars every day and it's a mess because I don't take my insulin every time. That's why my hba1c is like 60 atm. Used to be a lot more. Take care of yourself!

It's really not that easy. Taking the insulin part is the hardest for me. The consistency is the issue. I know it can be really scary and at this time, it's really important to have people who will support you throughout and I'm sure your wife will do just that. Are your blood sugars okay?
Omd no, I already have it! I'm just scared of getting blind from it. I test my blood sugars every day and it's a mess because I don't take my insulin every time. That's why my hba1c is like 60 atm. Used to be a lot more. Take care of yourself!

It's really not that easy. Taking the insulin part is the hardest for me. The consistency is the issue. I know it can be really scary and at this time, it's really important to have people who will support you throughout and I'm sure your wife will do just that. Are your blood sugars okay?

Oh no. I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were at risk of getting it. :colondollar: I know managing diabetes isn't as simple as increasing vegetables, I meant that just as like a first step until you can motivate yourself to speak to someone if you were only at risk. I'm so sorry. :console: Do you have type 1 or 2? The consistency is what scares me, like having to do it so many times rather than just eating whatever and knowing everything is fine, like having to keep checking - there always being that worry in your mind.

The readings I've taken so far have been in the normal range, which is a huge relief but both were after food so on Sunday I plan on trying before breakfast to see how that effects things.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh no. I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were at risk of getting it. :colondollar: I know managing diabetes isn't as simple as increasing vegetables, I meant that just as like a first step until you can motivate yourself to speak to someone if you were only at risk. I'm so sorry. :console: Do you have type 1 or 2? The consistency is what scares me, like having to do it so many times rather than just eating whatever and knowing everything is fine, like having to keep checking - there always being that worry in your mind.

The readings I've taken so far have been in the normal range, which is a huge relief but both were after food so on Sunday I plan on trying before breakfast to see how that effects things.

Haha it's okay. I mean they've told me everything in need to know, they keep telling me to start carbohydrate counting but it's too much. It sounds so complicated and I have to take 1827 steps before I eat. They said it'll help me lose weight but idk. Type 1. Omg I totally understand :frown: but that's just life I guess smh. Let's just hope it doesn't get to that point for you.

You should probably try all 4 times (breakfast, lunch , dinner and bedtime) so you get the feel of your blood sugars
People. I hate people.
Haha it's okay. I mean they've told me everything in need to know, they keep telling me to start carbohydrate counting but it's too much. It sounds so complicated and I have to take 1827 steps before I eat. They said it'll help me lose weight but idk. Type 1. Omg I totally understand :frown: but that's just life I guess smh. Let's just hope it doesn't get to that point for you.

You should probably try all 4 times (breakfast, lunch , dinner and bedtime) so you get the feel of your blood sugars

Oh I see. Do you have a pet or someone you could walk with? It sounds really frustrating having to take all those steps before eating, I just thought maybe if you have someone to do it with it might be easier? Like I sat down with my wife last night and told her "we're eating less carbs and exercising more from now on and btw that includes you" and she agreed, I think she will hopefully make that easier for me. Are there any support groups in your area perhaps? Though they might be full of older people...:unsure:

My doctor told me to measure it once a week but didn't specify what time of day. He didn't really explain much at all which made everything even more scary. :frown: Do you mean before or after those meals?
Oh I see. Do you have a pet or someone you could walk with? It sounds really frustrating having to take all those steps before eating, I just thought maybe if you have someone to do it with it might be easier? Like I sat down with my wife last night and told her "we're eating less carbs and exercising more from now on and btw that includes you" and she agreed, I think she will hopefully make that easier for me. Are there any support groups in your area perhaps? Though they might be full of older people...:unsure:

My doctor told me to measure it once a week but didn't specify what time of day. He didn't really explain much at all which made everything even more scary. :frown: Do you mean before or after those meals?

Oh when I meant steps I mean like I have to do so much stuff before I eat like inject, take blood sugar, weigh the food like how am I meant to do all this when I just want a frappe from McDonald's?? There are support groups but for disabled diabetic people and I just don't fit with anyone there. I haven't been to one but I'm way too shy for that. Having a diabetic friend would be quite nice but no nobody would make it easier for me.

Definitely before and I really do suggest you go back to the doctor or speak to a diabetic nurse!!!
Oh when I meant steps I mean like I have to do so much stuff before I eat like inject, take blood sugar, weigh the food like how am I meant to do all this when I just want a frappe from McDonald's?? There are support groups but for disabled diabetic people and I just don't fit with anyone there. I haven't been to one but I'm way too shy for that. Having a diabetic friend would be quite nice but no nobody would make it easier for me.

Definitely before and I really do suggest you go back to the doctor or speak to a diabetic nurse!!!

:facepalm: Sorry I'm being really slow with you. I did find it an oddly specific number of steps to take, I thought it was some weird weight loss thing :tongue: My bad! :colondollar:

Yeah, that's what bugs me about diabetes, like how people without it just eat and that's it no worries and eating is such a necessary part of daily life. That really sucks you have to do all that just to have a frappe! I feel so bad for you I'm sorry. :hugs: How old are you? Are you at university or anything? I met a guy with type 1 diabetes during my first semester a couple of years ago (he drank a lot of diet coke!) at a society meeting so if you're not at university yet you might yet be able to make a diabetic friend through uni.

Thanks for the tip. I'll measure it Sunday and note everything down. I'm seeing my doctor in a little over a week so I will talk to him then.
Reply 39
Awkward situations and humiliation.
Talking to people.
Elevators, being trapped in small rooms.
Spiders.
My upcoming English Literature exams.

Quick Reply

Latest