The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

The 'Ask a King's College London (KCL) Student' Thread!

So slightly copying the idea of some of the other university sections (:ninja:), I've decided to start up this thread too.

Simply put, I am a current KCL student, beginning postgraduate studies this September 2018. My journey through KCL has been a wild one, given my history here. I've studied EMDP medicine, switched to Biomedical Sciences, graduated that with a high 2:1, and now am on to my Masters in Psychiatric Research.

With all this said, I am happy to answer any specific questions regarding the university. Things like 'would I get in with these grades' are best left in the applications thread, as you'll most likely get a more detailed answer. I also won't be answering specific questions regarding why I switched course, since the answer will always just be 'personal/health issues leading to failing by 1%'.

If you're a current KCL student, feel free to jump in and answer some questions too! :biggrin: I'll keep a list of current KCL students below so that people can tag specific users if they like.

Current KCL Students:
MrDystopia - MSc Psychiatric Research
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just a host of personal and health issues that ultimately led to me failing by 1%. And yes, I was in that exact situation in that they accepted my transfer straight into the second year of Biomedical Sciences. Given I'd done loads in medicine both myself and the school agreed starting in first year would be a waste of everyone's time :tongue:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
That was what I failed! This of course went through the entire appeals process and everything but was ultimately not to be. It certainly makes for an interesting story nonetheless, and honestly looking back it's now for the best, as I'm much happier now than I was hen studying medicine.
Good luck with the course, are you happy to be going down the Economics route?
Do you have any tips or advice for an aspiring medic at kcl?

what sort of things do you think they look for in a personal statement or review?
Reply 5
Is Kcl as hard to get into as people say? Also what is KCL like socially?
Reply 6
I have a question: how flexible is KCL undergraduate admissions with the entry requirements? Do they accept applicants with slightly lower grades than posted on their website (in my case A*AA for law) or are they very strict with them?
Original post by Appazap
Is Kcl as hard to get into as people say? Also what is KCL like socially?

Being in the centre of London, socially it's pretty awesome. A wealth of societies to fit your interests, ability to mingle amongst so many places in Central with your friends, a very fond love of gin..very much a social place.

Original post by august.
I have a question: how flexible is KCL undergraduate admissions with the entry requirements? Do they accept applicants with slightly lower grades than posted on their website (in my case A*AA for law) or are they very strict with them?

It really depends on a year by year basis. If they find not many people applying they'll potentially be more lenient. Similarly, if they give out offers but a lot of people actually miss the offer, they may lower the requirements slightly (say if you miss you offer by 1 grade or something). On the other hand, if everyone is matching their offers/the course is receiving a ton of applicants, then they can afford to be more selective and thus will be more stringent on the grades.

Sadly, there's no real definitive answer.
Reply 8
Do they kick a lot of people off the medicine course? Do they offer second / third chances or is it quite ruthless
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
I applied for MSci physics. Got an offer but now want to change to bsc physics. Is it possible to do so before the course begins and if it is who should i contact?
Hi I'm a current EMDP student and I was wondering how you found the first two years as I am a bit worried about the gap between FBS1 and GBE/FBS2
Reply 11
I applied for EMDP at King’s and was wondering how long they took to get back to you and what were the interviews like?
I'm currently deciding between Queen Mary University, King's and Exeter to study History.
What would you the :
1) social scene is like
2) lecturers are like (are they passionate about their subjects?)
3) students around are like (can you have debate with people? People are super apathetic where I'm from, and I'm so excited with people who will actually challenge me intellectually, you know?)

Thank you so much! It's so fab that you're making this thread for us!
Hello! I am a student from the US and am seriously considering accepting my offer at KCL. The only thing I am worried about is the social scene, being that the school in very urban and not so "campusy". Can you describe your experience with this type of environment- the pros and cons perhaps, as well as what the social scene consists of (societies, clubbing, parties, etc.) ? Thanks so much!
Original post by MrDystopia
So slightly copying the idea of some of the other university sections (:ninja:), I've decided to start up this thread too.

Simply put, I am a current KCL student, beginning postgraduate studies this September 2018. My journey through KCL has been a wild one, given my history here. I've studied EMDP medicine, switched to Biomedical Sciences, graduated that with a high 2:1, and now am on to my Masters in Psychiatric Research.

With all this said, I am happy to answer any specific questions regarding the university. Things like 'would I get in with these grades' are best left in the applications thread, as you'll most likely get a more detailed answer. I also won't be answering specific questions regarding why I switched course, since the answer will always just be 'personal/health issues leading to failing by 1%'.

If you're a current KCL student, feel free to jump in and answer some questions too! :biggrin: I'll keep a list of current KCL students below so that people can tag specific users if they like.

Current KCL Students:

Hi there!
Did you make kings your firm offer, also do kings give unconditional offers. Its such a good uni:smile:
Being in the centre of London, socially it's pretty awesome. A wealth of societies to fit your interests, ability to mingle amongst so many places in Central with your friends, a very fond love of gin..very much a social place.

Which societies (if any) did you join? And how active are they?
Which campus are biological sciences taught on in year 1?
How affordable is life in London as a student?
How busy is the workload for biological sciences in year 1 (if you know?)
Do you need to get an Oyster card?Rail pass? Or are most thing walking distances and not worth getting it?
Heyy do you know when the offer holder day/ applicant visit day is ?

Current KCL Students:

Hi! I got an interview for undergraduate course of Dentistry in KCL! I am really happy and excited about this opportunity, however I do not have much information how MMI looks like in KCL in particular :frown: Could you tell me anything about that perhpas? Or maybe any of your friends study Dentristry at KCL?

I don't have the opportunity to be preapred for that by some institution, so i would really appreciate any advice or contact with dentistry student at KCL.

Thanks in advance
Heyy! Congratulations to everyone who already have offers!!

I was just wondering, if the accomodation is reasonably priced (being a London uni).
Like I’m kind of put off paying £150 a week for the cheapest accommodation :/

Also how easy is it getting a part time job? Is it possible to have in-campus jobs where the hours are flexible to fit your uni schedule instead of vice versa?

Thanks! :smile:
What type of person would you say suits biomedical sciences? (As in, interests within biology and chemistry) I’m thinking of doing it for 2019 entry but I don’t know if disease is for me (even though I think it is). Also, is there a good balance between lab work and written work? (as I think I’d like to do more lab-y things without doing a chemistry undergrad degree!) Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest