The Student Room Group

Biology homeostasis questions (help)

can someone help me with this (true or false - need corrections)

- only endotherms maintain body temp by homeostasis
- ectotherms cannot detect changes in external temp
- both endotherms and ectotherms show behavioural responses to change in body temp
- only endotherms show physiological responses to change in temp
Reply 1
- Edit: after thinking about it, both ectotherms and endotherms want to maintain homeostasis, but it's more of a state, not a mechanism. So you can say this statement is false. Sorry, using the word "by" confused me a bit lol.
- I wouldn't say ectotherms can't detect changes in external temp, they have to be able to in order to change their behaviour accordingly. I'd say second statement is false.
- Yes, both endotherms and ectotherms show behavioural changes in response, we're endothermic and put a jumper on similarly to how an ectotherm would move out of shade etc. This is true.
- Endotherms do show physiological responses to changes in temp through feedback loops, e.g. vasodilation/vasoconstriction, but ectotherms can have physiological adaptations too, e.g. the horned lizard can alter it's surface area by expanding or contracting its rib cage.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jsg9
- Ectotherms do not regulate body temp by homeostasis, first statement is true.
- I wouldn't say ectotherms can't detect changes in external temp, they have to be able to in order to change their behaviour accordingly. I'd say second statement is false.
- Yes, both endotherms and ectotherms show behavioural changes in response, we're endothermic and put a jumper on similarly to how an ectotherm would move out of shade etc. This is true.
- Endotherms do show physiological responses to changes in temp through feedback loops, e.g. vasodilation/vasoconstriction, but ectotherms can have physiological adaptations too, e.g. the horned lizard can alter it's surface area by expanding or contracting its rib cage.

Hope that helps :smile:

wow, they're great answers :biggrin:
thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by Mkayw
wow, they're great answers :biggrin:
thanks.

No problem. I made a change to the first answer though, I got thrown by the wording

Quick Reply

Latest