The Student Room Group

London Academy of Excellence

I really want to go to this school. It seems really nice and I want to be surrounded by students with similar goals to mine.
Can any students who go there tell me what it's like?
Can you leave for lunch and break?
Do the teachers help or do they quit on underachieving students?
What's the general atmosphere like?
Would I be able to balance a part time job with the "academically rigorous" curriculum?
My other options are:
Chobham
Brampton
Leyton
NewVic
Which would you say is best?
Thanks
Y13 student at LAE

Yes you can leave during break, lunch and any free periods you have.

Teachers are incredibly supportive of less able pupils. They host many drop in sessions after school and generally love answering questions you have randomly during break or lunch. It should be noted that at the end of Y12 if you don't achieve 3Cs you will probably be kicked out. There are so many opportunities to get support that if you still perform that poorly they kick you out (other than in extreme circumstances).
As for your part time job, I know a few people who also balance part time jobs with education. However it requires a certain type of person who is more organised and able to juggle responsibilities. It's certainly possible, but be ready to drop the job if it's too much.

In terms of the general atmosphere, it's just normal. People hang out in the Agora/Canteen sofas and play cards, it's lively and loud in there. There's a community of people who chill in the library. Its the type of environment where people might just come up to you and ask what you are reading, leading to engaging and satisfying conversation. In lessons I love asking questions and I'm always somewhat excited, happy and certainly loud. This is not seen as nerdy and I've never felt out place. Since our headmaster put up the great map showing where last year's cohort went to university, there's often a small group of people just looking at it and thinking about where they may sit on that map in the future. During exam and university application season the library gets fuller. People love helping each other out and I often see people working on personal statements together, or answering questions. I will be sitting a university entrance exam, and when I've hit a wall with a hard past paper question, I can freely walk into a available maths teachers class, or just ask somebody nearby if they would like to help me with a challenging question. Unless they are busy, people are fine. The librarian is also great. If you want to order a book she will do so on your behalf, and mail you when it arrives. There's a wide range of sports and clubs available including things like Feminist society and debating to student investor challenge, chess, drama and Excel Club.

The greatest asset is the teaching. Staff always have a relevant degree and experience in the subject they teach. We have Economics teachers who were post hedge fund managers, and most teachers have gone to top universities if not Oxbridge. If you ever want inspiration, degree ideas or life lessons they will happily provide. Staff are generally very young and fairly fresh from university. However the teacher selection process only lets in the great staff.

I love it here!

I also considered the exact same colleges you have. LSC and NewVic are fundamentally different to the top tier academic sixth forms that make up the rest of your list. From looking at the colleges during open days I concluded that LAE was the most enriching environment and I'm glad I am here.
Original post by Hussain Alam
Y13 student at LAE

Teachers are incredibly supportive of less able pupils. They host many drop in sessions after school and generally love answering questions you have randomly during break or lunch. It should be noted that at the end of Y12 if you don't achieve 3Cs you will probably be kicked out. There are so many opportunities to get support that if you still perform that poorly they kick you out (other than in extreme circumstances).
As for your part time job, I know a few people who also balance part time jobs with education. However it requires a certain type of person who is more organised and able to juggle responsibilities. It's certainly possible, but be ready to drop the job if it's too much.

In terms of the general atmosphere, it's just normal. People hang out in the Agora/Canteen sofas and play cards, it's lively and loud in there. There's a community of people who chill in the library. Its the type of environment where people might just come up to you and ask what you are reading, leading to engaging and satisfying conversation. In lessons I love asking questions and I'm always somewhat excited, happy and certainly loud. This is not seen as nerdy and I've never felt out place. Since our headmaster put up the great map showing where last year's cohort went to university, there's often a small group of people just looking at it and thinking about where they may sit on that map in the future. During exam and university application season the library gets fuller. People love helping each other out and I often see people working on personal statements together, or answering questions. I will be sitting a university entrance exam, and when I've hit a wall with a hard past paper question, I can freely walk into a available maths teachers class, or just ask somebody nearby if they would like to help me with a challenging question. Unless they are busy, people are fine. The librarian is also great. If you want to order a book she will do so on your behalf, and mail you when it arrives. There's a wide range of sports and clubs available including things like Feminist society and debating to student investor challenge, chess, drama and Excel Club.

The greatest asset is the teaching. Staff always have a relevant degree and experience in the subject they teach. We have Economics teachers who were post hedge fund managers, and most teachers have gone to top universities if not Oxbridge. If you ever want inspiration, degree ideas or life lessons they will happily provide. Staff are generally very young and fairly fresh from university. However the teacher selection process only lets in the great staff.

I love it here!

I also considered the exact same colleges you have. LSC and NewVic are fundamentally different to the top tier academic sixth forms that make up the rest of your list. From looking at the colleges during open days I concluded that LAE was the most enriching environment and I'm glad I am here.

Thanks so much for your reply. I really wanna be around people who are social but still academically focussed. I heard a lot of things about how Lae teachers are unqualified and unhelpful so just wanted to make sure
Now I really wanna go there lol
Y13 student at LAE

I love it here!

+ What courses do you study?
Original post by Schoolquestions
+ What courses do you study?

I studied maths, economics, chemistry and physics. I got AAAA. I voluntarily dropped physics, hence I study Maths, economics and chemistry at Y13. I want to study Economics at Cambridge.

I first wanted to add an unrelated point.
At LAE we have a member of staff whose only job is to search for opportunities for students at LAE. Every week the weekly bulletin is full of top quality opportunities, including essay competitions, summer schools and top apprenticeships. She does her job incredibly well, and her work is heavily appreciated. If you study at LAE you will have a wide range of opportunities that will shape your decision of what to do afterwards. It's just up to you to engage with them. Just looking at last week we had the UCL Uni-Link, [University of] Reading scholars and Career Ready.

LAE teaching is interesting, in that there is a constant cycle of new teachers replacing the old. Why? Because LAE doesn't require the regular teaching degrees that most sixth forms do. Instead they recruit based on how well they can engage students, their passion for the subject, past experience teaching/tutoring, ability shown during taster lessons at LAE, and if they can give strong advice to candidates of what university is like and if you should study their subject. Most teachers are young and fresh from university. However, as you might already be aware, many graduates have no idea what they want to do with their degree. Hence they often try teaching for a while (if they pass the LAE teacher test). However as they are young and often have dreams outside of teaching they leave. Some use this to gain easy teaching experience before going to private schools, some want some savings before becoming entrepreneurs.

So yes, LAE teachers are largely "unqualified", but all of them have the same degree as the subject they teach, and have shown brilliance in engaging pupils. LAE teachers have a strong commitment to making their students perform well, and there are interventions and drop-ins twice a week. They all love answering questions, even when not related to the subject or the curriculum. Again I would heavily recommend applying here if you want a free private school education.
Do you kno`w anything about enrolling into the college even if you don't have an offer?
I studied maths, economics, chemistry and physics. I got AAAA. I voluntarily dropped physics, hence I study Maths, economics and chemistry at Y13. I want to study Economics at Cambridge.

At LAE we have a member of staff whose only job is to search for opportunities for students at LAE. Every week the weekly bulletin is full of top quality opportunities, including essay competitions, summer schools and top apprenticeships. She does her job incredibly well, and her work is heavily appreciated. If you study at LAE you will have a wide range of opportunities that will shape your decision of what to do afterwards. It's just up to you to engage with them. Just looking at last week we had the UCL Uni-Link, [University of] Reading scholars and Career Ready.

LAE teaching is interesting, in that there is a constant cycle of new teachers replacing the old. Why? Because LAE doesn't require the regular teaching degrees that most sixth forms do. Instead they recruit based on how well they can engage students, their passion for the subject, past experience teaching/tutoring, ability shown during taster lessons at LAE, and if they can give strong advice to candidates of what university is like and if you should study their subject. Most teachers are young and fresh from university. However, as you might already be aware, many graduates have no idea what they want to do with their degree. Hence they often try teaching for a while (if they pass the LAE teacher test). However as they are young and often have dreams outside of teaching they leave. Some use this to gain easy teaching experience before going to private schools, some want some savings before becoming entrepreneurs.

So yes, LAE teachers are largely "unqualified", but all of them have the same degree as the subject they teach, and have shown brilliance in engaging pupils. LAE teachers have a strong commitment to making their students perform well, and there are interventions and drop-ins twice a week. They all love answering questions, even when not related to the subject or the curriculum. Again I would heavily recommend applying here if you want a free private school education.
Reply 6
are you allowed to carry on with 4 a levels into year 13?

Reply 7
You are allowed if you get good enough grades, say AAAA or AAAB etc.

Original post by Soybob
are you allowed to carry on with 4 a levels into year 13?
Do you know if there is accommodation near LAE?
I studied maths, economics, chemistry and physics. I got AAAA.

Sorry, I had to! :rofl:

Well done though, that's a great set of results. :congrats:

Unqualified teachers coming and going doesn't appeal to me. Surely this has a negative impact on students
(edited 4 years ago)
what if you did poorly on your December exams like a grade 4-7 but you get higher grades like a grade7-9 on your March exams will they still let you in?also would they let you in if your punctuality is a 93%
Y13 student at LAE

I love it here!

what if you got around grades4-7 in your December mocks and for March mocks you got grades7-9 would LAE still let you in, and what if your punctuality is 93% does that matter also should i put my December grades on the application form for lae or should i wait till i get my march results(although i think the application would meet the deadline and close) if you don't know plzz find out for me i am stressing sooo much i don't know what to do i feel like giving up
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest