The Student Room Group

Gcse art and other subjects

I do GCSE Art and 11 gcse subjects in total.
I am currently in year 10 and wish to study my subjects as well as complete my artworks of coursework. However, I really struggle with time management, meaning that my coursework in art and child development gets in the way and blocks my way of studying generally for my other subjects. Therefore I have not also covered or revisited topics I did in my subjects for my folders from last year as year 9 was my first gcse courses year of learning content etc. how do I manage my time for studying as well as doing art and child care as I have a lot of coursework for them? Also is there any tips for getting an a* in art? I have been told that we must show our development through working at a C first however I have been told that I’m working at an A first. How do I work my self up to an a*? As well as getting a distinction* in my child development? Also, I want to get a’s on my other subjects or them numbers on the new system which is equivalent to these grades

Thanks for the help
Reply 1
Original post by Sharminkhan02
I do GCSE Art and 11 gcse subjects in total.
I am currently in year 10 and wish to study my subjects as well as complete my artworks of coursework. However, I really struggle with time management, meaning that my coursework in art and child development gets in the way and blocks my way of studying generally for my other subjects. Therefore I have not also covered or revisited topics I did in my subjects for my folders from last year as year 9 was my first gcse courses year of learning content etc. how do I manage my time for studying as well as doing art and child care as I have a lot of coursework for them? Also is there any tips for getting an a* in art? I have been told that we must show our development through working at a C first however I have been told that I’m working at an A first. How do I work my self up to an a*? As well as getting a distinction* in my child development? Also, I want to get a’s on my other subjects or them numbers on the new system which is equivalent to these grades

Thanks for the help

I'm in year 10 as well and do GCSE Art. If you want an A*/8 in Art, you really need to dedicate your time to your coursework - there isn't really any other way to put this. I would suggest spending your lunchtimes in the Art room (if possible) every single day. Try to take as many afterschool Art sessions as possible. Consult your teacher often and tell him/her that you are willing to put the effort in to get the grade that you want. I don't know if your school does this, but in my school, you can miss P.E. and do Art lessons instead. Don't think of Art as a school subject or chore, think of it as a hobby. I am not familiar with the child development course, but if I were you, I would talk to your teacher to work out what's best for you. If you want high grades in your other subjects, always stay on top of your work. You must always do your homework the day it's set; trust me, it makes life easier. Don't stress and try to maintain a positive attitude, even when you might get the grades you don't want in controlled assessments. Your mocks are really important and do your best in them. If you work hard, nothing will go wrong. And one more thing - don't compare your progress or grades to other people's grades. Because if you do, you'll think you're not smart or good enough.
Good luck, feel free to PM me whenever you want 🙂
Thank you so much for your help! I will look into missing pe however when I asked my art teacher can I sit in her room and do art she did not permit me as she has her lunch however I was offered another office. Also, I feel as though I am falling down in my other subjects. I have lost knowledge from the teachings of my previous year and do not know where to start revision
I did GCSE art. It was quite difficult to manage my time at the start of year 10. The best thing I did was to stay back 3-4 hours one evening at school to complete any work if I didn't have any work for my other subjects due the next day. If you can't do this, you can dedicate an afternoon of your weekend to do it.
I managed to get an A at the end. I just missed out on an A* by 2 marks because my artist research and collection of pictures was not as detailed as they expected. So as well as making your artwork perfect, make sure you spend enough time researching and making all your work for one project link together.
As for your other subjects, spend 10-15 minutes a day going over what you have learnt that day for each subject. If there are things you don't understand, take some time out at the weekend to go through it.

Hope that helps:smile:
Original post by Just Somebody
I did GCSE art. It was quite difficult to manage my time at the start of year 10. The best thing I did was to stay back 3-4 hours one evening at school to complete any work if I didn't have any work for my other subjects due the next day. If you can't do this, you can dedicate an afternoon of your weekend to do it.
I managed to get an A at the end. I just missed out on an A* by 2 marks because my artist research and collection of pictures was not as detailed as they expected. So as well as making your artwork perfect, make sure you spend enough time researching and making all your work for one project link together.
As for your other subjects, spend 10-15 minutes a day going over what you have learnt that day for each subject. If there are things you don't understand, take some time out at the weekend to go through it.

Hope that helps:smile:

Thanks so much! I tried to do this method this year however I just didn’t haven the opportunity to. I spend ages on my artworks and hoping for an a*. By the way, I apply a lot of annotation towards my artist research pages and basically everything. I type them up too as I know it won’t fit onto pages. Would examiners even read large amounts of typed up annotation? This is because I handed in my courseowk to my teacher and the looks of the annotation she thought that I copied and pasted however I did not do so. I’m afraid that examiners will think the same by just looking at the amount I have typed
Reply 5
I did Art GCSE and my years biggest mistake was doing Art homework laat minute. DO IT AS SOON AS YOU GET IT. But honestly my advice is that if you don't want to do Art A level then DROP IT!! Your only in year 10 and its still October so I think you can get away with switching to another subject.
Original post by Sharminkhan02
Thanks so much! I tried to do this method this year however I just didn’t haven the opportunity to. I spend ages on my artworks and hoping for an a*. By the way, I apply a lot of annotation towards my artist research pages and basically everything. I type them up too as I know it won’t fit onto pages. Would examiners even read large amounts of typed up annotation? This is because I handed in my courseowk to my teacher and the looks of the annotation she thought that I copied and pasted however I did not do so. I’m afraid that examiners will think the same by just looking at the amount I have typed

You don't need lots of annotations. As long as you explain the artist work and techniques and the meaning behind it. Then relate it to your project. These are the main things they are looking for. Only make annotations if you are going to do something about it. When you write something, use that to build on your next piece of work so the examiner knows you are actually using your research.

I suggest that you write it by hand instead of typing. Typing does look suspicious at times but if it is hand written it looks like you have put thought into it.

When your work is marked, it is usually done by teachers and they give you an overall grade. The examiners will come and look a sample of work from your school to check if teachers are not being too lenient.
Original post by Just Somebody
You don't need lots of annotations. As long as you explain the artist work and techniques and the meaning behind it. Then relate it to your project. These are the main things they are looking for. Only make annotations if you are going to do something about it. When you write something, use that to build on your next piece of work so the examiner knows you are actually using your research.

I suggest that you write it by hand instead of typing. Typing does look suspicious at times but if it is hand written it looks like you have put thought into it.

When your work is marked, it is usually done by teachers and they give you an overall grade. The examiners will come and look a sample of work from your school to check if teachers are not being too lenient.

Thanks so much for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest